Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Babs Bush was lucky to have the kind of medical care....

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    ...that the Republican Party of her family denies regular people.

I had a great deal of admiration and respect for Barbara Bush, but there is no denying that she was one of the lucky elite in that her family has not only wealth, but govt paid medical benefits that most people do not, thanks to the policies of the Republican Party she belongs to.

She received the best nursing care money can buy and most importantly, it was in the comfort and familiar surroundings of her own home at little or no cost to her or the Bush family, even though they could easily afford it.

Most people in her condition, like my own mother, get put into cold, institutional nursing homes, being tended to by strangers, and where they are required by law to burn through their modest life savings before they can qualify for Medicaid. And even then, they have to relinquish their Social Security check to the govt.

Republicans always take advantage of the free govt handouts they hate so badly for regular folks, don't they?
    What is the point of your thread? Do you think if we had single payer, every old sick person would get the level of care Mrs. Bush got?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-18-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nomad needs to buy his own health care and stop whining.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

I had a great deal of admiration and respect for Barbara Bush, but there is no denying that she was one of the lucky elite in that her family has not only wealth, but govt paid medical benefits that most people do not, thanks to the policies of the Republican Party she belongs to.

She received the best nursing care money can buy and most importantly, it was in the comfort and familiar surroundings of her own home at little or no cost to her or the Bush family, even though they could easily afford it.

Most people in her condition, like my own mother, get put into cold, institutional nursing homes, being tended to by strangers, and where they are required by law to burn through their modest life savings before they can qualify for Medicaid. And even then, they have to relinquish their Social Security check to the govt.

Republicans always take advantage of the free govt handouts they hate so badly for regular folks, don't they?
    Well, I find it odd that you speak so authoritatively on the financial aspects of her care. Can you prove your claims? Or is it mere speculation pulled out of your ass?

As to your own mother, I think it speaks more to the lack of caring if her son (YOU) who would allow her to spend her last few years that way.

Did some Republican politician come rip her out of her own home and force her into a squalid nursing home? Did some republican refuse to allow her to live with you?

Was there some government regulation that prevented you from having your mommy live with you and you paying for nursing care for he out of your own pocket?

Maybe you didn’t love your mommy enough?

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Medicare doesn't cover much, if anything, for ppl like Nomad's mom and my m.i.l. who must live in a residential skilled nursing facility. If the person is admitted straight from a hospital because of an acute condition, then Medicare picks up the first month (it could be as high as 90 days now, I don't recall). But for the non-hospitalized person, you pay from the very first day out of pocket. Very few have insurance policies that cover long-term SNF care. In my M.I.L.'s case, her care in a SNF in rural Illinois in a low locst-of-living area was close to $5,000/month. That came out of her life savings. Once that was close to exhausted, we had to sell her farm land. Had she lived long enough to run through that money, she would have switched to Medicaid. So basically, her private-pay $5K/month was subsidizing the other residents who paid nothing. Oh, and when she was admitted, we had to sign over her social security check to the SNF as part of the payment. It was small, less than $1K/month.

I don't know how this can be addressed politically; it is definitely a burgeoning issue as we baby boomers get older, and need to be admitted to SNFs. Who pays if we can't?
    Another one who failed at their responsibility and didn’t want to do the hard work of caring for a loved one and then wants everyone else to foot the bill

All these liberals on JPP brag about how much money they have then whine about having to spend it on those they claim to care about.

Your greed is duly noted

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Be that as it may, if people of modest means have to pay through the nose for health care, politicians should have to as well.

And maybe average folks won't get the same level or quality of care that a wealthy family or a First Family might, but the disparity can be minimized.
    This sentiment I agree with. Politicians are spoiled bitches. Why should multi millionaires like Nancy Pelosi draw a salary? She should donate it to the debt

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

You're confusing being denied with not being given what you don't pay for. There is a difference.

If your mother was put into a nursing home you didn't like, you should have stepped up and provided better for her. That you didn't isn't anyone's fault but YOURS. You should be ashamed of being such a shitty child.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Had nothing to do with me.

Too bad you have nothing relevant to the topic to say.

Standard right-wing garbage.

Republican bigwigs rake in with both hands the things they deny others.
    Again, you're confusing being denied with not being given something you don't pay for.

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Nomad needs to buy his own health care and stop whining.
    Nomad said "Most people in her condition, like my own mother, get put into cold, institutional nursing homes . . "

Why didn't Nomad do better for his own?

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    Well, I find it odd that you speak so authoritatively on the financial aspects of her care. Can you prove your claims? Or is it mere speculation pulled out of your ass?

As to your own mother, I think it speaks more to the lack of caring if her son (YOU) who would allow her to spend her last few years that way.

Did some Republican politician come rip her out of her own home and force her into a squalid nursing home? Did some republican refuse to allow her to live with you?

Was there some government regulation that prevented you from having your mommy live with you and you paying for nursing care for he out of your own pocket?

Maybe you didn’t love your mommy enough?
    Nomad's the typical left wing son. Doesn't do for his own mother then bitches about the care she gets.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    What is the point of your thread? Do you think if we had single payer, every old sick person would get the level of care Mrs. Bush got?
    Nomad wouldn't take care of his own mother any better.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,615 Times in 10,048 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Didn't care for you Mom I see....and u want to claim others for your lack of care and love...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to volsrock For This Post:

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    Didn't care for you Mom I see....and u want to claim others for your lack of care and love...
    That's the typical Liberal. Claim to care then pass the financial responsibility to someone else.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    regular people had health insurance until Obama got rid of it.......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    . Who pays if we can't? Who pays if we can't?
    the federal government......however, it may not be in the same facility you chose for your mother....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    ?
    did you somehow think that the care givers in more expensive nursing homes aren't strangers?.......

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post: