Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: An honest question on assault rifles.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default An honest question on assault rifles.

Someone please explain to me what is so special about the #AR15 (style) assault rifle(s) that can't be done with the myriad of shotguns, hunting rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns that have been available for decades?
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

2. #2 | Top
    I know where the most beautiful small town in America is.
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Someone please explain to me what is so special about the #AR15 (style) assault rifle(s) that can't be done with the myriad of shotguns, hunting rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns that have been available for decades?
    Is sitting in the back of the bus going to get you to your destination any faster or slower? Rosa Parks didn't NEED to sit in front of the bus. But, in a free society, there is no requirement to show "need" in order to exercise a right.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...53#post2297953

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

The AR15 is not an assault rifle. The M16 (military and police issue only) is an assault rifle. The AR15 is just a semi-automatic rifle that looks like an assault rifle.
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rjhenn For This Post:

Bigdog (04-10-2018), leaningright (04-10-2018), Rune (04-15-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We do not need these excuses and spin, when we know they were designed as battlefield weapons designed for maximum lethality and tissue trauma against the enemy.
    An AR-15 is a civilian version of a "battlefield weapon" and it is perfect for self-defense like several other firearms are.
    I have no problem with people being honest and saying they want these battle field-style weapons as penis extenders...
    If I shoot my (What you call) "battlefield weapons" but, when I burn up all the ammo. I bring on a shooting outing and then go to my bolt-action .22 rifle because it is less expensive to shoot, do I no longer have the need for a "penile extension" and/or no longer have "penis issues"? Would you say something similar about my penis when I drive my overly lifted and big rims and tires F-150 and then park it and drive my four-banger little truck?

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's a scary looking gun. Liberals wet their panties over scary looking guns. But then I've heard of dumass liberals calling the police on a tirejack on the hood of a jeep because it looked like a "scary gun".

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greeneyedlady For This Post:

rjhenn (04-11-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BodyDouble View Post
    Is sitting in the back of the bus going to get you to your destination any faster or slower? Rosa Parks didn't NEED to sit in front of the bus. But, in a free society, there is no requirement to show "need" in order to exercise a right.
    Are you really this fucking stupid? Comparing the Civil Rights movement to this urge to own a weapon? Guess what stupid? if there were no seats in the back of the bus (standing room only) but seats in the front during the Jim Crow/segregation days, Rosa couldn't ride and would have to wait for the next bus? Why, her money was just as good as a white persons. Get the picture, stupid?

You have a right to a weapon, but NOT military grade ones....not full automatics, and for a brief time not semi-auto assault weapons. America got along fine with the AWB....crime didn't go through the roof. Deal with it.

Don't you EVER think to get away with that stupidity again.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

10. The Following User Groans At Taichiliberal For This Awful Post:

NOVA (04-23-2018)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

domer76 (04-10-2018)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedlady View Post
    It's a scary looking gun. Liberals wet their panties over scary looking guns. But then I've heard of dumass liberals calling the police on a tirejack on the hood of a jeep because it looked like a "scary gun".
    Another babbling idiot who can't give a rational, honest answer to a simple question.

George Orwell

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

domer76 (04-10-2018)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

George Orwell

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BodyDouble View Post
    An AR-15 is a civilian version of a "battlefield weapon" and it is perfect for self-defense like several other firearms are.

If I shoot my (What you call) "battlefield weapons" but, when I burn up all the ammo. I bring on a shooting outing and then go to my bolt-action .22 rifle because it is less expensive to shoot, do I no longer have the need for a "penile extension" and/or no longer have "penis issues"? Would you say something similar about my penis when I drive my overly lifted and big rims and tires F-150 and then park it and drive my four-banger little truck?
    Stop with the BS, will ya please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle

So you acknowledge the fact that you just want the next best thing to a full "battlefield weapon". WTF for? You target shoot to practice hitting a target as a pretext to KILL. Hunting rifles do a good job, shotguns do, semi-auto handguns and rifles do. You want battlefield authenticity? Join the army. Let's at least try to keep these things off the open market, as they seem to get into the hands of nutjobs as of late.

George Orwell

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    The AR15 is not an assault rifle. The M16 (military and police issue only) is an assault rifle. The AR15 is just a semi-automatic rifle that looks like an assault rifle.
    Not quite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle

George Orwell

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you really this fucking stupid? Comparing the Civil Rights movement to this urge to own a weapon? Guess what stupid? if there were no seats in the back of the bus (standing room only) but seats in the front during the Jim Crow/segregation days, Rosa couldn't ride and would have to wait for the next bus? Why, her money was just as good as a white persons. Get the picture, stupid?

You have a right to a weapon, but NOT military grade ones....not full automatics, and for a brief time not semi-auto assault weapons. America got along fine with the AWB....crime didn't go through the roof. Deal with it.

Don't you EVER think to get away with that stupidity again.
    A civil right is a Constitutional right. A right to keep a firearm is also a Constitutional right. It's not an "urge" to own a weapon. It is a right. An AR-15 is not a military weapon. The military doesn't use them and never will. During the "assault" weapons ban, I bought several real "assault" weapons. Semi-auto, used in the military at one time assault weapons. And I plunked down cash and walked out the door that same day with the semi-auto "assault" weapon. Several has a bayonets installed on them as well. And some just had bayonet lugs. And they were bought at a chain sporting goods store in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. That's how stupid your liberal ban worked out. And you can't be so, so stupid to believe that these scary-looking guns that you idiots claim are "military grade assault weapons" will not be allowed to be bought and sold again.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

The guy said he had an honest question. Apparently not. He should probably calm down a little bit.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

Abatis (04-11-2018), Rune (04-15-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Stop with the BS, will ya please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle

WTF for?
    Among other things, self defense. Just like most of the several other weapons I own. And I just may need a few more.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"Someone please explain to me what is so special about the #AR15 (style) assault rifle(s) that can't be done with the myriad of shotguns, hunting rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns that have been available for decades?" Tl #1
    rj #4 is half right, wrong as much by omission as commission.

I've never owned an AR, but I've handled them. I qualified Marksman with the M16-A1 and am likely still proficient with it.

To address your question directly Tl #1, there are numerous differences, even if seemingly subtle to the layman.

a) The AR & the M16-A1 are carbines. This makes them substantially better suited to close-quarter combat. A long gun, a true rifle may be more accurate due to longer, and potentially more rigid barrel. Such long guns are suited to poised, sniper-style shots: one shot / one kill. But the AR & M16-A1 is better suited for shorter range (up to ~250 meters) rapid fire.

b) A 12 ga. magnum slug is heavy. The .223 Rem. is far lighter, and thus pound for pound the ammunition the AR & M16-A1 fires may provide a 4:1 advantage.

c) Rate of fire.
    The M16-A1 is capable of auto-fire: one sustained trigger pull empties the magazine, 20 rnd in ~2.2 seconds.
    The AR fires semi-auto. One trigger pull, one shot fired, until the magazine is exhausted.

How many school children were massacred at Sandy Hook? A dozen?
    A psychopath could kill a dozen children with a muzzle loader. Maximum rate of fire ~1 rnd each 45 seconds. That's 9 minutes. 9 minutes is enough time for a COP to finish his doughnut, take one last sip of coffee, stroll over to the patrol vehicle, drive to the school, walk inside, and bop the shooter on the bean with a 2 x 4.

IN VIVID CONTRAST

With an AR (or M16-A1) a dozen humans can be shot dead in less than 10 seconds.

Get the picture?

I'm a licensed hunter.
    For varmints I use a .22
    I have no use for an AR.
    "An AR-15 is a civilian version of a "battlefield weapon" and it is perfect for self-defense" BD #5
    In what scenario?
    For home defense?
    3 thugs cornering you in a dark alley?
    Keep you AR for such scenarios. I'll take a Colt .45 (M1911-A1) for that.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sear For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (04-10-2018)