THEY DEMAND HIGHER PAY

A teacher in Florida allegedly drowned two raccoons and an opossum with help from students, school officials and parents said.

Dewie Brewton, who teaches at Forest High School in Ocala, was placed on administrative leave with pay and removed from the classroom “pending the outcome of a district investigation,” Marion County Public Schools officials told the Ocala Star-Banner.

“We received statements that the teacher drowned multiple animals in front of students, and with student participation, because the animals were nuisances,” spokesman Kevin Christian said.

One of Brewton’s students who attended Monday’s class came home in tears after the raccoons were drowned and the opossum was later killed “just for sport,” the boy’s mother told WKMG.

“It made me sick,” the mother told the station. “It made me sick to my stomach. It’s terrible. It still does make me sick to my stomach.”

Video footage recorded by the woman’s son shows a raccoon trapped inside a metal cage placed inside a garbage bin that was then filled with water.

“That one’s, like, super, super small,” one girl in the video says of the animals. “That one probably didn’t do anything.”

“When the raccoons tried to come up for air, they had metal rods and they held them down with metal rods and when the raccoon would try to pop its head up, they held water hoses in its face to drown it,” the woman said.

“I don’t think that’s the way to treat any animal,” she said.

A spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said an investigation is under way to determine if criminal charges are warranted in the incident. The findings will then be presented to the state attorney’s office, WKMG reports.

Brewton was Forest High School’s Teacher of the Year nominee in 2010.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/16/video-shows-teacher-drowning-animals-in-front-of-class/