Members banned from this thread: Cancel 2018. 3, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.1, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, CFM, Ralph, Cancel 2018.2, Eagle_Eye, countryboy, The Ugly Truth and BodyDouble

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: I Miss Martin Luther King

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default I Miss Martin Luther King

Today is the anniversary of MLK's death.

It was a sad day for the United States of America.

The assassination was a set-back for race relations in America, which are still strained to this day.

I had hope that President Obama, as the first black president, would use his bully pulpit to further the work of MLK, but sadly he was not interested in doing so, and let the monumental opportunity pass.

Worse yet, his election energized hate groups across the nation and reignited racial animosity.

How will the USA ever overcome racial tensions and discrimination?

Shall we overcome?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (04-04-2018), evince (04-04-2018), moon (04-04-2018), signalmankenneth (04-04-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-04-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Your concerns require a great deal of perspective. I have always figured that Obama couldnt be seen as the president of black America only so had to walk a fine line. Much of todays racism is from boomers and they are fading fast. Each generation improves on the last and our youth are much less racist than their elders. I know of no objective way to measure racism but I can say there is no way black stars like Denzel Washington or Will Smith would have happened 50 years ago.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Cypress (04-04-2018), moon (04-04-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-04-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,367 Times in 6,038 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 602 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Today is the anniversary of MLK's death.

It was a sad day for the United States of America.

The assassination was a set-back for race relations in America, which are still strained to this day.

I had hope that President Obama, as the first black president, would use his bully pulpit to further the work of MLK, but sadly he was not interested in doing so, and let the monumental opportunity pass.

Worse yet, his election energized hate groups across the nation and reignited racial animosity.

How will the USA ever overcome racial tensions and discrimination?

Shall we overcome?
    He was a great man and American. He belongs in the circle with William Wallace, Ghandi, Nelson Mandella and all others who stand for peace, justice and the rights of the oppressed.

BTW, I see at the top of this thread, it says:

Members banned from this thread: Yurt, USFREEDOM911, Havana Moon, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, I Love America, Teflon Don, Dark Soul, Felonia von Pantsuit, CFM, Ralph, Yaya, Eagle Eye, countryboy, The Ugly Truth and BodyDouble

How do you ban individual posters from a thread? I want to try that to keep the scum, fake news and overall bullshit from posting on my messages.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-04-2018), moon (04-04-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

" I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

I agree with this so much.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (04-04-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-04-2018)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,847 Times in 14,186 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

And he was murdered while fighting for workers on strike in memphis

Martin Luther King Jr. fought for more than civil rights. This was the protest less remembered

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...113-story.html

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-04-2018)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-04-2018)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,427 Times in 53,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Your concerns require a great deal of perspective. I have always figured that Obama couldnt be seen as the president of black America only so had to walk a fine line. Much of todays racism is from boomers and they are fading fast. Each generation improves on the last and our youth are much less racist than their elders. I know of no objective way to measure racism but I can say there is no way black stars like Denzel Washington or Will Smith would have happened 50 years ago.
    Or that a movie starring a black super hero and black cast would become a blockbuster. Things *are* getting better but progress is far slower than Dr. King might have hoped for had he lived.

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Martin Luther King Jr. stood for revolutionary transformation; he is used today to support policies that he fought against

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,427 Times in 53,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post
    He was a great man and American. He belongs in the circle with William Wallace, Ghandi, Nelson Mandella and all others who stand for peace, justice and the rights of the oppressed.

Members banned from this thread: Yurt, USFREEDOM911, Havana Moon, PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, I Love America, Teflon Don, Dark Soul, Felonia von Pantsuit, CFM, Ralph, Yaya, Eagle Eye, countryboy, The Ugly Truth and BodyDouble

How do you ban individual posters from a thread? I want to try that to keep the scum, fake news and overall bullshit from posting on my messages.
    When you create the new thread there is an option to ban certain ppl. PoliTalker chose wisely in this thread by preventing the worst racists from strewing their garbage all over it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (04-04-2018), moon (04-04-2018)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Or that a movie starring a black super hero and black cast would become a blockbuster. Things *are* getting better but progress is far slower than Dr. King might have hoped for had he lived.

I agree, It seems to be a progressively generational thing

18. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-04-2018)

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello DonaldvoTrumpovich,

Yes, and it is sad he is not around today to continue his work. It is also sad that no one else has been able to capture his baton and carry it forward.

When you are creating a thread, you have one and only one opportunity to ban posters. After you post your thread, you cannot edit your ban list. Look under the window in which you enter the text of your Opening Post. There, you will see a window entitled "Ban From Thread:". Enter the names of the posters you wish to ban. If you wish to ban multiple posters, simply put a semicolon after each entry except the last.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Martin Luther King Jr. stood for revolutionary transformation; he is used today to support policies that he fought against

Martin Luther King stood for the ideas that this nation was founded on

21. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-04-2018)

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello katzgar,

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Dylan Roof.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

we need to make sure that color of skin is not a factor for decisions! Its what Martin Luther King Jr would want!
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Here is a general email sent out by Congressman John Lewis, who marched with MLK, and was nearly killed for it:

"Obama.org

Fifty years ago today, I was with Robert Kennedy in Indianapolis when we heard that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had been shot and killed.

The leader of our movement for civil rights was gone, assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis.

And I believe something died in all of us that day. Something died in America.

But I've also always held the belief that what he left us — the way of hope, the way of peace, the way of love, a philosophy and discipline rooted in nonviolence — cannot be taken away. These things are eternal.

On Monday, I had the privilege of meeting with President Obama and a group of young men in Washington, D.C. for a My Brother's Keeper Alliance roundtable. Together, we commemorated the legacy of Dr. King, celebrated his life, and looked to the future.

I believe we can always do more to embody the teachings of Dr. King, not just on the anniversary of his death, but every day.

And young people are demonstrating that spirit to us. They are organizing and speaking up. They're marching. They're demanding more for themselves and their generation.

And so I had a message for the young folks I met with this week.

When I was growing up as a child in Alabama, I saw crosses that the Klan had put up. I saw signs that said "white" and "colored." There were places we couldn't go. The majority of African Americans could not participate in a democratic process in the South. We could not register to vote. And when I first came to Washington to go on the Freedom Rides in 1961, black people and white people couldn't be seated together on a Greyhound bus leaving this city.

When I got involved in the Civil Rights Movement as a young man, we'd sit in at restaurants. People would spit on us, put their cigarettes out on us, pour hot coffee down our backs. I was arrested 45 times in the 1960s. I was beaten, left bloody and unconscious.

But I never gave up. And today, you cannot give up.

That's what Dr. Martin Luther King can teach us today. His message is as important now as it was 50 years ago:

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Because of King and the actions of so many others, we brought those signs down. We earned the right to sit in those restaurants. We earned the right to vote.

Now, all across the South and all across America, there are elected officials who are people of color. In the recent elections in Virginia and around the country, more people of color and more women were elected to positions of power. They are African American, Latino, Asian American, Native American. Our country is a much better place — a much different place — in spite of all the setbacks and interruptions of progress.

Dr. King taught us to be brave, to be courageous, to be bold. I don't know where America would be, where many of us of color would be, were it not for him.

His legacy was to speak up, stand up. When you see that something isn't right or fair, you have to do something — you have to get in the way. Get into good trouble.

The young men I met with this week give me so much hope for our future."

—Congressman John Lewis "

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

moon (04-04-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-04-2018)