Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook Co-Founder Wants Universal Basic Income

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Facebook Co-Founder Wants Universal Basic Income

This guy has written a book arguing for a Universal Basic Income. I've heard a couple of Libertarians argue on behalf of an UBI before but I've also heard the counter argument that an UBI will fail to instill in a person the pride that comes from getting a job and earning their money. An UBI is not imminent but it is getting discussed more.

Facebook co-founder on his $430 million fortune: 'The only thing we can call it is a lucky break'

Chris Hughes went from living in a small town in North Carolina to attending Harvard on a scholarship. During his freshman year, Hughes met Mark Zuckerberg.
    His life changed forever.

Hughes became a co-founder of Facebook with Zuckerberg and made "half a billion dollars for three years of work," according to a February 2018 LinkedIn post by Hughes.

It does not go unnoticed by Hughes, how crazy that is.

"You know, the only thing we can call it is a lucky break," Hughes says of his wealth — $430 million as of December 2016, according to Forbes — on a recent episode of Kara Swisher's Recode Decode podcast.

"I grew up in a little town, Hickory, North Carolina. It's at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains … I grew up there, my mom was a public school teacher, dad was a traveling paper salesman, but then I got a scholarship to go to a fancy boarding school, Phillips Andover, up in Massachusetts," Hughes says.

"It was there where I lost the accent and then later got a scholarship to go to Harvard and met Mark Zuckerberg, freshman year. We ended up roommates sophomore year, started Facebook in February of 2004, the rocket ship took off and my life changed pretty dramatically," he explains.

Though Zuckerberg famously dropped out of Harvard to pursue Facebook, Hughes graduated. In 2007, Hughes left Facebook to work for then-Senator Barack Obama's first presidential campaign.

More than a decade later, Hughes has become an advocate for universal basic income, a cash payment distributed to everyone irrespective of employment status. He wrote a book promoting the idea, "Fair Shot: Rethinking Inequality and How We Earn," which was published in February 2018.

"I ended up wanting to write the book in order to partially tell my story and be clear that the financial reward that I got from three years' worth of work at Facebook was entirely disproportionate to the time and effort put in," says Hayes.

"I might be extreme but I don't think my case is actually that unusual. A small group of people are getting very, very wealthy while everybody else is struggling to make ends meets," Hughes continues.

Zuckerberg also admitted the inequity of his own wealth in his Harvard commencement speech delivered in May.

"Let's face it. There is something wrong with our system when I can leave here and make billions of dollars in 10 years while millions of students can't afford to pay off their loans, let alone start a business," Zuckerberg said in his commencement address.

"We all know we don't succeed just by having a good idea or working hard. We succeed by being lucky too. If I had to support my family growing up instead of having time to code, if I didn't know I'd be fine if Facebook didn't work out, I wouldn't be standing here today. If we're honest, we all know how much luck we've had," Zuckerberg said.

Zuckerberg also advocated for new societal structures to encourage individuals to experiment, like cash handouts. "We should explore ideas like universal basic income to give everyone a cushion to try new things," the Zuckerberg said.

Hughes says same system that allowed people like Zuckerberg and him to get rich has also left many working people stranded.

"America has created and supported powerful economic forces—specifically globalization, rapid technological development, and the growth of finance—that have made the rise of Larry Page, Jeff Bezos, and other new billionaires possible," Hughes writes on LinkedIn.

"The companies we built went from dorm room ideas to assets worth hundreds of billions of dollars because America provided the companies with a fertile environment for explosive growth."

However, "The same forces that have given rise to massive companies and concentrated wealth have made it more difficult for working people to benefit from the economic opportunity they expect and deserve," he writes. "Something is profoundly wrong with our economy and in our country, and we have to fix it."

In December 2016, Hughes co-founded theEconomic Security Project, an initiative which aims to increase the visibility of universal basic income as a solution.
    Currently, the Economic Security Project is partnered with Stockton, Calif., Mayor Michael Tubbs to institute a cash handout program there, called the the Stockton Economic Empowerment Demonstration (SEED). For the program, 100 residents of Stockton will receive $500 a month for a year and a half. The payments will be distributed by early 2019, according to the SEED website.

Hughes says he is not the only person to have made a lot of money very quickly in tech who is aware of the oddity of their own quick trip to extreme wealth.
    "A lot of the people that I talk to are cognizant of a sense of responsibility they have to other people. It's in San Francisco, it's in New York. ... I think that there is a sense, particularly amongst people who have been successful in technology, that the rewards that have come are very much historically unique," says Hughes on Recode Decode.

"We've never lived in a time where 20-year-olds are able to go from zero dollars to hundreds of millions of dollars, billions of dollars, before. Royalty is like the closest thing, hundreds of years ago, and so that is ... I do think that there's a widening sense that something is happening in the economy that makes that possible, and it's happening at the exact same time that everybody else is having a hard time making ends meet."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/face...twitter%7Cmain

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-23-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Great, I'll send him a request for a million dollars in cash.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

Bourbon (04-23-2018), Truth Detector (04-23-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds great, along with public work projects. I'm for it.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    You're for anything where those not earning it get it and where it's funded by someone other than those supporting it.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    Great, I'll send him a request for a million dollars in cash.
    If AI kills off many people's jobs, then in order to avoid the mother of all recessions, there will have to be something like that in future.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,553 Times in 17,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

The wealthy are aware that as trends toward enriching those at the top and eliminating lower class jobs, will end up with a lot of people with no money and no hope. Basic income is how they buy their safety.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    If AI kills off many people's jobs, then in order to avoid the mother of all recessions, there will have to be something like that in future.
    It's already in place. Currently in the U.S., it's $7.25 with some localities establishing a higher amount for their jurisdictions.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The wealthy are aware that as trends toward enriching those at the top and eliminating lower class jobs, will end up with a lot of people with no money and no hope. Basic income is how they buy their safety.
    If you want them to have what they didn't earn, write them a check with your money.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This guy has written a book arguing for a Universal Basic Income. I've heard a couple of Libertarians argue on behalf of an UBI before but I've also heard the counter argument that an UBI will fail to instill in a person the pride that comes from getting a job and earning their money. An UBI is not imminent but it is getting discussed more.
    I am constantly amazed how educated derelicts can argue for such a moronic idea. But this is the kind of idiots we are graduating these days.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    This guy has written a book arguing for a Universal Basic Income.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/face...twitter%7Cmain
    I'll believe he truly supports it when he write a check to fund it.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,334 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MicSlawber View Post
    Of course you are; because they have worked so perfect where such stupidity has been tried right? This is the lack of thinking one can expect from the left. They never wonder where the money will come from when the Government takes over EVERYTHING.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,539 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    You're for anything where those not earning it get it and where it's funded by someone other than those supporting it.
    Blue states already subsidize red states. Now red states want even more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I am constantly amazed how educated derelicts can argue for such a moronic idea. But this is the kind of idiots we are graduating these days.
    I'd be more interested to know when he's going to write a personal check to fund it.

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Blue states already subsidize red states. Now red states want even more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
    Perhaps the 60%+ majority minority blue district in my state should quit using food stamps at a rate greater than 20% and stop making the red areas in the state look bad.

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Perhaps the 60%+ majority minority blue district in my state should quit using food stamps at a rate greater than 20% and stop making the red areas in the state look bad.
    Your good at making this shit up at a moments notice, even though there is no basis in fact.