Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Boris The Animal, J Craft, CFM, Cancel 2018.2, chink, PraiseKek, TOP, Eagle_Eye, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip and Rob Larrikin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My current Netflix recommendations...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default My current Netflix recommendations...

“Peaky Blinders”
    Peaky Blinders is a gangster family epic set in Birmingham, England in 1919, several months after the end of the First World War in November 1918. The story centres on the Peaky Blinders gang and their ambitious and highly cunning boss Tommy Shelby.

“Occupied”
    Is a Norwegian political thriller TV series. Set in the near future, Russia initiates a "silk glove" invasion of Norway to restart oil production, but soon uncertainty, chaos and danger erupt.

“Babylon Berlin”
    A Soviet freight train's hijacking leads a haunted cop and a poor typist to uncover a political conspiracy amid the vice and glamour of 1929 Berlin.

“Fartsa”
    This Russian series kicks off in Moscow in 1961, as four childhood friends on the brink of adulthood decide to go into business together — illegal business, born out of desperation. They become “fartsovshchik”: black-market retailers who sell contraband Western clothing. The show has a “Catch Me if You Can” vibe; it’s colorful and peppy and bright, with inventive tracking shots and a fizzy energy (NY Times review).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Bourbon (03-23-2018), Mott the Hoople (03-25-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

I've been thinking about getting a Netflix account soon.

I want to check out the new Letterman show.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a Netflix account soon.

I want to check out the new Letterman show.
    I consider it money well spent, mate!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I consider it money well spent, mate!
    A gal pal friend of mine has it through one of her son's. He has a multiple user account and she and her husband use one of them for free. Sounds pretty cool. After I get a few other things out of the way, I'm going to do it. Been using an antenna and not paying to watch TV for nearly 15 years, so I'm ahead of the game that way.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

Cypress (03-22-2018)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    A gal pal friend of mine has it through one of her son's. He has a multiple user account and she and her husband use one of them for free. Sounds pretty cool. After I get a few other things out of the way, I'm going to do it. Been using an antenna and not paying to watch TV for nearly 15 years, so I'm ahead of the game that way.
    Cheerio, mate.
    A couple others I dug...

3%
    A Brazilian TV series. In a dystopian future where the elite inhabit an island paradise far from the crowded slums, you get one chance to join the 3% saved from squalor.

Locust
    A Russian TV drama series. A torrid affair between a passionate lowborn poet and a wealthy Moscow heiress is engulfed by class difference, criminality and, eventually, murder.

warning: brief nudity

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Cheerio, mate.
    A couple others I dug...

3%
    A Brazilian TV series. In a dystopian future where the elite inhabit an island paradise far from the crowded slums, you get one chance to join the 3% saved from squalor.

Locust
    A Russian TV drama series. A torrid affair between a passionate lowborn poet and a wealthy Moscow heiress is engulfed by class difference, criminality and, eventually, murder.

warning: brief nudity
    Cool.

Sounds like TOO MANY choices!!!!
    C'MON MAN!!!!

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

“Peaky Blinders”
    Peaky Blinders is a gangster family epic set in Birmingham, England in 1919, several months after the end of the First World War in November 1918. The story centres on the Peaky Blinders gang and their ambitious and highly cunning boss Tommy Shelby.

“Occupied”
    Is a Norwegian political thriller TV series. Set in the near future, Russia initiates a "silk glove" invasion of Norway to restart oil production, but soon uncertainty, chaos and danger erupt.

“Babylon Berlin”
    A Soviet freight train's hijacking leads a haunted cop and a poor typist to uncover a political conspiracy amid the vice and glamour of 1929 Berlin.

“Fartsa”
    This Russian series kicks off in Moscow in 1961, as four childhood friends on the brink of adulthood decide to go into business together — illegal business, born out of desperation. They become “fartsovshchik”: black-market retailers who sell contraband Western clothing. The show has a “Catch Me if You Can” vibe; it’s colorful and peppy and bright, with inventive tracking shots and a fizzy energy (NY Times review).

Have you seen “The Death of Stalin”? It looks like a hilarious black comedy.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (03-25-2018), Phantasmal (04-07-2018)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Have you seen “The Death of Stalin”? It looks like a hilarious black comedy.
    Holy smoke, how did I miss this one? It looks bloody good, mate!

Thanks for the intel!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-25-2018), Phantasmal (04-07-2018)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Holy smoke, how did I miss this one? It looks bloody good, mate!

Thanks for the intel!
    Yea I saw in a trailer where Steve Buscemi (Kruschev) and Jeffery Tambor (Malinkov) are walking down a hall with a white wall where there are bullet holes and blood dripping down the wall where people had obviously just been executed and Buscemi is telling Tambor with a straight face "Look, everything is going to be fine.". I about fell out of my chair. Another scene where Stalin is laying dead on the floor and his minister of the secret police say, in rather apathetic tones. "He's feeling unwell, clearly.". I mean I have to see this movie.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Cypress (03-25-2018)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Cypress (03-25-2018)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    I just watched Altered Carbon. That was a pretty fun cyberpunk flick in the style of Blade Runner and The Matrix.
    That genre of sci fi is right up my alley, and I have been thinking about checking that series out. Thanks for the intel.

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Yea I saw in a trailer where Steve Buscemi (Kruschev) and Jeffery Tambor (Malinkov) are walking down a hall with a white wall where there are bullet holes and blood dripping down the wall where people had obviously just been executed and Buscemi is telling Tambor with a straight face "Look, everything is going to be fine.". I about fell out of my chair. Another scene where Stalin is laying dead on the floor and his minister of the secret police say, in rather apathetic tones. "He's feeling unwell, clearly.". I mean I have to see this movie.
    Outstanding.

Russian history is epic, larger than life, and peppered with characters that are iconic: ranging from the incredibly evil and heinous, to the truly angelic and virtuous. I am surprised Russian history is not used as a backdrop in more movies. Just my opinion.

"Enemy at the Gates" was an excellent movie recently on Netflix, with the Battle of Stalingrad serving as the backdrop....based on the true story of Soviet sniper Vasily Zaytsev, played by Jude Law. I give it 4.5 our of 5 stars!

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

If I may throw out there Roxanne Roxanne. For any old hip hop heads Roxanne Shante was the battle rap queen

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Cypress (03-31-2018)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If I may throw out there Roxanne Roxanne. For any old hip hop heads Roxanne Shante was the battle rap queen
    Cannot say I am into rap, but I totally dig those Netflix biopic offerings about rock bands and musicians.
    I really liked the Netflix biopic on Tom Petty, and there was a good one Duff McKagan, the former bass player of Guns and Roses. I don't know why stories of alcoholic, doped up, and strung out rock stars are so titillating to me...I hope it doesn't make me a bad person!

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Cannot say I am into rap, but I totally dig those Netflix biopic offerings about rock bands and musicians.
    I really liked the Netflix biopic on Tom Petty, and there was a good one Duff McKagan, the former bass player of Guns and Roses. I don't know why stories of alcoholic, doped up, and strung out rock stars are so titillating to me...I hope it doesn't make me a bad person!
    If it does then there are a lot of bad people because everyone of those VH-1 behind the music stories was like that; success, drugs, personal failings, redemption etc