1. #376 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    It is fundamental to science that when an set of conditions is met, the result will be the same.
    If that was not the assumption, there would not be the requirement of replication.
    If the result can not be replicated then nothing has been discover, except that the experiment has been shown to be invalid.
    If the recipe only has the same result for some percentage, that is reported with the understanding that something is unknown
    that is knowable. Never is it thought some religious pixie dust is lacking from the procedure, despite the joy it may
    bring god in the gaps crowds.

Once god was on high riding a winged horse, now he has to hide in quantum fuzziness or inside black holes.
    We are winning, bigly.
    ????......God hasn't changed.......regardless of who Satan uses as a puppet, he lost a long long time ago......

2. #377 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,773 Times in 27,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

3. #378 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    If God exists, why wouldn't there ultimately be a scientific explanation for that existence?

It might exist outside of the specific scientific rules of this universe, but ultimately - if we could ever have access to origins and evidence - the existence of God should be just as provable via the scientific method as anything.
    Science is one thing—philosophy is another.

Any intelligent agency is disqualified at the starting line in science. But that by no means precludes one. The apparent fine tuning of the physical constants can only be explained away by invoking infinite universes.

But like God, you can’t see them lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

4. #379 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Nope. Ass-backwards dead wrong, a false analogy, and an uninformed assertion. What you are referring to is a hypothesis, an educated guess, and scientists have been very clear about that, especially when extrapolating to extraterrestrial life. It is certainly not a "scientific consensus" that results from repeated testing, observation, and probing of multiple lines of evidence.

If you want to claim scientists have it wrong on evolution, and if you genuinely respect the scientific method, it is incumbent upon you to come up with an alternative hypothesis - one that fits a century's worth of all the observational, genetic, and empirical data...one that does not invoke magic, the supernatural, conjecture, or supreme beings.
    you've just admitted all you have is only an educated guess.......does that somehow stack up higher than a statement of faith in your mind?.....or did you think you have some repeated testing of macro-evolution?........

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Darth Omar (04-22-2018)

6. #380 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,773 Times in 27,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

quit pretending religion is better than science

science and religion are completely different things

there is ONE science

there are a plethora of religions who say many many different things

7. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

rjhenn (04-23-2018)

8. #381 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Science is one thing—philosophy is another.

Any intelligent agency is disqualified at the starting line in science. But that by no means precludes one. The apparent fine tuning of the physical constants can only be explained away by invoking infinite universes.

But like God, you can’t see them lol.
    Multiverse is just a theory.

You already said that it's just "easier" to believe in a god. That sums up a lot of the reason for religion throughout human history, but it's as far from science as you can get.

Finding a scientific reason for the existence of god isn't philosophy. It's probably not possible given that we can likely never know what happened prior to the big bang or likely know anything outside of this physical universe, but that doesn't mean there isn't science to it.

9. #382 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

its not even an hypothesis....science calls it speculation.....

10. #383 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

lib'ruls think they are wearing pants instead of being naked in public if they can pretend their non scientific arguments are actually science.......

11. #384 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lib'ruls think they are wearing pants instead of being naked in public if they can pretend their non scientific arguments are actually science.......
    A strange critique to be making when your position is essentially "there is just a god because there has to be."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

rjhenn (04-23-2018)

13. #385 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,713 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Life on other planets is not a scientific assumption, although I'm sure 999/1000 astronomers wouldn't bet against it.
    After all, they are rational people. There are 8 planets in our tiny solar system and 1 is teaming with life.
    What are the odds that with trillions of other solar systems, no life exists?
    You are right
    Still a hypothesis - an educated guess yet to be plausibly tested in a robust way - which is not the same as an pure assumption.

It is a very good hypothesis though, given the extreme range of environments on earth that life is capable of evolving in, and thriving in. It is a hypothesis that is reasonable to have high confidence in. Not all hypotheses are created equal.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

rjhenn (04-23-2018)

15. #386 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,713 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    you've just admitted all you have is only an educated guess.......does that somehow stack up higher than a statement of faith in your mind?.....or did you think you have some repeated testing of macro-evolution?........
    ^^^^
    Unread.
    Let me make this perfectly clear to you. I almost never read your posts. For one, you are an offensive prick who calls female posters cunts and bitches. I am not in the habit of indulging social degenerates who cannot practice basic etiquette. But you want to know the main reason I won't generally read you? You seem to have a very low education level, and you are just mind numbingly boring. To the point of being painful. I regret having to cut you loose, but I cannot associate with degenerate dunces, man!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

domer76 (04-22-2018), rjhenn (04-23-2018)

17. #387 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    religion is FAITH not FACT
    Faith is just a euphemism for delusional at worst and irrational at best. Optimism must be tempered by pessimism to forge sanity.

18. #388 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    ^^^^
    Unread.
    Let me make this perfectly clear to you. I almost never read your posts. For one, you are an offensive prick who calls female posters cunts and bitches. I am not in the habit of indulging social degenerates who cannot practice basic etiquette. But you want to know the main reason I won't generally read you? You seem to have a very low education level, and you are just mind numbingly boring. To the point of being painful. I regret having to cut you loose, but I cannot associate with degenerate dunces, man!
    I've blocked him for ages. There is no there there. You nailed it. He is an angry Christian soldier. Banal.

By the way, in all my web travels over a dozen years, the conscience and consciousness I have respected most and missed most
    was a Christian pastor. He called himself Gobear. A great mind and soul. Completely unlike many/most... I just disagree with about everything
    they post online. They are so often right wing weirdos.

What do you call a liberal person of faith in Christ, lover of charity both privately and publicly, who thinks and enjoys life over death?

I'd call that nearly a dodo bird.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

rjhenn (04-23-2018)

20. #389 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

You already said that it's just "easier" to believe in a god. That sums up a lot of the reason for religion throughout human history, but it's as far from science as you can get.

Finding a scientific reason for the existence of god isn't philosophy. It's probably not possible given that we can likely never know what happened prior to the big bang or likely know anything outside of this physical universe, but that doesn't mean there isn't science to it.
    God is the most parsimonious explanation since it only requires introducing one extraneous factor instead of an infinite number of them.

Also, the multiverse just kicks the can of infinite regression down the road.

Hence, an infinite mind behind the universe is a rational philosophic conclusion.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

21. #390 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

A strange critique to be making when your position is essentially "there is just a god because there has to be."
    you falsely state my position.....it is "I believe in a creating God and I don't give a fuck what you think about it"......