Thread: Comey To Cancel Book Tour As DOJ Investigates

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    If those thoughts keep you getting up in the morning, keep believing them. Have you read Muellers book?
    I bought it just today at Costco, which is far more than you will ever do

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    I bought it just today at Costco, which is far more than you will ever do
    Undoubtedly. I have some scruples. Here, just for you. Even though one of these is a NYT review I could not help but notice it is no where on their best sellers list.

Michiko Kakutani, in a return to the New York Times review desk, praises Comey’s gift for narrative:

“The central themes that Comey returns to throughout this impassioned book are the toxic consequences of lying; and the corrosive effects of choosing loyalty to an individual over truth and the rule of law … Comey’s book fleshes out the testimony he gave before the Senate Intelligence Committee in June 2017 with considerable emotional detail, and it showcases its author’s gift for narrative … The volume offers little in the way of hard news revelations about investigations by the F.B.I. or the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III…What A Higher Loyalty does give readers are some near-cinematic accounts of what Comey was thinking.”

While over at Rolling Stone, Garrett M. Graff describes the book as interesting but lacking in self-reflection:

“Most Americans will never go beyond the juicy bits trumpeted by the wall-to-wall Comey coverage this week— but they should. James Comey’s book is more interesting and more important than the gossipy headlines make it out to be, albeit not necessarily for the reasons the author may have wanted … Higher Loyalty is really three different books in one. It’s a meditation on ethical leadership (a conceit that disappears for scores of pages at a time), a traditional memoir of a senior public servant and an exposition of Trump’s presidency … It’s an obviously hurried project and one that perhaps would have benefited from more distance for self-reflection … I believe, too, that Comey believes he consistently did the right thing for the right reasons throughout 2016. That said, he doesn’t do a good job of convincing readers why he did what he did – those seeking insights into his decisions over the course of 2016 will likely find themselves disappointed by his accounting and reckoning with those actions in this book.”

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Undoubtedly. I have some scruples. Here, just for you. Even though one of these is a NYT review I could not help but notice it is no where on their best sellers list.

Michiko Kakutani, in a return to the New York Times review desk, praises Comey’s gift for narrative:

“The central themes that Comey returns to throughout this impassioned book are the toxic consequences of lying; and the corrosive effects of choosing loyalty to an individual over truth and the rule of law … Comey’s book fleshes out the testimony he gave before the Senate Intelligence Committee in June 2017 with considerable emotional detail, and it showcases its author’s gift for narrative … The volume offers little in the way of hard news revelations about investigations by the F.B.I. or the special counsel Robert S. Mueller III…What A Higher Loyalty does give readers are some near-cinematic accounts of what Comey was thinking.”

While over at Rolling Stone, Garrett M. Graff describes the book as interesting but lacking in self-reflection:

“Most Americans will never go beyond the juicy bits trumpeted by the wall-to-wall Comey coverage this week— but they should. James Comey’s book is more interesting and more important than the gossipy headlines make it out to be, albeit not necessarily for the reasons the author may have wanted … Higher Loyalty is really three different books in one. It’s a meditation on ethical leadership (a conceit that disappears for scores of pages at a time), a traditional memoir of a senior public servant and an exposition of Trump’s presidency … It’s an obviously hurried project and one that perhaps would have benefited from more distance for self-reflection … I believe, too, that Comey believes he consistently did the right thing for the right reasons throughout 2016. That said, he doesn’t do a good job of convincing readers why he did what he did – those seeking insights into his decisions over the course of 2016 will likely find themselves disappointed by his accounting and reckoning with those actions in this book.”
    It is AMAZON, my dear, the #1 bookseller in the world who puts Mr. Comeys book as the #1 best seller. Please tell your handlers when I say Amazon, not to go to the NYT out of frustration. Its interesting that your people try to use the NYT, which they hate and despise, as a source. Your consistency sucks.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    It is AMAZON, my dear, the #1 bookseller in the world who puts Mr. Comeys book as the #1 best seller. Please tell your handlers when I say Amazon, not to go to the NYT out of frustration. Its interesting that your people try to use the NYT, which they hate and despise, as a source. Your consistency sucks.
    Seems I have hit another sore spot with you. Why does the truth pain you so?