Thread: Retired Admiral Says Trump Is Causing 'Extreme Discomfort' for Military Leaders and..

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,631 Times in 9,141 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

Default Retired Admiral Says Trump Is Causing 'Extreme Discomfort' for Military Leaders and..

Retired Admiral Says Trump Is Causing 'Extreme Discomfort' for Military Leaders and Harming Republic

The president is destabilizing the nation.

President Donald Trump last week called the FBI’s raid on his personal attorney Michael Cohen an “attack on our country.” [3] According to a retired NATO commander, that rhetoric, which the president uttered while surrounded by military leaders who were ostensibly supposed to be discussing whether or not to strike Syria after an alleged chemical attack, offered “a vivid illustration of the challenges” those leaders face while working for Trump [4].

In an editorial for TIME, Retired Admiral James Stavridis wrote that Trump’s comment was, at very least, “an odd description in front of individuals who have spent their lives defending the country against actual attacks.”

“As someone who spent over seven years as one of those Combatant Commanders — one of a small group of 4-star officers charged with the responsibility to send young men and women into combat — I often find myself wondering what it must be like to serve as a senior admiral or general in today’s world,” the retired Navy admiral wrote. “Our senior military swear an oath upon every promotion: not to the office of the President, but to the Constitution. How are they executing their oath of office today?”

Though past presidents have presented unique challenges for their military leaders, Stavridis noted that “it is hard to remember a time where the level of unease has been so high.”

“I hear this frequently from many senior admirals and generals still working today, and I feel their sense of extreme discomfort,” he continued. “That is not a good place for the republic.”

Stavridis, who noted that he isn’t registered as either a Democrat or Republican and worked under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, went on to identify three specific difficulties military leaders face under Trump: dealing with the president’s “discipline problem” as evidenced by his payoff to Stormy Daniels and frequent lies; the “erratic nature” of his policies; and finally, resisting being swept up by frenzied media responding to news out of the West Wing.

“I hope our admirals and generals can keep their heads down and ensure the military does not become embroiled in domestic politics, and that [Defense Secretary Jim] Mattis can continue to run interference with wisdom and caution between the Pentagon and the White House,” Stavridis concluded. “If he cannot, I fear a creeping politicization of our active-duty military, and therefore a diminishment of our national security. Above all, the White House must take care to avoid pulling the military into the heart of an increasingly political fray.”

Raw Story

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

kudzu (04-17-2018), Phantasmal (04-17-2018), PoliTalker (04-17-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-17-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,411 Times in 6,064 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 606 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    Retired Admiral Says Trump Is Causing 'Extreme Discomfort' for Military Leaders and Harming Republic

The president is destabilizing the nation.

President Donald Trump last week called the FBI’s raid on his personal attorney Michael Cohen an “attack on our country.” [3] According to a retired NATO commander, that rhetoric, which the president uttered while surrounded by military leaders who were ostensibly supposed to be discussing whether or not to strike Syria after an alleged chemical attack, offered “a vivid illustration of the challenges” those leaders face while working for Trump [4].

In an editorial for TIME, Retired Admiral James Stavridis wrote that Trump’s comment was, at very least, “an odd description in front of individuals who have spent their lives defending the country against actual attacks.”

“As someone who spent over seven years as one of those Combatant Commanders — one of a small group of 4-star officers charged with the responsibility to send young men and women into combat — I often find myself wondering what it must be like to serve as a senior admiral or general in today’s world,” the retired Navy admiral wrote. “Our senior military swear an oath upon every promotion: not to the office of the President, but to the Constitution. How are they executing their oath of office today?”

Though past presidents have presented unique challenges for their military leaders, Stavridis noted that “it is hard to remember a time where the level of unease has been so high.”

“I hear this frequently from many senior admirals and generals still working today, and I feel their sense of extreme discomfort,” he continued. “That is not a good place for the republic.”

Stavridis, who noted that he isn’t registered as either a Democrat or Republican and worked under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, went on to identify three specific difficulties military leaders face under Trump: dealing with the president’s “discipline problem” as evidenced by his payoff to Stormy Daniels and frequent lies; the “erratic nature” of his policies; and finally, resisting being swept up by frenzied media responding to news out of the West Wing.

“I hope our admirals and generals can keep their heads down and ensure the military does not become embroiled in domestic politics, and that [Defense Secretary Jim] Mattis can continue to run interference with wisdom and caution between the Pentagon and the White House,” Stavridis concluded. “If he cannot, I fear a creeping politicization of our active-duty military, and therefore a diminishment of our national security. Above all, the White House must take care to avoid pulling the military into the heart of an increasingly political fray.”

Raw Story

Yeah, kinda like a turd that just won't come out. Maybe they should try some Metamucil.

Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Read "retired"

read
    He was considered as a potential vice-presidential running mate by the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016

NEXT
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

tsuke (04-17-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    Read "retired"

read
    He was considered as a potential vice-presidential running mate by the Hillary Clinton campaign in 2016

NEXT
    wtf the article doesnt mention this. is this true?
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    Read "retired"

read

NEXT

Don't you think what he has said rings true?

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    wtf the article doesnt mention this. is this true?
    Still .. the truth is the truth all day long.. Trump claims a raid on his shady lawyer's office over sex scandal pay-offs cannot be compared to REAL conflict or threats to the US.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump likes to play with fire in the dynamite shack.

Restraint is not in his vocabulary.

If he was a driver he would be one of those erratic ones making too many lane changes with no signal.

And then you get up to the next light and see that all of that wasted effort has actually gotten hum further behind.

But he's always right on sombody's bumper, as if that one driver is the problem.

No. Trump is the problem.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

kudzu (04-17-2018)