Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What defines a Christian?

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Christians claim to worship God as an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent being, they make him out to be incompetent bumbler. Or worse. Simple forgiveness is beyond his capacities. God must "sacrifice himself to himself to change a rule he made himself!"

This is not only an absurdity, it is an essential absurdity. It is present in almost all forms of Christianity, and one can scarcely remove it and remain a Christian in anything but name. By definition, all Christians worship Christ - in some form - and most worship him as a saviour.

But what, exactly, is he saving us from? Though it varies from church to church, no matter what they call it, it's God himself. A hell created by God, a world fallen as a result of God's negligence, a separation from God imposed... by God.

Christianity certainly isn't the first religion to promote appeasement of its gods, and if it were merely another supernatural protection racket, it would be bad enough. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. Christians elevate appeasement to the realm of "personal relationship", transforming their religion into a true monstrosity.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (04-25-2018)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    But what, exactly, is he saving us from? Though it varies from church to church, no matter what they call it, it's God himself. A hell created by God, a world fallen as a result of God's negligence, a separation from God imposed... by God.
    Many Christians will tell you it's all Eve's fault, of course. That's right -- blame the woman. Says so right there in the Book.

I can't think of anything more heinous than to teach your children that they were born flawed, sinful, possibly bordering on evil. So they had better go to church and accept Jesus or they are hell-bound.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-21-2018), Guno צְבִי (04-21-2018), JqYaqui (04-25-2018), kudzu (04-21-2018), Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-29-2018)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Many Christians will tell you it's all Eve's fault, of course. That's right -- blame the woman. Says so right there in the Book.

I can't think of anything more heinous than to teach your children that they were born flawed, sinful, possibly bordering on evil. So they had better go to church and accept Jesus or they are hell-bound.
    Yes it's child abuse
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

6. The Following User Groans At Guno צְבִי For This Awful Post:

PostmodernProphet (04-21-2018)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-21-2018)

8. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Jesus was a Jew.. They don't believe in hell.
    I believe he proved you wrong.....

9. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

much better to let them grow up as unbelievers and go to hell.......

10. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Christians claim to worship God as an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent being, they make him out to be incompetent bumbler. Or worse. Simple forgiveness is beyond his capacities. God must "sacrifice himself to himself to change a rule he made himself!"

This is not only an absurdity, it is an essential absurdity. It is present in almost all forms of Christianity, and one can scarcely remove it and remain a Christian in anything but name. By definition, all Christians worship Christ - in some form - and most worship him as a saviour.

Christianity certainly isn't the first religion to promote appeasement of its gods, and if it were merely another supernatural protection racket, it would be bad enough. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. Christians elevate appeasement to the realm of "personal relationship", transforming their religion into a true monstrosity.
    nasty atheists......

11. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I believe he proved you wrong.....
    You mean "Sheol" and "Hades"?

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You mean "Sheol" and "Hades"?
    mostly I just mean you are wrong.......

13. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Then don’t teach them that. Teach the the truth:

I wasn’t born a sinner or guilty of sin. Each accountable person is responsible for his own sin. (Ezekiel 18:20) So when I am old enough to know right from wrong (an age that varies from person to person) and I sin ... and I will (Romans 3:23), I incur a debt that I cannot pay. I deserve [eternal] death (Romans 6:23a) but because of the grace of God I have this gift that makes [eternal] life possible (Romans 6:23b). There aren’t but two roads or destinations to choose from...and it is our choice (Matthew 7:13-14).

Once I hear the story of this matchless Grace (The death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ - I Corinthians 15:1-3) I must choose to accept this gift on God’s terms, Believing in Him and that Jesus is His son (Hebrews 11:6; John 8:24), Repenting Of my Sins (Acts 17:30), choosing to follow His rules for my life to the best of my ability, Confessing before men with my mouth that I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God (Romans 10:9-10; Acts 8:37), and allowing myself to be baptized (buried/immersed in water) for the remission (washing away) Of Sins in the blood of the Lamb/Jesus (Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; Revelation 7:14). Then I must remain faithful, following His rules for my life to the best of my ability as long as I live on this earth (Revelation 2:10). There are things for me to abstain from ... ways for me to be and not to be (I Corinthians 6:9-11; Galatians 5:19-25; Hebrews 10:25-26). I will fail and fall short so I continually rely on the blood of Christ for forgiveness (I John 1:7; James 5:16). I realize that the things of this world are temporary and I have a living hope for something much better (James 4:4; I John 2:15-16; Hebrews 11:13-16). Teach them this truth.

14. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jesus was a Jew.. They don't believe in hell.
    You are assuming Jesus took the modern Jew's POV.

15. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Then don’t teach them that. Teach the the truth:

I wasn’t born a sinner or guilty of sin. Each accountable person is responsible for his own sin. (Ezekiel 18:20) So when I am old enough to know right from wrong (an age that varies from person to person) and I sin ... and I will (Romans 3:23), I incur a debt that I cannot pay. I deserve [eternal] death (Romans 6:23a) but because of the grace of God I have this gift that makes [eternal] life possible (Romans 6:23b). There aren’t but two roads or destinations to choose from...and it is our choice (Matthew 7:13-14).

Once I hear the story of this matchless Grace (The death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ - I Corinthians 15:1-3) I must choose to accept this gift on God’s terms, Believing in Him and that Jesus is His son (Hebrews 11:6; John 8:24), Repenting Of my Sins (Acts 17:30), choosing to follow His rules for my life to the best of my ability, Confessing before men with my mouth that I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God (Romans 10:9-10; Acts 8:37), and allowing myself to be baptized (buried/immersed in water) for the remission (washing away) Of Sins in the blood of the Lamb/Jesus (Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; 22:16; Revelation 7:14). Then I must remain faithful, following His rules for my life to the best of my ability as long as I live on this earth (Revelation 2:10). There are things for me to abstain from ... ways for me to be and not to be (I Corinthians 6:9-11; Galatians 5:19-25; Hebrews 10:25-26). I will fail and fall short so I continually rely on the blood of Christ for forgiveness (I John 1:7; James 5:16). I realize that the things of this world are temporary and I have a living hope for something much better (James 4:4; I John 2:15-16; Hebrews 11:13-16). Teach them this truth.
    Well, thanks, but no thanks. I taught my kids empathy by asking them when they hit someone else, or snatched their toy away, or pulled the dog's ear "How would you feel if someone did that to you?" I raised them to know that they are amazing and valued and cherished beings, born right the first time, in no need of "salvation" from a deity. I took them to the woods and the land and the lakes and taught them to listen to the breath of the wind in the trees, the songs of birds and insects, and to love the sky and storms and sun -- because these things are life itself. We are part of this life, not above or separate from it.

We watched CNN and other news channels and sorrowed with those affected by wars and disasters. When Hurricane Andrew wiped out parts of Florida, they had a garage sale and sold some of their stuffed animal toys and other stuff, and gave me the proceeds to donate to the Red Cross. I did drag them to Mass and PSR because their dad insisted on it, but I gave them what matters most -- the knowledge that "I am a worthy person, capable of great things and of helping others." They have lived up to that.

BTW, I am pagan and have been for decades.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-21-2018), Guno צְבִי (04-22-2018), JqYaqui (04-25-2018), Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-22-2018)

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Well, thanks, but no thanks. I taught my kids empathy by asking them when they hit someone else, or snatched their toy away, or pulled the dog's ear "How would you feel if someone did that to you?" I raised them to know that they are amazing and valued and cherished beings, born right the first time, in no need of "salvation" from a deity. I took them to the woods and the land and the lakes and taught them to listen to the breath of the wind in the trees, the songs of birds and insects, and to love the sky and storms and sun -- because these things are life itself. We are part of this life, not above or separate from it.

We watched CNN and other news channels and sorrowed with those affected by wars and disasters. When Hurricane Andrew wiped out parts of Florida, they had a garage sale and sold some of their stuffed animal toys and other stuff, and gave me the proceeds to donate to the Red Cross. I did drag them to Mass and PSR because their dad insisted on it, but I gave them what matters most -- the knowledge that "I am a worthy person, capable of great things and of helping others." They have lived up to that.

Respectfully, I have gathered what you have written from following your posts since you arrived here, but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to write that post.

Edit: I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-22-2018)

19. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    You are assuming Jesus took the modern Jew's POV.
    Absolutely not.. Looking at Judaism in the first century.

20. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 400 Times in 363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did you know that the origin of the masons were the pagans. It was one of the writings of Tom Paine, "the origin of the masons". The writings of tom paine should be mandatory reading from grade 1 to 12. They might cause some rwnuts heads to explode though.
    TRUMP SUCKS. TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS!
    ​The worst name you can call trump is trump. be best PIP LUTZ
    I come in peace! YO MAMA SHOULD KNOW UH HUH!

PIMP DADDY STFU>YURT Come Closer

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Oracle Of JPP 714 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-25-2018)

22. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 400 Times in 363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default How?

You don't define them. They define themselves by their actions. To me, a person who abides by "the sermon on the mount" and the 10 commandents would be a good christian. Anyone who follows the teachings of people like pat robertson, jerry fallwell, etc will wind up in hell, if there is one. I sure hope there's a hell.
    TRUMP SUCKS. TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS!
    ​The worst name you can call trump is trump. be best PIP LUTZ
    I come in peace! YO MAMA SHOULD KNOW UH HUH!

PIMP DADDY STFU>YURT Come Closer

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Oracle Of JPP 714 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-22-2018)