Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma teacher protest

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Thanks for saying this. My youngest is a teacher, with a masters in special ed/minor in early childhood special ed. She makes $40K/year, after 8 years of teaching.

WTF.
    Adjusting for the fact that teachers work 3/4 of the year, it's equivalent to a person working all year making over $53,000. Furthermore, most teachers can retire in their early 50s with a full pension, plus they have great health care benefits. Cry harder snowflake!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirthinksalot For This Post:

Truth Detector (04-02-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Thanks for saying this. My youngest is a teacher, with a masters in special ed/minor in early childhood special ed. She makes $40K/year, after 8 years of teaching.

WTF.
    Does she work at a private or public school? (private schools generally pay less right?)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,711 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    Not sure who is paying attention to this, but it's tough to watch what some of these teachers have to do just to make ends meet. Many work multiple jobs. The salaries they have talked about our incomprehensibly low to me...often just above the poverty line.

OK ranks 49th in teacher pay, but it's not like it's that great in most states.

What does it say about America that we put such a low priority on compensating this profession? I actually can't think of too many professions that I would consider to be more important. It makes no sense, and is a poor investment in our future.
    Dostoyevsky said you can judge the civilization of a society by looking into its prisons...but I think that can be amended to add a society can be judged on how it values it's teachers.

I do not think respect for teachers in the United States is very high. The lack of respect obviously translates to some degree to salary. Not many people encourage their kids to be teachers. I actually cannot think of any adult I know who actively talks up teaching and encourage their kids to pursue it.

Conservative dogma attacks public education year in and year out, decade after decade. I know over the years there have been discussions on the board in which the rightwing in particular, held public education and teachers in low esteem.

We live in a materialistic society that places enormous value on status, wealth, and the trappings of power. The pursuit of money and profit are often held to be the pinnacle of human achievement. Look at Trump - a lifetime pursuing money, prestige, wealth, and materialism. Does he seem like the type of guy that would hold teachers in high esteem?

I have a niece who loves being a teacher, but is thinking about getting out of it because it is almost impossible the make ends meet. I do not think it speaks well to our society that a prison guard or a Pentagon contractor could make a reasonably comfortable living, while a lot of teachers can't. I do not think super-charged, self-interested capitalism of the kind that exists in this country is completely to blame. But the lack of respect for teaching as a career and teachers in particular has to have at least something to do with how this country worships the kind of super-charged materialism, profiteering, and militarism seen on Wall Street, the Pentagon, and throughout the bastions of the existing economic hierarchy of this society.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (04-03-2018), Mott the Hoople (04-02-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-02-2018)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

As far as I can remember, LR has never complained about pay. I know cost of living is low there, but some of the salary ranges they were talking about were so low - and, of course, school supplies, books and any kind of special programs really suffer, as well.

Budget is a direct reflection of our priorities as a nation. I just think it's embarrassing how low proper education is on the list. That kind of investment pays for itself many times over.
    I picked this as the post to quote in my response. I knew going in back in 1984 what the pay was like in Oklahoma. I just wanted to teach, make a living, provide a home and be able to participate in my hobbies. I have been offered jobs with accounting firms after helping solve some problems for them over a summer ... more money. I have been offered jobs with a company that frames and dries in houses after working with them over a few summers ... more money. I have been offered jobs from a republican politician after helping him with his campaign ... more money. The latest is an offer from TI ... my teacher retirement in tact and more money. I have turned all of these offers down because I like to teach an am not out to do more than what I stated in the third sentence of this paragraph.

Along the way I have been fortunate to be able to travel to a few locations I didn’t have the desire to travel to when I started back in my twenties. That brings me to my second point...cost of living. I make enough to live comfortably. I own a 5 bedroom, 2200 sq ft house on two acres. Over the years it has been about a $60,000 investment. Much lower than a lot of places. I live among a lot of poor people. I make in the neighborhood of $45,000 a year and get to stay home doing it and that makes me rich in their eyes. The folks who go off and work in the oil industry or construction industry obviously make more but they have to go away to do it. But I fully understand why some can’t make a go on the starting salary in OK. If I hadn’t stayed single for so long (didn’t get married until I was 35) I don’t know if I could have done it. If I didn’t live in the country I’d have a much more difficult time. If I wasn’t raised and taught to make my own household repairs and do my own remodels I’d not have what I have. I drive a 21 year old truck and a 14 year old Tahoe. My wife does work and we keep her in a newer vehicle but it has over 100,000 miles on it.

To my third point.... It is not a raise that I want. I want our schools to be fully funded once again. We have been cut to the bare bones. I want our school to be able to hire a janitor so that I don’t have to clean my room every day and do the maintenance work on bathrooms that need to be done from time to time. I want to be able to buy new books for my classes...the ones that I use are 12+ years old. I’d like to have some that are more modern and tied to some online activities. I want our school to be able to offer music and art again. We have been cut more in the past 15 years than any state in the nation because of our republican leaders and their failure to value public education. I fully expect a wave in the other direction during the next few political cycles.

With that said, our staff of teachers voted unanimously not to participate in the walkout tomorrow. OKC passed a bill that implemented a tax increase (cigarette and fuel tax + gross production...the big one) and teacher raises. It is supposed to increase school funding and I think it would mean about an $8000 raise for me, less for teachers with fewer years of experience. Whatever. I just want them to fund our schools so we can do our jobs. I want them to appreciate that we’ve been doing more with less for a long time and we are growing tired. I’m OK with what they’ve passed if they’ll just follow through and not go back and change things. But Oklahoma Educators Association isn’t satisfied and is encouraging the walkout take place anyway. Tom Coburn is organizing on the other side to protest the increase in taxes. And I’m still tired. I’m ready to retire and get a job driving a tractor for Fish and Game.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Cancel 2020.1 (04-02-2018), cawacko (04-02-2018), Rune (04-02-2018), Sirthinksalot (04-01-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-02-2018)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not sure who is paying attention to this, but it's tough to watch what some of these teachers have to do just to make ends meet. Many work multiple jobs. The salaries they have talked about our incomprehensibly low to me...often just above the poverty line.

What does it say about America that we put such a low priority on compensating this profession? I actually can't think of too many professions that I would consider to be more important. It makes no sense, and is a poor investment in our future.
    Well, considering teachers are not paid nationally, this would reflect more on OK than on all of America.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Sirthinksalot (04-01-2018), Truth Detector (04-02-2018)

10. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

this is all wrong
    Last edited by iewitness; 04-01-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,423 Times in 53,289 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Does she work at a private or public school? (private schools generally pay less right?)
    Public.

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,670 Times in 16,595 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wish them luck...there's a tremendous amount of money misappropriated in our schools. I'd love to see all those funds actually go to teachers and students.
    What a concept...

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

so beg your local school board to double your property taxes.........

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

My youngest is a teacher, with a masters in special ed/minor in early childhood special ed. She makes $40K/year, after 8 years of teaching.
    )
    40k a year is above average pay around here for any job......

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Public.
    Ouch, that's low (well from a California cost of living perspective at least)

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

It is short sighted indeed. I turned down an offer to teach high school science because they pay package and conditions of employment were insulting. I truly respect the dedication of Educators who make these sacrifices.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Rune (04-02-2018), ThatOwlWoman (04-02-2018)

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

LR is a teacher in Oklahoma. I know there is no easy answer for this but if we really want the best to become teachers we need to have a different compensation model other than just years taught.
    How about doing what most corporations do. Offer attractive pay, benefits and working conditions to attract the best talent?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,632 Times in 11,620 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree that teachers are underpaid for the job they do. However "According to the BLS, in 2016, elementary school teachers earned a median salary of $55,800. The best-paid earned about $88,590, while the lowest-paid made approximately $36,560."
    https://money.usnews.com/careers/bes...teacher/salary
    You cannot only look at the amount you must also take the cost of living into account. $36k may be fine in some areas while $55k may be borderline in others.

You also have to realize that in most states home owners pay a school tax. In my area my school tax is higher than my property tax. So it isn't a simple problem.

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    How about doing what most corporations do. Offer attractive pay, benefits and working conditions to attract the best talent then protect them from politics?
    Many corporations don't pay jack to those first starting. Within almost every corporation though the best have an opportunity to advance and earn much higher pay. That doesn't exist in teaching.