Members banned from this thread: Cancel 2018. 3, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.1, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, transwarpdrive, Text Drivers are Killers, CFM, Ralph, Cancel 2018.2, Sailor, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, countryboy, Q-Tip, volsrock, The Ugly Truth and BodyDouble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comey was articulate, authentic and credible in his interview with ABC News

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Default Comey was articulate, authentic and credible in his interview with ABC News

What did you think?

The surprise firing of former FBI Director James Comey rocked the political world, and now he’s re-entering the fray with some revelations that could send shockwaves of their own.

Add James Comey as an interest to stay up to date on the latest James Comey news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
    James Comey Add Interest
    Comey weighed in on some of the most hot-button figures of the moment during an exclusive interview with ABC News chief anchor George Stephanopoulos ahead of the April 17 release of his book “A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership.”

Here are some of the most interesting opinions that Comey shared that could have an impact politically.

1. Rosenstein viewed as ‘dishonorable’

Comey said that his view of deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein was colored by the memorandum Rosenstein wrote to Attorney General Jeff Sessions that was cited by the White House as the reasoning for Comey’s firing. The memorandum criticized Comey for his handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation – specifically, for his July 5, 2016 press conference at which he announced the findings of the FBI investigation and his October 28, 2016 letter to Congress stating that the investigation had been reopened due to the discovery of additional emails.

James Comey gives first interview since President Trump fired him
    Comey says his assumption Clinton would win was 'a factor' in the email investigation
    Comey says Trump asked if he could disprove salacious prostitute allegations in 'dossier'
    “The way [Director Comey] handled the conclusion of the email investigation was wrong, “ Rosenstein wrote. “As a result, the FBI is unlikely to regain public and congressional trust until it has a Director who understands the gravity of the mistakes and pledges never to repeat them.”

PHOTO: Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein attends a news conference at the Justice Department in Washington, D.C., March 23, 2018.Michael Reynolds/EPA via Shuttestock
    Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein attends a news conference at the Justice Department in Washington, D.C., March 23, 2018.more +
    “The deputy attorney general, in my view, had acted dishonorably by putting out this pretext about why I was fired,” Comey told Stephanopoulos.

Comey believed that Trump and his team had acted similarly to mafia families, who, he said, worked to make people feel as if they are part of the family, and in turn, act according to the families’ best interests rather than the greater whole.

“He's part of the family now. I can't trust him," Comey said of Rosenstein.

Rosenstein is the one at the Department of Justice who now has authority over special counsel Robert Mueller’s team and their investigation into Russian interference in the election, since Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself. There has been much speculation as to whether President Donald Trump will decide to fire Mueller. If he does, most legal experts believe that order would have to go through Rosenstein.

When asked by Stephanopoulos is he believes that Rosenstein would carry out such an order, Comey said that he may not in an effort to make up for Comey’s firing.

“I think, given his experience with me, that he has an opportunity in overseeing Bob Mueller to restore some of his professional reputation. And I'm highly confident that he would refuse to abide that order,” Comey said of Rosenstein.

2. Sessions seen as ‘over matched’

PHOTO: Attorney General Jeff Sessions accompanied by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, left, speaks at a news conference at the Department of Justice, July 20, 2017, in Washington D.C.Andrew Harnik/AP, FILE
    Attorney General Jeff Sessions accompanied by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, left, speaks at a news conference at the Department of Justice, July 20, 2017, in Washington D.C.more +
    Comey told Stephanopoulos that he was unsure of his views on Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

“I don't know what to make of him. I mean, I only worked with him very briefly before I was fired. My sense of him, maybe it's unfair to him, was that he was over matched for the job. And that the job was much, much bigger than he was. And that he was gonna struggle in it. That's my sense,” Comey said.

3. Obama’s comments about Clinton’s emails were “inappropriate”

Comey didn’t limit his criticisms to Republicans, saying that some of President Obama’s behavior surrounding the Clinton email scandal baffled him as well.

“We had the problem that President Obama had twice publicly basically said, ‘There's no there, there’ in an interview with-- on Fox, an interview on 60 Minutes I think, both times he said that,” Comey said.

“It really did surprise me. He's a very smart man and a lawyer. And so it surprised me. He shouldn't have done it. It was inappropriate,” Comey said.

When asked by Stephanopoulos if Obama was trying to “color the case” against Clinton, Comey said “I don’t know. I don’t think so.”

“He didn't have any insight into the case, at least as far as I know, more than anybody readin' the newspaper did, which was zero 'cause there were no leaks,” Comey said. “I think he felt a pressure in the political environment because he wanted Hillary Clinton to be elected, to give her a shot in the arm.”

4. Comey would be fine with Kelly quitting now

In the immediate wake of his sudden firing by Trump, Comey received several concerned phone calls. In addition to receiving a confused call from his wife Patrice, who had heard that he was fired before hearing it from Comey directly, and then getting a call from a different friend, Comey says he also got a call from then-Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly, who now serves as Trump’s chief of staff.

Kelly “was very upset,” Comey said. “He was very emotional and said he had seen the news and that he intended to resign because he wouldn't work for people who would treat someone like me in such a dishonorable way and that he was gonna quit.”

Comey said he urged Kelly to remain in the administration.

“Please don't do that, John,” Comey recalled telling Kelly. “And I knew him well and still… thought highly of him then, still think highly of him, and I said, ‘Please don't do that. This president needs people of character and principle around him, especially this president. Please don't do that.’ And I said, ‘We need you to stay and serve for the country.’”

“If he called you today saying he intended to quit, what would you tell him?” Stephanopoulos asked.

“I understand. I think you've sacrificed as much as you really can of yourself for the country. And no one would begrudge you leaving. You've done your absolute best. It's come at a cost to you, but that no one can blame you,” Comey said.

The White House referred ABC News to the Republican National Committee for comment from Kelly.

“What’s dishonorable is that James Comey lied about leaking information to the media, consistently contradicted himself in testimony, and made a series of bizarre decisions as FBI director. That’s why Republicans and Democrats alike have said he has no credibility,” RNC spokesman Michael Ahrens said in a statement to ABC News.

5. Talk of obstruction of justice

On that Feb. 14, 2017, meeting, Trump asked everyone else to leave the room, and Comey says, told Comey “I hope you can let this go.”

Comey interpreted it as a directive to drop the criminal investigation of Michael Flynn, who had just been forced out from his post as National Security Adviser the day before. Trump has since denied asking Comey that, both directly denying it during a June 2017 press conference and then calling it a “Comey lie” in a December 2017 tweet.

When Stephanopoulos asked Comey if he believes Trump’s request constituted an obstruction of justice, Comey replied “possibly.”

“I mean, it's certainly some evidence of obstruction of justice. It would depend, and I'm just a witness in this case, not the investigator or prosecutor, it would depend upon other things that reflected on his intent,” Comey said.

Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Frank Apisa (04-16-2018), kudzu (04-16-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Didn't learn anything New, just confirmed the obvious ...
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

kudzu (04-16-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    Didn't learn anything New, just confirmed the obvious ...
    It's only a matter of time. Trump will be out of the White House by Memorial Day.

“We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

kudzu (04-16-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post
    It's only a matter of time. Trump will be out of the White House by Memorial Day.

What going to happen ... is he going to Choke to death on a Lie?

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

I sure hope so.. We've had enough chaos.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    I sure hope so.. We've had enough chaos.
    Trump likes chaos. He even said so.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump likes chaos. He even said so.

Chaos covers his incompetence.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Chaos covers his incompetence.
    I think it's additive.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

I think Comey was articulate and authentic also, DT.

And he was willing to view his shortcomings and faults...something Donald Trump has not done from the moment he started down that escalator.

James Comey is a man. Donald Trump is a boy...and not especially well-behaved or honest boy.

As for getting Trump out of office...

...I dread something like impeachment as much as I dreaded him entering the office.

The people who support him are more than just a bit flaky. IF impeachment comes...it had better come with a sizable support from the Republicans. If a large Republican support is not part of the package...we will have more trouble and chaos than we have right now.

Boy...the Russians must be enjoying this fiasco immensely. Many of our "allies" must be laughing at what we are doing to ourselves.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

evince (04-16-2018), kudzu (04-16-2018)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post

And he was willing to view his shortcomings and faults...something Donald Trump has not done from the moment he started down that escalator.

James Comey is a man. Donald Trump is a boy...and not especially well-behaved or honest boy.

...I dread something like impeachment as much as I dreaded him entering the office.

The people who support him are more than just a bit flaky. IF impeachment comes...it had better come with a sizable support from the Republicans. If a large Republican support is not part of the package...we will have more trouble and chaos than we have right now.

Boy...the Russians must be enjoying this fiasco immensely. Many of our "allies" must be laughing at what we are doing to ourselves.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Frank Apisa (04-16-2018)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those that were looking for a "smoking gun" in the Comey book...

.... .need to dig a little deeper in the well.

Comey was never going to say or write anything that might jeopardize the investigation of Robert Mueller. His book was reviewed and approved by the FBI.

But, you can bet he knows a lot more than what came out in the interview with Stephanopoulos. If anything, this did not step on the Mueller investigation, but rather, set it up for what is to come.

Comey is working with Mueller, not against him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

evince (04-16-2018)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

He better hope he sells some books cause he'll never work again. But all his novella did was make trumps numbers go up.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    He better hope he sells some books cause he'll never work again. But all his novella did was make trumps numbers go up.
    link?

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post

the Republican party is dead no matter what the republicans do

they have ravaged the name with their dishonesty and inaction

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post

With a Net worth over $10 Million at age 57, I'm sure James Comey will be on the corner with a tin cup any day now.