Thread: Oklahoma teacher protest

1. #661 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    E tu? My husband's career was spent in IT also (systems architect/software engineer). You're exactly right. He worked at the same company for 31 years; five years ago he was golden-parachuted out the door and replaced by an H1B visa guy from Indian at half the salary. The same thing happened to his colleagues who had higher degrees and who were paid the most. They kept the employees with associates degrees and who were paid much less than the masters level guys/gals.

Are you retired now?
    I had a stroke and couldn't work anymore. The whole department was shortly after spun off and sold, which was in the works before I left. Most of my associates were also let go, as I would have been. It was a strange place to work anyway. A previous employer decided that all divisions were to cut costs by 10%. Mine, and a couple of others, decided to do it by letting people go. I was told, a couple of years later, that I was selected because my wife used the health insurance too much.
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhenn For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-10-2018)

3. #662 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    Did Jobs make that pitch or did he have employees who did that, or who wrote the pitch for him?
    Read Isaacson's book on him. It goes into all the detail. It also details his discussion with Obama and his frustration at politics holding back children from learning. Jobs was a brilliant man and one of our country's greatest entrepreneurs but even he is no match for the power of the teachers unions.

4. #663 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 611 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    1) that's not how they do it now?
    Not that I ever heard when my wife was teaching. They didn't pay any attention to the improvement, just the absolute test score.

2) isn't that still "teaching to the test" we hear people complain about?
    Not really. The test is supposed to measure actual achievement. If it's not doing that, then the test needs improvement.
    RINO is the term for that rare Republican who puts country above party.

Right wing = lie, lie, and lie some more.

"When I am president I'm going to be working for you. I'm not going to have time to play golf" Donald J. Trump, world class snake oil salesman and compulsive golfer August 2016

The definition of "racist" as "anyone who is white" is itself racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Powell
    It’s now ‘me the president’ instead of ‘we the people’

5. #664 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    As I said twit normal people don't joke with people they don't like. You two twits thought you could pull one over on me and I shut your sorry little asses down. No it wasn't a joke it was a poorly attempted scam. And yes a scam is a lie. I am still laughing that you two can be so moronic.
    It was a joke because absolutely everyone knows who the Royal Brits are you dumb ass.

Btw, Owl and I were joking with each other with that pic, NOT with you, you dumb ass.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gotcha68 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-10-2018)

7. #665 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,630 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good Morning!

8. #666 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,341 Times in 53,241 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjhenn View Post
    I had a stroke and couldn't work anymore. The whole department was shortly after spun off and sold, which was in the works before I left. Most of my associates were also let go, as I would have been. It was a strange place to work anyway. A previous employer decided that all divisions were to cut costs by 10%. Mine, and a couple of others, decided to do it by letting people go. I was told, a couple of years later, that I was selected because my wife used the health insurance too much.
    Thanks. I'm sorry for this misfortune. The days of company loyalty to good employees are well and truly gone.

9. #667 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,617 Times in 11,612 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    It was a joke because absolutely everyone knows who the Royal Brits are you dumb ass.

Btw, Owl and I were joking with each other with that pic, NOT with you, you dumb ass.

I love seeing you two squirm it brightens my day, please keep it up.

10. #668 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Totally random LR but are you familiar with a book called Funny Money? I'm reading it now. It was written in 1985 I believe. It was about Penn Square Bank which was a big oil and gas loan broker in OKC in the late '70's/early '80's. They ultimately went bust but were high profile during their peak and brought a lot of attention to OKC. Anyway it's also an interesting history of your state and all the various oil wildcatters that existed. Quite a cast of characters.
    I am not familiar with the book but very familiar with the time. I remember well the wealth gained and lost isn the late 70’s and throughout the 80’s. We had a saying in our family that Uncle Dave made and lost millions a time or two in the 80’s. And he was quite an eccentric character himself. He’s pretty normal now, though still on the wealthy side. I love books like that and will definitely be reading it.

11. #669 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    I am not familiar with the book but very familiar with the time. I remember well the wealth gained and lost isn the late 70’s and throughout the 80’s. We had a saying in our family that Uncle Dave made and lost millions a time or two in the 80’s. And he was quite an eccentric character himself. He’s pretty normal now, though still on the wealthy side. I love books like that and will definitely be reading it.
    fwiw here's the link to the book. Seems your Uncle Dave would fit well in this story.

https://www.amazon.com/Funny-Money-M.../dp/0618197273

12. #670 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,626 Times in 9,294 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Thanks. I'm sorry for this misfortune. The days of company loyalty to good employees are well and truly gone.
    GWTW

13. #671 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

fwiw here's the link to the book. Seems your Uncle Dave would fit well in this story.

https://www.amazon.com/Funny-Money-M.../dp/0618197273
    I got it. I downloaded to my kindle app and phone. I’ve read 2 chapters (standardize test day) and will be finishing the book. Very interesting so far.

Beep Jennings - “Jennings was a registered Democrat who voted for Republican presidential candidates.”

I can relate. Hope that’s not indicative of my future. But that’s doubtful as I am only a teacher and have no desire to become an investment banker or bank owner in my 2nd career. Thanks for bringing up the book though. I’m going to enjoy it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cawacko (04-10-2018)

15. #672 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I got it. I downloaded to my kindle app and phone. I’ve read 2 chapters (standardize test day) and will be finishing the book. Very interesting so far.

Beep Jennings - “Jennings was a registered Democrat who voted for Republican presidential candidates.”

I can relate. Hope that’s not indicative of my future. But that’s doubtful as I am only a teacher and have no desire to become an investment banker or bank owner in my 2nd career. Thanks for bringing up the book though. I’m going to enjoy it.
    I'm on page 110 right now. I'm assuming you grew up in OK? Would love to hear more of your feedback as you go through to see if you remember any of these events or just your thoughts on how they describe the state during that time period

16. #673 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm on page 110 right now. I'm assuming you grew up in OK? Would love to hear more of your feedback as you go through to see if you remember any of these events or just your thoughts on how they describe the state during that time period
    Yes sir. I’ve lived here all my life, born on an army base south of OKC. I will remember some of this but the details won’t be there like recent history because back then (I was in high school and college) if it wasn’t baseball, girls or math I didn’t pay much attention.

17. #674 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes sir. I’ve lived here all my life, born on an army base south of OKC. I will remember some of this but the details won’t be there like recent history because back then (I was in high school and college) if it wasn’t baseball, girls or math I didn’t pay much attention.
    Hahahaha. Understandable.