Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: An honest question on assault rifles.

1. #16 | Top
    I know where the most beautiful small town in America is.
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    I'm a licensed hunter.
    For varmints I use a .22
    I have no use for an AR.

In what scenario?
    For home defense?
    3 thugs cornering you in a dark alley?
    Keep you AR for such scenarios. I'll take a Colt .45 (M1911-A1) for that.
    Homeowner’s son kills three would-be burglars with AR-15
    By Fox News March 28, 2017 | 12:39am
    Three would-be robbers were shot and killed Monday when an Oklahoma homeowner’s son opened fire on them with an AR-15, authorities said.

Wagoner County sheriff’s deputies were called to the home in Broken Arrow, southeast of Tulsa, around 12:30 p.m. local time. When they arrived, they found the three dead suspects and two uninjured residents.

Sheriff’s spokesman Deputy Nick Mahoney said the suspects entered the home through a glass back door with the intent to burglarize it. It was not immediately clear why they picked that home.

Mahoney said the suspects encountered the homeowner’s 19-year-old son, who opened fire after an exchange of words. Two of the suspects died in the home’s kitchen while a third was found in the driveway.

It was not immediately clear whether the suspects were armed, but Mahoney said the preliminary investigation indicated the shootings were in self-defense.
    https://nypost.com/2017/03/28/homeow...rs-with-ar-15/

I like my GI spec. 1911 as well. Maybe this homeowners kid had one too. But the AR-15 came in handy in this kids little event.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

BD #16

Understood.

BUT !!

a) That's an anecdote.

b) It's possible to kill 3 suspects with a rusty screwdriver. I'd be most careful about deifying the AR-15 because in one application it appears to have worked out favorably. That one incident does not render it optimal for all, or even most scenarios.
    "I like my GI spec. 1911 as well." BD
    The M1911-A1 is the best designed handgun I've ever seen / held / fired / qualified with.

BUT !!

Colt made something called the Officer's model, a work-alike of the government issue sidearm, except slightly shorter, and 1 rnd fewer magazine capacity. No worries. The full capacity magazine fits in the more compact version, it just sticks out a little.
    They were available in stainless steel. A fabulous gun, if that's not an intrinsic oxymoron.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Someone please explain to me what is so special about the #AR15 (style) assault rifle(s) that can't be done with the myriad of shotguns, hunting rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns that have been available for decades?
    Just like I don't need to explain to you why I chose a certain food over another last night, I don't need to explain to you why I choose to own four AR-15s. If you want an explanation, I suggest you want in one hand, shit in the other, and let me know which fills up quicker.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    The AR15 is not an assault rifle. The M16 (military and police issue only) is an assault rifle. The AR15 is just a semi-automatic rifle that looks like an assault rifle.
    It's scary looking to the gun haters.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you really this fucking stupid? Comparing the Civil Rights movement to this urge to own a weapon? Guess what stupid? if there were no seats in the back of the bus (standing room only) but seats in the front during the Jim Crow/segregation days, Rosa couldn't ride and would have to wait for the next bus? Why, her money was just as good as a white persons. Get the picture, stupid?

You have a right to a weapon, but NOT military grade ones....not full automatics, and for a brief time not semi-auto assault weapons. America got along fine with the AWB....crime didn't go through the roof. Deal with it.

Don't you EVER think to get away with that stupidity again.
    I own four AR-15s. When you're man enough to take them from me, go for it. Even YOU'RE not that stupid.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Another babbling idiot who can't give a rational, honest answer to a simple question.
    Apparently these babbling fools that are marching in the support of a ban on assault weapons can't describe what one is. You'd think someone would know what it is if they were going to support someone else not being able to own one.

http://leehernly.me/2018/03/march-fo...ssault-weapon/

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    The AR15 is not an assault rifle. The M16 (military and police issue only) is an assault rifle. The AR15 is just a semi-automatic rifle that looks like an assault rifle.
    But it looks evil so it must be evil. Many people let emotions override logic.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

rjhenn (04-11-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Someone please explain to me what is so special about the #AR15 (style) assault rifle(s) that can't be done with the myriad of shotguns, hunting rifles, revolvers and semi-automatic handguns that have been available for decades?
    Hand guns don't offer the range. Shotguns and long rifles don't offer the speed and accuracy.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,396 Times in 6,143 Posts
    Blog Entries

An honest question on assault rifles.
    Angel queries Devil's asshole.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

OK. You wanted to know. I will hold back my cynical nature and try to educate you. Let's see if you are being honest in your question

* The AR-15 fires an intermediate power .22 caliber cartridge which means low recoil and easy to shoot
    * Its inline design and sight placement place everything in line with the shooter’s shoulder, improving accuracy and comfort.
    * It has a collapsible stock meaning it can be adjusted based on the size of the shooter, leading to more comfort while shooting
    * It is made using modern day materials and not steel or wood. This makes it light weight and more comfortable to shoot
    * It only uses screws, threaded parts and pins for its entire assembly. You don't need a vise or special machinery to put it together. Want to replace the barrel? Simple. Just pop it off and slide a new one into the preset position and tighten a nut with a wrench.
    * The modular design allows the firearm to be disassembled for maintenance and cleaning without the use of tools
    * The modular design has led it to be called the "Lego Kit of the Gun World". You can create endless variations. The AR is really more of a platform than an individual weapon and among people who know what they are talking about, you will will hear it referred to as such. It basically allows you to be your own amateur gunsmith at your kitchen table and that is pretty cool
    * The great thing about the modular design is that you can very inexpensively and easily swap out parts without buying a new weapon. Want a different stock? Five minutes. Want to make it more accurate? Easy. Change the optics.
    * There is no patent on the AR today even thought AR15 is trademarked. That has led to a tremendous amount of standardization in terms of design. Which means everything is almost truly interchangeable without the need for special customization or special training. The accessories market for the AR15 is unparalleled in the gun market. It is like all of the accessories for an iPhone. They can be customized to fit each shooter. In a lot of respects, no two AR15s are the same other than factory produced ones.

There you have it. You wanted to know why the AR15 is so popular and why so many people are drawn to it. I have to say, my wife loves to shoot with it because of the low recoil and accuracy. She finds the shotgun to be sort of brutish.

Let's see what you make of this.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Hand guns don't offer the range. Shotguns and long rifles don't offer the speed and accuracy.
    A semi-automatic rifle be it a ranch style or an AR-15 style of the same caliber and clip capacity have the exact same speed and accuracy. The only difference is the appearance.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

What's the difference between a VW "BUG" and a BEAMER? Both are "legal" to own and drive....one just arrives a little earlier with your ass wrapped in leather and foam. The 2nd amendment has never been about what type of "arms" one has the right to own, the 2nd is about having the right to defend oneself from all enemies at a personal level, either foreign or domestic.

Then ask yourself the same question you just asked....what sort of arms would you prefer for self defense, something that is designed for close quarter combat with the capacity to easily reload....or a single shot weapon designed for accuracy? Why should the "state" have "unlimited" rights to arm itself....but demand the right to limit its citizens based upon an emotional outcry by a minority assembly of citizens?

The greater question is...Why the hell does it matter to anyone if a law abiding citizen that has never and has no intent of ever breaking the common laws of the land....own any type of arms they wish? Why do you want to punish the innocent and reward the wicked? Why does the left stand on the graves of the murdered to preach a political agenda?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (04-10-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,219 Times in 3,171 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 239 Times in 227 Posts

If you want an honest discussion, then perhaps you shouldn't start out with a lie.

The AR15 is not an assault rifle.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Rune (04-15-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you really this fucking stupid? Comparing the Civil Rights movement to this urge to own a weapon? Guess what stupid? if there were no seats in the back of the bus (standing room only) but seats in the front during the Jim Crow/segregation days, Rosa couldn't ride and would have to wait for the next bus? Why, her money was just as good as a white persons. Get the picture, stupid?

You have a right to a weapon, but NOT military grade ones....not full automatics, and for a brief time not semi-auto assault weapons. America got along fine with the AWB....crime didn't go through the roof. Deal with it.

Don't you EVER think to get away with that stupidity again.
    Again, you LIE.

An AR15 is not military grade. It is NOT fully automatic. But please, do go on explaining how it is others that are stupid.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Rune (04-15-2018), Truth Detector (04-10-2018)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    BD #16

Understood.

BUT !!

a) That's an anecdote.

b) It's possible to kill 3 suspects with a rusty screwdriver. I'd be most careful about deifying the AR-15 because in one application it appears to have worked out favorably. That one incident does not render it optimal for all, or even most scenarios.

The M1911-A1 is the best designed handgun I've ever seen / held / fired / qualified with.

BUT !!

Colt made something called the Officer's model, a work-alike of the government issue sidearm, except slightly shorter, and 1 rnd fewer magazine capacity. No worries. The full capacity magazine fits in the more compact version, it just sticks out a little.
    They were available in stainless steel. A fabulous gun, if that's not an intrinsic oxymoron.
    What is actually an anecdote is that AR's are used for school shootings.

The vast majority of AR's are not used in killing people. The vast majority are used for hunting, target shooting, self defense. The first two more often than the third.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-10-2018)