Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a "liberal" perspective on our culture's value of education & teacher strike

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    now compare them to only the college educated idiot
    Teachers are college educated idiots so your request is self-proving

2. The Following User Groans At Irish Exit For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (04-09-2018)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-09-2018)

4. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    One group wants kids to be able to add and subtract, multiply and divide, read a contract or a list of instructions. The other group wants kids to change their gender, put a condom on a banana, and tear down the statues in the courtyard.

Tough choice on who really cares about how our kids do in life
    SPOT ON!

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Average Income for a WV high school teacher is $45,240 per CNBC https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/26/west...-teachers.html

Average household income for a West Virginian is $43,385 per http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/west-virginia/

So the average high school teacher in WV is making more than the average household in the state.

Where is the injustice for those poor over-paid teachers?
    Well when it comes to education West Virginia certainly validates you get what you pay for.

Let me ask you this, would it concern you that engineer who built the bridge you were driving over is only paid the median for house hold incomes? Do you really think you’ll get a well constructed and safely built bridge by hiring the person willing to accept the lowest wage and uses outdated technology and obsolete materials?

West Virginia median pay for teachers and financial funding is among the lowest in the nation and guess where West Virginia ranks nationally in educational attainment?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Let me ask you this, would it concern you that engineer who built the bridge you were driving over is only paid the median for house hold incomes? Do you really think you’ll get a well constructed and safely built bridge by hiring the person willing to accept the lowest wage and uses outdated technology and obsolete materials?
    Let me ask you this; would it concern you that the pilot who is flying that commuter jet/plane is only being paid an average of $40K?? After all, it is just your life at stake right?

As of 2012, the salary range for regional airline pilots was $16,500 to $60,000
    http://work.chron.com/average-salary...ilot-5985.html
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

tinfoil (04-09-2018)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,174 Times in 10,392 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Making over $40K isn't a living wage? Are these teachers living on the street and not eating?
    $40,000 is shit for a person with a college degree and probably a masters or at least working on one. $40,000 is shit when one has to purchase supplies for their clients.

How many hours do you work off the clock?
    How supplies do you buy for your clients?
    How much counseling do you offer to your clients?

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    $40,000 is shit for a person with a college degree and probably a masters or at least working on one. $40,000 is shit when one has to purchase supplies for their clients.

Average teacher salary is $75K where I live.

I worked on full commission for years. So I was 'working' 24/7. I go no paid breaks. I didn't get three months off for summer. I had to pay all kinds of expenses in running our business.

Edit: I responded to your post about a living wage. Having a masters is irrelevant. How is $40K not a living wage? Do you know anyone living on the streets who makes that much?

10. The Following User Groans At cawacko For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (04-09-2018)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

12. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    Are they dying?
    So, one has to die first.

What a fucking idiot.

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I worked on full commission for years. So I was 'working' 24/7. I go no paid breaks. I didn't get three months off for summer. I had to pay all kinds of expenses in running our business.
    Selling toilet plungers on commission is hardly on the level with teaching our children. Did you pay for your required continuing education? Did you purchase supplies for your clients? Did you provide counseling for your clients?

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Selling toilet plungers on commission is hardly on the level with teaching our children. Did you pay for your required continuing education? Did you purchase supplies for your clients? Did you provide counseling for your clients?
    So running away from your $40K isn't a living wage comment I see.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

16. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

So running away from your $40K isn't a living wage comment I see.
    Truly, would you expect anything different????

17. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DUMBER IQ of 76 View Post

I had no idea they have made you the "decider" of what is a fair wage. This is about what they pay the typical airline commuter pilot. They have to have an engineering degree and approximately 500 hours flying in type. Yet you morons don't whine about their pay; why is that? It was a rhetorical question.

18. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So, one has to die first.

What a fucking idiot.
    Absurdity; the last refuge for the stupid and ignorant.

19. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Edit: I responded to your post about a living wage. Having a masters is irrelevant. How is $40K not a living wage? Do you know anyone living on the streets who makes that much?
    I’m well aware of expense write-offs for business.

Requiring self-paid continuing education is very relevant. As well as pay being equated with advanced degrees.

$40,000 a year equates to around $15.00 an hour for the hours teachers I know put in. Shit wages.

Do teachers have to die or live on the street for you?

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    The following was excerpted from PBS / Ivory Tower (central New York)

"... people think government is some vague bureaucrat they don't like who is doing something worthless.
    Government is a second grade teacher in Oklahoma and West Virginia and government does good things.
    But what's really sad to me about this is when we're forced to look right into the face of how little we value education in this country you know, when you see what these people make and how they live and the second and third jobs they have so they can teach second grade
    we make all these claims about how we care about children, we care about education.
    We live in a commercial economy where everything is commodified.
    What we pay for something is what we value that thing with, and we don't value education. We just don't.
    And it's sad and when you see something like wow
    you are forced to look right into it. This is what they're making to teach second grade in West Virginia & Oklahoma." Professor Tim Byrnes, Colgate University
    Bullshit! The US SPENDS MORE MONEY ON EDUCATION THAN ANY OTHER NATION ON EARTH but provides a quality of education that ranks 37th in the world in relation to the basic and fundamental disciplines of the 3 "Rs". For instance......the education budget for state and local coffers averages about 870 BILLION a year from the collected total of some 3.2 Trillion in collected tax funds at the state and local level. That's more than 28% of the total budget that goes to EDUCATION. That figure of spending tops all other government spending in any other sectors....almost doubling the outlay for WELFARE SPENDING.

The Education System in the US does not have a funding problem but a SPENDING PROBLEM. The Government is not efficient at all....everything it touches goes to shit in a handbasket.....this giant Bureaucracy wastes Billions (800+ Billion since 1992) each fiscal year, more than enough to give the teachers a 50% raise across the board.

Its a documented fact......taxpayers have witnessed a 27% increase in their tax dollars going to Education.....but our teachers have seen a 2% average decrease in salaries across the board since 1992.

The major problem? For every new student enrolled in our public school systems across the nation.....Big Brother has hired 4 new employees per student...the vast majority of which were not TEACHERS....but bloated STAFFS. http://www.thefederalist.com/2017/05...on-since-1992/

Then we must consider the source....PBS, who gets a great deal of funding from the coffers (422 Million per year that go toward local and state TV stations and PBS, NPR, etc.)) of the US TREASURY.
    Is it any wonder they are standing like a beggar with their hat in their hands asking, "MORE SOUP PLEASE?"

When is enough, ENOUGH? When will the problem/disease be addressed instead of "wasting" countless billions treating the symptoms of the disease known as a Bloated Bureaucracy? This is what happens when some government Bureaucrat thousands of miles away tells the local school broads where their ass is itching and where and when to scratch it.
    Last edited by Ralph; 04-09-2018 at 05:19 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I’m well aware of expense write-offs for business.

Requiring self-paid continuing education is very relevant. As well as pay being equated with advanced degrees.

$40,000 a year equates to around $15.00 an hour for the hours teachers I know put in. Shit wages.

Do teachers have to die or live on the street for you?
    Leaving aside your projection the whole "battle for $15" is that $15 is a living wage. Now you're claiming it isn't. Whether teachers deserve more than $40K in Oklahoma is a different topic. But they are making a living wage.

Edit: How about draw an org chart showing the money allocated for education and how much of it is siphoned off before it reaches the teachers and the classroom. We'll get a better understand of why teachers lack supplies.