Thread: talk about dreams coming true

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Default talk about dreams coming true

http://wgntv.com/2018/03/30/from-joh...hawks-victory/

CHICAGO — In a season where you expect the unexpected with one of the more consistent franchises in the NHL, this one might top them all.

Unlike many of the surprises from this year’s Blackhawks team, however, this one was incredibly positive. In fact, it’s downright inspirational.

During warmups for Thursday’s game with the Jets, goaltender Anton Forsberg suffered a lower leg injury. That forced backup Collin Delia, who was called up to replace J.F. Berube this week, into the starting role. In his place, the Blackhawks brought in an emergency goalie literally from the Johnny’s Icehouse adult leagues.

That’s 36-year-old accountant Scott Foster, who was signed to a one-day amateur tryout agreement, and since the team was down to a single goalie, he had to suit up. This came just hours after he finished working at Chicago’s Golub Capital as an accountant, when suddenly he found himself a member of the Blackhawks.

“I was probably a block away, so moments before warm up, roughly give or take,” Foster said, explaining when he found out he would be the official backup for the Blackhawks. “The initial shock happened when I had to dress and I think you just kinda blackout after that.”

Little did he know what was coming about two hours later.

With 15 minutes left to go in the game against the Jets, Delia exited the game with an injury, and in came Foster. Leading 6-2, there wasn’t a lot of worry about putting the amateur goalie into the net for the end of the third period. In fact, coach Joel Quenneville was laughing a bit when Foster emerged from the locker room in his pads.

“I don’t think I heard anything other than, ‘Put your helmet on,'” said Foster, who in his No. 90 jersey skated to the crease.

In the process of fulfilling a lifelong dream, he also came up with a once-in-a-lifetime performance.

Facing a playoff-bound Winnipeg squad, Foster stopped all seven shots he faced over the final 14:01 of the game to hold onto the four-goal lead for a victory.

“That’s something you’ll never forget,” said Foster, who had the biggest media crowd of the night around his temporary locker at the United Center. “You understand what’s happening, and they’re going to have a lot of fun with it, and you might as well, too.”

In that time, there were a few memorable moments. Foster’s first official save came 6:59 into the third period on a shot by Tyler Myers. Later in the period, he made a stop of a hard slap shot by former Blackhawks forward Dustin Byfuglien. As the chants of “Foster, Foster” began from the crowd, Foster made his final stop of the night on Joel Armia.

When it was all over, it was Foster who was named the No. 1 star of the game, much to the delight of the crowd.

“It was opening day for baseball but we had to go to the bullpen a couple times today,” Quenneville said of his unusual goalie rotation on Thursday. “It was one of those interesting things that you don’t see very often, and I thought both goalies played extremely well.”

What’s most impressive is that Delia, and then Foster, played so well against a Jets team that’s going to finish in the top three in the Western Conference. At 104 points, the team is in the midst of their best run since returning to Manitoba in 2011. But for one night, they took a rookie goalie and then an amateur.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

That's pretty awesome. We almost had to go to our back-up catcher here in Seattle for the opening of baseball, but, he would have been a regular player who simply doesn't play the position. This reminds me of the character that Wahlberg portrayed who got to try-out for the Eagles off the street.

3. #3 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,510 Times in 16,973 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

I saw that on the NHL channel. Good for him. Was as big a news as Crosby's game winning goal in OT last night.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (04-01-2018)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Great story...thanks for sharing it, Smarter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

TOP (04-01-2018)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

some footage from his 14 minutes of awesomeness

A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

I bet his amatuer league team mates and opponents start treating him with a noticeably greater degree of deference and respect.

Not to mention his co-workers at the office.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank for sharing us.. Nice story..