1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Default As millennials procreate, gender-neutral monikers percolate

As millennials procreate, gender-neutral monikers percolate

Orlando Sentinel25 Mar 2018By Leanne Italie

NEW YORK — Whether Royal, Charlie or Salem, Skyler, Justice or Oakley, unisex names for babies are on the rise among parents more willing than ever to embrace the possibility of gender fluidity in their children and attempt to head off sexism on their behalf.

“We’re definitely seeing more conversation today around the distinction of a truly gender-neutral name,” said Linda Murray, global editor-in-chief of BabyCenter.com. “This generation is truly interested in genderneutral names.”

The Social Security Administration puts out a top 10 list of popular baby names every year based on its registrations, but it also keeps track of names on the rise in its top 1,000.

Name-watchers said crossovers and more neutral names haven’t overtaken the top spots but are more heavily represented in the broader ranking, especially among millennial parents.

Pop culture and honoring family or religious history are important in baby naming, as is the cool factor.

But more names are being used for either sex regardless of which gender they were originally associated with, and neutral naming has become a flash point for debate.

“We chose a gender-neutral name, Riley, for my daughter,” said Lori Kinkler, a psychologist in San Antonio, Texas.
    “We knew her sex, but gender is fluid and yet to be determined Of all the difficulties faced by those who live beyond, or across, the binary, we didn’t want name-changing to be one of them. I like that she feels she has options and knows she’ll be accepted by us no matter what.” Riley is 3. Pamela Redmond Satran, co-writer of “The Baby Name Bible” and “Cool Names for Babies,” blogs about baby-naming and is also co-founder of the baby name site Nameberry.com, which crunches about 50,000 names every which way.

Satran said the interest in embracing potential gender fluidity is “an important reason, but it’s not the only reason. In fact, a lot of people choose unisex names because they think they’re cool or they’re meaningful to themselves but they raise their kids in a very genderspecific way.”

Millennials aren’t the only ones to give their kids gender-neutral names.

Kyle Good grew up in the 1950s, the middle of five children and the only sibling with a gender-crossing name, based on a performer her father liked.

“My partner is named Jerry, for Gerald, so when we get introduced as ‘Kyle and Jerry’ most people think I’m Jerry and he’s Kyle,” she said.

Satran said some gender neutral-names follow other trends, such as choosing traditional last names as first names (hello, Madison) or bits of geography and nature: Lake, Blue, Dakota.

And spellings have long signaled gender in names that sound the same: Yves vs. Eve.

In a few countries, unisex names are forbidden by law: Portugal, Denmark and Iceland.

Local registrars decide in Germany if an unusual name would negatively affect a child.

Sorry, Harper, but it’s unclear where those rules would leave you.

Harper is the 10th most popular female name in the Social Security Administration’s 2016 rankings, the latest available. It ranked 793 among boys that year.

“We named our baby Avery Morgann. The intention was to give them more room to define themselves as they get older.
    Also, name changes are expensive and frustrating,” said parent C.J. Alicandro, of Portland, Ore., who strives for gender neutrality in all ways for the 21⁄2-year-old.

“We wanted to set up Avery with an opportunity to not be limited as much as possible by a name and be able to choose an identity as much as possible, given the confines that are forced upon them,” said Alicandro, 31, a social worker.

Rebecca Connolly, 29, in the western New York town of Castile, said she and her guitar-playing husband chose Lennon Wallace for their 21⁄2-year-old son.

Both she and her husband are fans of late Beatles musician John Lennon — for his music and activism.

“I wouldn’t say I intentionally gave my son a unisex name,” Connolly said. “As a child I felt bad for all the Taylor, Jordan and Jamies I knew whose names didn’t identify their sex. By the TOP 10 BABY NAMES time I was having kids, 50 percent of the little girls I met were named Riley, Avery, Logan, etc. And I realized all soft-sounding boy names are now considered unisex.

“I hate the double standard that giving a girl a boy name is spunky and strong but giving your boy a name used by girls will get him bullied and called a sissy at school,” she said.

Connolly also has a daughter, Lucille Beatrice, and is pregnant with a second son.

The current front-runner name for him is considered masculine, she said, declining to reveal it, “though with the boy name on girls trend going strong, maybe it’ll be considered unisex by the time he’s in school.”

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

^
    ^

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Amazing isn't it? All my life the left has beat into our heads that a person can not choose their sexuality, it's the way we were born. As of about the last 7 or 8 years they've been preaching the exact opposite......everybody CAN now choose the sexuality they want, that it has NOTHING to do with how science and medicine and our DNA prove the facts.
    The inmates are running the asylum.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (03-25-2018)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Amazing isn't it? All my life the left has beat into our heads that a person can not choose their sexuality, it's the way we were born. As of about the last 7 or 8 years they've been preaching the exact opposite......everybody CAN now choose the sexuality they want, that it has NOTHING to do with how science and medicine and our DNA prove the facts.
    The inmates are running the asylum.
    the millenials are soooo warped out.
    They pay attention to this leftist PC nonsense and are so confused they don't even know who they are

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Stretch (03-26-2018)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 326 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    As millennials procreate, gender-neutral monikers percolate

Orlando Sentinel25 Mar 2018By Leanne Italie

NEW YORK — Whether Royal, Charlie or Salem, Skyler, Justice or Oakley, unisex names for babies are on the rise among parents more willing than ever to embrace the possibility of gender fluidity in their children and attempt to head off sexism on their behalf.

“We’re definitely seeing more conversation today around the distinction of a truly gender-neutral name,” said Linda Murray, global editor-in-chief of BabyCenter.com. “This generation is truly interested in genderneutral names.”

The Social Security Administration puts out a top 10 list of popular baby names every year based on its registrations, but it also keeps track of names on the rise in its top 1,000.

Name-watchers said crossovers and more neutral names haven’t overtaken the top spots but are more heavily represented in the broader ranking, especially among millennial parents.

Pop culture and honoring family or religious history are important in baby naming, as is the cool factor.

But more names are being used for either sex regardless of which gender they were originally associated with, and neutral naming has become a flash point for debate.

“We chose a gender-neutral name, Riley, for my daughter,” said Lori Kinkler, a psychologist in San Antonio, Texas.
    “We knew her sex, but gender is fluid and yet to be determined Of all the difficulties faced by those who live beyond, or across, the binary, we didn’t want name-changing to be one of them. I like that she feels she has options and knows she’ll be accepted by us no matter what.” Riley is 3. Pamela Redmond Satran, co-writer of “The Baby Name Bible” and “Cool Names for Babies,” blogs about baby-naming and is also co-founder of the baby name site Nameberry.com, which crunches about 50,000 names every which way.

Satran said the interest in embracing potential gender fluidity is “an important reason, but it’s not the only reason. In fact, a lot of people choose unisex names because they think they’re cool or they’re meaningful to themselves but they raise their kids in a very genderspecific way.”

Millennials aren’t the only ones to give their kids gender-neutral names.

Kyle Good grew up in the 1950s, the middle of five children and the only sibling with a gender-crossing name, based on a performer her father liked.

“My partner is named Jerry, for Gerald, so when we get introduced as ‘Kyle and Jerry’ most people think I’m Jerry and he’s Kyle,” she said.

Satran said some gender neutral-names follow other trends, such as choosing traditional last names as first names (hello, Madison) or bits of geography and nature: Lake, Blue, Dakota.

And spellings have long signaled gender in names that sound the same: Yves vs. Eve.

In a few countries, unisex names are forbidden by law: Portugal, Denmark and Iceland.

Local registrars decide in Germany if an unusual name would negatively affect a child.

Sorry, Harper, but it’s unclear where those rules would leave you.

Harper is the 10th most popular female name in the Social Security Administration’s 2016 rankings, the latest available. It ranked 793 among boys that year.

Also, name changes are expensive and frustrating,” said parent C.J. Alicandro, of Portland, Ore., who strives for gender neutrality in all ways for the 21⁄2-year-old.

“We wanted to set up Avery with an opportunity to not be limited as much as possible by a name and be able to choose an identity as much as possible, given the confines that are forced upon them,” said Alicandro, 31, a social worker.

Rebecca Connolly, 29, in the western New York town of Castile, said she and her guitar-playing husband chose Lennon Wallace for their 21⁄2-year-old son.

Both she and her husband are fans of late Beatles musician John Lennon — for his music and activism.

“I wouldn’t say I intentionally gave my son a unisex name,” Connolly said. “As a child I felt bad for all the Taylor, Jordan and Jamies I knew whose names didn’t identify their sex. By the TOP 10 BABY NAMES time I was having kids, 50 percent of the little girls I met were named Riley, Avery, Logan, etc. And I realized all soft-sounding boy names are now considered unisex.

“I hate the double standard that giving a girl a boy name is spunky and strong but giving your boy a name used by girls will get him bullied and called a sissy at school,” she said.

Connolly also has a daughter, Lucille Beatrice, and is pregnant with a second son.

The current front-runner name for him is considered masculine, she said, declining to reveal it, “though with the boy name on girls trend going strong, maybe it’ll be considered unisex by the time he’s in school.”
    This is fucking child abuse, sick fucks, that psychologist needs to have her license revoked.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,037 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

So what is Bannon? Doesn't really invoke images of Chuck Norris

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    So what is Bannon? Doesn't really invoke images of Chuck Norris
    it's a last name..we don't get to choose them

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

I hate the double standard that giving a girl a boy name is spunky and strong but giving your boy a name used by girls will get him bullied and called a sissy at school,” she said.
    tom-boys are 'spunky' tom-girls are sissy