Members banned from this thread: evince and canceled.2021.1

Thread: LR - The Tyranny of Metrics

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default LR - The Tyranny of Metrics

I thought of you while listening to this podcast today. Here's how it is described:

Historian and author Jerry Muller of Catholic University talks about his latest book, The Tyranny of Metrics, with EconTalk host Russ Roberts. Muller argues that public policy and management are overly focused on measurable outcomes as a measure of success. This leads to organizations and agencies over-focusing on metrics rather than their broader mission. The conversation includes applications to education, crime, and health care.

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/201...muller_on.html

It talks about testing and how we use testing to measure students can hurt their overall growth. It mentions the problem NCLB was trying to solve but how it didn't. It also mentions incentives and bonus pay and how the measurements for it aren't the best.

If you are interested I think the first 10 - 15 minutes is on education and you might find it interest.

At the end the author talks about judgement and how we need more of it instead of just metrics. They give an example of a principal and that a principal knows who the best teachers are and should they be able to determine which teachers get higher pay. Of course there are issues with that but they were pointing to judgement that should be allowed as a factor.

Interesting discussion.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,205 Times in 3,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,204 Times in 1,881 Posts

HAHAHA. A thinly veiled call for more affirmative action quotas because blacks do so terrible on all standardized tests.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

It was very interesting. Again, I think it points to the task of merit based salaries as being a super difficult one to implement and perform. While an honest principal could do a decent job, there is a lot of room for nepotism, favoritism and, yes, racism to enter the picture. Fortunately at this stage in my career, and with my career being mathematics it is something I won’t have to deal with.

If our legislators don’t reneg on their agreement I’ll be making more money than I ever thought I would next year...nearly $50K. I’ll be ok.