Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: atheists go to heaven: the Pope

1. #226 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    ????....don't be silly.....a perfect, omniscient, omnipotent, and all-loving God can certainly tell you that he so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life......Christ died for you on a tree that was not in a forest......
    So as an example, is your point that if Hitler stated he believed right before he killed himself, he would go to heaven?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

rjhenn (04-28-2018)

3. #227 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    They also get upset if you point out that were it not for Martin Luther, they'd still be Catholics themselves.
    Lol.

― Charles Dickens

4. #228 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    So as an example, is your point that if Hitler stated he believed right before he killed himself, he would go to heaven?
    no.....stating it is not enough......but if God found that he truly believed it, then yes...and that is what God judges, not whether you've been good or bad....if that were the test, everyone would be in hell......

5. #229 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,288 Times in 27,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    They also get upset if you point out that were it not for Martin Luther, they'd still be Catholics themselves.
    That is where being informed, educated, and erudite comes into action.

Because I am pretty sure I have met bible thumping Evangelicals who would not get what you are talking about. Which gets back to my point about people who claim to be fervent Christians, but don't actually know much about Chrisitanity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

rjhenn (04-28-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-24-2018)

7. #230 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

so please tell me what Catholics follow.......has the Pope abandoned the edicts of the 60s that said salvation comes solely from faith in Jesus Christ or is he now saying, as this thread claims, that even people who deny that God exists will be in heaven?.......
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/po...ration_en.html
    The short version:

The Catholic Church is the community of those who profess their belief in Jesus Christ as the Son of
    God, publicly affirm that belief through Baptism, celebrate it through the Eucharist, accept the teachings
    of Christ that have come down to us from the apostles, and carry out the sacramental life and mission of
    the Church under the leadership of the pope and those ordained in apostolic succession.

― Charles Dickens

8. #231 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The short version:

The Catholic Church is the community of those who profess their belief in Jesus Christ as the Son of
    God, publicly affirm that belief through Baptism, celebrate it through the Eucharist, accept the teachings
    of Christ that have come down to us from the apostles, and carry out the sacramental life and mission of
    the Church under the leadership of the pope and those ordained in apostolic succession.

so has the Pope changed that or not?....

9. #232 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

no.....stating it is not enough......but if God found that he truly believed it, then yes...and that is what God judges, not whether you've been good or bad....if that were the test, everyone would be in hell......
    The person who sinned by bearing false witness, for example, is not on the same level as the person who called for the extermination of millions.

― Charles Dickens

10. #233 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

so has the Pope changed that or not?....
    Not ex-cathedra.

― Charles Dickens

11. #234 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The person who sinned by bearing false witness, for example, is not on the same level as the person who called for the extermination of millions.
    /shrugs.......we believe there is no difference.......any disobedience is disobedience......be that as it may, does the Bible have two standards......"believe on the Lord Jesus and be saved unless you've been a real nasty bitch like Hitler"?.......I missed that passage of scripture......

12. #235 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Not ex-cathedra.
    so are you saying this thead is a lie?.....that atheists won't be going to heaven?.....or are you saying the pope is simply wrong but its okay because he wasn't being official......I understand its okay to be fallible if you aren't being official......

13. #236 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Who is threatening you? You're argument is with God, not us. All I can do is present what God says about salvation. The rest? It's between you and God. Fight it out with him.....or not if he doesn't interest you.
    My argument isn't with God since I will never get a response. The only people who respond are those who think they speak for God. People like you who love to use threats of hell fire and eternal punishment as your selling point.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gotcha68 For This Post:

rjhenn (04-28-2018)

15. #237 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

PMP is a fucking retard. These idiots need counseling. If only he could see that when scripture is quoted as some ultimate reality,
    it has the same effect on me as would some fruitcake explaining to him how the Jedi Force is real. He would know is was just a fucking fable
    and laugh his ass off. These losers have made a corrupt and horrid industry out of deceiving vulnerable idiots the world over.

Stretch, fuck yourself. God doesn't say shit to anyone. You are parroting some ancient asshole con artists and their present counterparts.

Yuck. This world sucks. These losers need to check out. I want to die and come back in a million years when these idiots have evolved.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

rjhenn (04-28-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-24-2018)

17. #238 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    My argument isn't with God since I will never get a response. The only people who respond are those who think they speak for God. People like you who love to use threats of hell fire and eternal punishment as your selling point.
    So, you won't talk to God because you think he won't answer you (at least the way YOU expect an answer).
    I can only post God's Word. His Word is how he speaks and responds to us. Take it or leave it.
    We have only 2 choices. Life or death...and then the Lord is even loving enough to GIVE us right answer!

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him.
    Deut 30:19-20
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

TOP (04-24-2018)

19. #239 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    So, you won't talk to God because you think he won't answer you (at least the way YOU expect an answer).
    I can only post God's Word. His Word is how he speaks and responds to us. Take it or leave it.
    We have only 2 choices. Life or death...and then the Lord is even loving enough to GIVE us right answer!

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him.
    Deut 30:19-20
    I "won't" talk to your God because there has never been evidence it existed beyond a book written by men and beyond the threats of eternal violence if you don't believe in it by its followers.

You need to work on your sales pitch if you want to convince anyone of your mental issues aka faith in an invisible being.

20. #240 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    That is where being informed, educated, and erudite comes into action.

Because I am pretty sure I have met bible thumping Evangelicals who would not get what you are talking about. Which gets back to my point about people who claim to be fervent Christians, but don't actually know much about Chrisitanity.
    Yet atheists like you claim to know all about it. Funny how you think you can understand something that has to be viewed in a theological manner by looking at it in a secular one.