Thread: Apple using secret facility in CA for MicroLED screens

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

Default Apple using secret facility in CA for MicroLED screens

Apple is using a secret facility in California to design and manufacture prototype MicroLED screens, according to a report from Bloomberg. Engineers are said to have produced fully functional Apple Watch-sized MicroLED screens at the facility, with a view to using the technology commercially for the first time in the watch. The Apple Watch currently uses OLED screens from LG Display.

MicroLED is a complex new emissive display technology where, like OLED, each pixel gives off its own light instead of relying on backlighting for the entire panel. This can give MicroLED excellent contrast, power efficiency, and viewing angles without OLED's compromises on brightness or longevity. Samsung is also working on MicroLED and showed off a 146-inch modular TV using the technology at CES in January. The TV, dubbed “The Wall,” will supposedly go on sale in August, although no price has been announced.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/1...-us-watch-oled

a) At last !!

b) HD was impressive to those of us accustomed to CRT. Then UHD surpassed HD. So what's next? And how will that next gen. resolution look with this display technology?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

WTF ... I finally trashed the last CRT in the house with HD
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

3. #3 | Top
    I know where the most beautiful small town in America is.
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 23 Posts

Sounds like Apple elected to manufacture their product in America instead of overseas. I hope other companies follow suit and do the same.
    I wonder what changed their mind?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I know.
    I just bought a UHD, the display I'm using in extended mode w/ my notebook computer on desktop (thus having two display screens on one computer).

BUT !!

The new technology isn't going to degrade the old. You'll still get the same extraordinary performance out of your display.

What's exciting about this new technology (I deduce) is that each pixel will be its own LED. That's the way it should have been from the beginning.

And while a few years ago they were hawking "LED" flat-panels, what they actually were, were merely the same LCD display technology, but with LED backlight. It's an improvement, but merely an incremental improvement.

This innovation attributed to Apple will complete the transition. And while I've (obviously) never seen such display, I'm guessing @UHD or higher resolution, it'll be nearly as good as looking out the window.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BodyDouble View Post
    Sounds like Apple elected to manufacture their product in America instead of overseas. I hope other companies follow suit and do the same.
    I wonder what changed their mind?

If they were cranking out iPhone numbers, rather than small Expensive units ... then you'd see different.

Consumers are NOT going back to spending $5k for Hi-Def Televisions again.
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BD #3

The article says they're designing & manufacturing prototypes.
    So I don't know if or where the consumer production facility may be.

BUT !!

I recently read South Korea has the fastest broadband on Earth. If you were the Apple exec tasked with locating the production facility, would that infrastructure tempt you?

7. #7 | Top
    I know where the most beautiful small town in America is.
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    If they were cranking out iPhone numbers, rather than small Expensive units ... then you'd see different.

Consumers are NOT going back to spending $5k for Hi-Def Televisions again.
    I can see someone spending 5 grand or more for a 146 inch TV. I doubt something like that is ever going to come down to the $399 range.