Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The growing list of Republicans withdrawing support for Donald Trump

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Default The growing list of Republicans withdrawing support for Donald Trump

FoxNews April 16, 2018
    The growing list of Republicans withdrawing support for Donald Trump
    High-profile Republicans have rejected the businessman following the release of his remarks on groping women, while others condemn the comments

Here is a list of those Republicans and their current statements and positions regarding Trump, in context of what they have previously said on the subject.

John Thune, South Dakota senator and third-ranking Republican in the Senate: “Donald Trump should withdraw and Mike Pence should be our nominee effective immediately.” In May, Thune argued Trump was a necessary candidate of “change”, saying: “We have to get it right in 2016 because the future of our country is hanging in the balance in so many different ways. And there are three words that ought to scare everyone in this room: President Hillary Clinton.”

John McCain, Arizona senator and 2008 presidential nominee: “I have wanted to support the candidate our party nominated. He was not my choice, but as a past nominee, I thought it important I respect the fact that Donald Trump won a majority of the delegates by the rules our party set. I thought I owed his supporters that deference.

“But Donald Trump’s behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts of sexual assaults, make it impossible to offer even conditional support for his candidacy … We will write in the name of some good conservative Republican who is qualified to be president.”

Kelly Ayotte, New Hampshire senator: “I cannot and will not support a candidate for president who brags about degrading and assaulting women.” Last week, Ayotte called Trump a “role model” and then promptly recanted the remark, saying neither he nor Hillary Clinton were worthy of admiration.

Jason Chaffetz, Utah representative: “I’m pulling my endorsement. I cannot support in any way, shape or form the comments or approach Donald Trump has taken.” This summer, after some public struggle, Chaffetz said he would support the nominee.

Bradley Byrne, Alabama representative: “It is now clear Donald Trump is not fit to be president of the United States and cannot defeat Hillary Clinton. I believe he should step aside.”

Gary Herbert, Utah governor: “Donald Trump’s statements are beyond offensive & despicable. While I cannot vote for Hillary Clinton, I will not vote for Trump.”

Dennis Daugaard, South Dakota governor: “Enough is enough. Donald Trump should withdraw in favor of Governor Mike Pence. This election is too important.”

Joe Heck, Nevada representative: “I can no longer look past the pattern of behavior and comments that have been made by Donald Trump. Therefore, I cannot in good conscience continue to support Donald Trump, nor can I vote for Hillary Clinton.”

Mike Crapo, Idaho senator: “His repeated actions and comments toward women have been disrespectful, profane and demeaning.”

Deb Fischer, Nebraska representative: “It would be wise for him to step aside and allow Mike Pence to serve as our party’s nominee.”

Lisa Murkowski, Alaska senator: “I cannot and will not support Donald Trump for president. He has forfeited the right to be our party’s nominee.”

Dan Sullivan, Alaska senator: “I’m calling on Trump to step aside for Gov. Pence. Trump can’t lead on critical issue of ending dom violence & sexual assault.”

Ann Wagner, Missouri representative: “I must be true to those survivors and myself condemn the predatory and reprehensible comments of Donald Trump. I withdraw my endorsement and call for Governor Pence to take the lead so we can defeat Hillary Clinton.”

Brian Sandoval, Nevada governor: “This video exposed not just words, but now an established pattern which I find to be repulsive and unacceptable for a candidate for president of the United States. I cannot support him as my party’s nominee.

Martha Roby, Alabama Representative: “Donald Trump’s behavior makes him unacceptable as a candidate for president, and I won’t vote for him.”

Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia senator: “Women have worked hard to gain the dignity and respect we deserve. The appropriate next step may be for him to re-examine his candidacy.”

Cory Gardner, Colorado senator: “If Donald Trump wishes to defeat Hillary Clinton, he should do the only thing that will allow us to do so – step aside.”

Tom Rooney, Florida representative: “If I support him for president, I will be telling my boys that I think it’s OK to treat women like objects – and I’ll have failed as a dad. Therefore, I can no longer support Donald Trump for president and will not be voting for him or Hillary Clinton.”

Frank LoBiondo, New Jersey representative: “I will not vote for a candidate who boasts of sexual assault. It is my conclusion that Mr Trump is unfit to be President.”

John Boozman, Arkansas senator: “If I ever heard anyone speak this way about [my daughters and granddaughters] they would be shopping for a new set of teeth … I am focused on saving the US Senate.”

Rodney Davis, Illinois representative: “The abhorrent comments made by Donald Trump are inexcusable and go directly against what I’ve been doing in Washington to combat assaults on college campuses. Because of this, I am rescinding my support for Donald Trump.”

Rob Portman, Ohio senator: “While I continue to respect those who still support Donald Trump, I can no longer support him. I continue to believe our country cannot afford a Hillary Clinton presidency. I will be voting for Mike Pence for President.” (Portman did not disavow Trump in his initial statement Friday night.)

Nevada representative Cresent Hardy, Utah representative Chris Stewart, and Nebraska representative Jeff Fortenberry have also rescinded their support of Trump but not released statements.

Mike Pence, Indiana governor and Trump’s running mate: “I do not condone his remarks and cannot defend them. I am grateful that he has expressed remorse … we pray for his family and look forward to the opportunity he has to show what is in his heart when he goes before the nation tomorrow night.”

Paul Ryan, speaker of the House and most powerful Republican in Washington: “I am sickened by what I heard today. Women are to be championed and revered, not objectified. I hope Mr Trump treats this situation with the seriousness it deserves and works to demonstrate to the country that he has greater respect for women than this clip suggests.”

Mitch McConnell, Kentucky senator and Senate majority leader: “As the father of three daughters, I strongly believe that Trump needs to apologize directly to women and girls everywhere, and take full responsibility for the utter lack of respect for women shown in his comments on that tape.”

Ted Cruz, Texas senator and failed presidential candidate: “These comments are disturbing and inappropriate. There is simply no excuse for them. Every wife, mother, daughter – every person – deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

Marco Rubio, Florida senator and failed presidential candidate: “Donald’s comments were vulgar, egregious & impossible to justify. No one should ever talk about any woman in those terms, even in private.”

Reince Priebus, chair of the Republican National Committee: “No woman should ever be described in these terms or talked about in this manner. Ever.”

Rand Paul, Kentucky senator and failed presidential candidate: “His comments are offensive and unacceptable.”

Bob Dole, former senator from Kansas and 1996 presidential nominee: “It was 11 years ago. He shouldn’t have said it, but there’s nothing he can do about it except to do well in the debate.”

Joni Ernst, Iowa senator: “The comments DJT [Donald J Trump] made are lewd & insulting. There is no excuse, and no room for such reprehensible and objectifying talk about anyone, ever.”

Bob Corker, Tennessee senator and chair of the foreign relations committee: “These comments are obviously very inappropriate and offensive and his apology was absolutely necessary.”

Richard Burr, North Carolina senator and Trump national security adviser: “I am going to watch his level of contrition over the next few days to determine my level of support.”

Jon Cornyn, Texas senator: “I am disgusted by Mr Trump’s words about women: our daughters, sisters and mothers.

Phil Bryant, Mississippi governor: “Donald Trump’s remarks are unacceptable … They do not square with the man I have gotten to know the past few months. He has done the right thing and apologized.”

Ryan Zinke, Montana representative: “The language is shocking and wrong and should never be used ever. Lola and I have talked about it and we pray he has grown from this mistake.”

Asa Hutchinson, Arkansas governor: “While he has acknowledged it as wrong and apologized, it is important that he demonstrate in the debate on Sunday and in the future that he understands and respects the value of women.”

Chris Collins, New York representative: “There is no change in my support of Mr. Trump as our nominee because he remains the only candidate who will bring our jobs back, secure our borders and stand up to our enemies.”

Dan Coats, Indiana senator: “Donald Trump’s vulgar comments are totally inappropriate and disgusting, and these words have no place in our society.”

Greg Abbott, governor of Texas: “Deeply disturbing rhetoric by Trump. An insult to all women & contrary to GOP values. Absent true contrition, consequences will be dire.”

Republicans who have never supported Trump

John Kasich, Ohio governor and failed presidential candidate: “Nothing that has happened in the last 48 hours is surprising to me or many others … It’s clear that he hasn’t changed and has no interest in doing so. As a result, Donald Trump is a man I cannot and should not support. The actions of the last day are disgusting.”

Mitt Romney, former governor of Massachusetts and 2012 presidential nominee: “Hitting on married women? Condoning assault? Such vile degradations demean our wives and daughters and corrupt America’s face to the world.”

Jeb Bush, former governor of Florida and failed presidential candidate: “As the grandfather of two precious girls, I find that no apology can excuse away Donald Trump’s reprehensible comments degrading women.”

Ben Sasse, Nebraska senator: “Character matters. @realDonaldTrump is obviously not going to win. But he can still make an honorable move: Step aside & let Mike Pence try.”

Susan Collins, Maine senator: “It was comments like these, including the statements he made about John McCain, a disabled reporter, the family of a fallen soldier and more, that caused me to decide this summer that I could not support his candidacy.”

Mike Lee, Utah senator : “Your conduct, sir, is the distraction … I respectfully ask you, with all due respect, to step aside. Step down. Allow someone else to carry the banner of these principles.”

Mark Kirk, Illinois senator: “DJT [Donald J Trump] is a malignant clown – unprepared and unfit to be president of the United States.”

Jeff Flake, Arizona senator: “America deserves far better than @realDonaldTrump.”

Arnold Schwarzenegger, former governor of California: “For the first time since I became a citizen in 1983, I will not vote for the Republican candidate for president. Like many Americans, I’ve been conflicted by this election – I still haven’t made up my mind about how exactly I will vote next month … But as proud as I am to label myself a Republican, there is one label that I hold above all else – American. So I want to take a moment today to remind my fellow Republicans that it is not only acceptable to choose your country over your party – it is your duty.”

Mia Love, Utah representative: “Mr Trump has yet to clear that bar and his behavior and bravado have reached a new low. I cannot vote for him.”

Mike Coffman, Colorado representative: “For the good of the country, and to give Republicans a chance of defeating Hillary Clinton, Mr Trump should step aside.”

Fred Upton, Michigan representative: “I urge him to think about our country over his own candidacy and carefully consider stepping aside from the ticket.”

Erik Paulsen, Minnesota representative: “For months I have said Donald Trump has not earned my vote. The disgusting statements revealed last night make it clear he cannot. I will not be voting for him.”

Justin Amash, Michigan representative: “Character matters. @realDonaldTrump has been saying outrageous, offensive things the whole time. He should have stepped aside long ago.”

Robert De Niro: ‘I’d like to punch Donald Trump in the face’
    Pat Tiberi, Ohio representative: “Donald Trump’s comments and behavior were reprehensible, vulgar and extremely disrespectful. He was not my choice for our nominee and I never endorsed him. I have always said that I want to see a positive message and winnable strategy against Hillary Clinton from the Republican nominee. It is disappointing, especially for Americans who are looking for real leadership and integrity in their presidential candidate, that Trump has not been able to clear that bar. Americans deserve better choices for the highest office in the land. Trump should consider stepping aside. Otherwise, this will continue to consume the remainder of the campaign and help Clinton become the next president.”

Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania senator: “Donald Trump’s comments were outrageous and unacceptable.”

Rob Portman, Ohio Senator: “As I said yesterday, Donald Trump’s comments were offensive and wrong. I had hoped to support the candidate my party nominated in the primary process. I thought it was appropriate to respect the millions of voters across the country who chose Donald Trump as the Republican Party nominee. While I continue to respect those who still support Donald Trump, I can no longer support him. I continue to believe our country cannot afford a Hillary Clinton presidency. I will be voting for Mike Pence for President.”

Barbara Comstock, Virginia representative: “No woman should ever be subjected to this type of obscene behavior and it is unbecoming of anybody seeking high office. In light of these comments, Donald Trump should step aside.”

Will Hurd, Texas representative: “I never endorsed Trump and I cannot in good conscience support or vote for a man who degrades women, insults minorities and has no clear path to keep our country safe.”

Condoleezza Rice, George W Bush’s secretary of state: “Enough! Donald Trump should not be President. He should withdraw.”

Susana Martinez, New Mexico governor: “That’s why I have withheld my support from the very beginning, and will not support him now.”

Bill Haslam, Tennessee governor: “I want to emphasize that character in our leaders does matter.…It is time for the good of the nation and the Republican Party for Donald Trump to step aside.”

Kay Granger, Texas representative: “Watching that video is disgusting. Mr Trump should remove himself from consideration as commander in chief.”

Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

blackascoal (04-16-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

So how many votes you got there, a 100
    let me do a electoral college scoreboard check after your "news"

Trump 306
    Dems 225

NEXT
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Getin the ring For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-16-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post

Trump 306
    Dems 225

NEXT
    You know how the electoral vote works...right?

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post

Trump 306
    Dems 225

NEXT
    Simple mind, simple pleasure. You're lucky Trump loves the Poorly Educated. At least he's in your corner.

Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-16-2018)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Scanning them, it seems like most of the GOP comments were made prior to Trump's election. Not sure that really means much since he won.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Scanning them, it seems like most of the GOP comments were made prior to Trump's election. Not sure that really means much since he won.
    Well, technically. Not the people's choice exactly, though, was he?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

Leonthecat (04-16-2018)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

I'm pretty sure most conservatives realize what they've done at this point.

They don't want to admit it openly, of course - too much of a concession to liberals.

Even on JPP, though, his most hearty endorsement is generally "well, he's not Hillary"...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

Leonthecat (04-16-2018), Micawber (04-16-2018)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't Worry ... here comes The Fixer

ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    The winner seldom is if you add the number of people who voted for someone else with the number of people who could have voted and said fuck it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhinyThingy View Post
    You know how the electoral vote works...right?
    Apparently you idiots on the left are the ones who need a lesson. You idiots are still talking about popular votes.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Very few of them would ever take a firm stand against the Don, they might not like him but they realize he still draws a stable 35% to 40% approval rating, which is bad, but does represent the GOP base which they need to get elected

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    The winner seldom is if you add the number of people who voted for someone else with the number of people who could have voted and said fuck it.
    In a plutocracy, I suppose, the winner is the richer of the two. Ah well - as long as there's none of this bloody majority nonsense!

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. TDS View Post
    Simple mind, simple pleasure. You're lucky Trump loves the Poorly Educated. At least he's in your corner.
    Another stupid narrative; that one does not get an education at the Wharton Business school. You leftist morons just make your lies up as you go don't you?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ioloTARD View Post