Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Republicans are smarter than Democrats

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    that depends upon how you define freedom. if, in your case, you define freedom as being forced to work a job and forced to pay taxes so that your government can spend your money in ways you find wasteful, then you are certainly free. If, on the other hand, you define freedom as having the ability to deny your government ways of forcing you to do things you choose not to do and do it with a 'bang bang', then i'm still free. the rest of your little rant is just you showing your hatred for things you don't agree with.
    I define freedom as being able to think what I please without being bullied by fat, thick foreigners who are as ignorant as pigshit. You should try growing up and see what grown-ups do.

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    I define freedom as being able to think what I please without being bullied by fat, thick foreigners who are as ignorant as pigshit. You should try growing up and see what grown-ups do.
    you do realize that over here YOU are considered the fat, thick foreigner who is as ignorant as pigshit......

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    think what you please. but can you DO as you please? grown ups DO things, they don't THINK things.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

think what you please. but can you DO as you please? grown ups DO things, they don't THINK things.
    I am hugely freer than you serfs are, as you'd know if they let you out.

5. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    There is a prof of biology here at NMU who it is said does not believe in evolution. I heard about him from a FB invite to some thing one of the local brewing companies has. They invite a guest like that who is sure to be controversial with the hopes of getting attendance on an otherwise meh evening, and selling lots of brewskies. I'm going to assume that since he teaches at the university level he has to have at least a masters. Didn't go to the event, but I'm sure at some point I'll encounter him since I'm minoring in biology. Oh boy. lol
    I really do not understand how one can have an advanced biology degree but dismiss evolution. I don't get how that happens! Though I admit, biology ain't my field...

There is no question it is possible to get the odd crack pot PhD here and there - the geologist who does not accept plate tectonics, the climate scientist who denies global warming....the clinical psychologist who actually thinks Donald Trump is not a sociopath!!

But you have to wonder about a university who allows an evolution-denying biologist to teach undergraduates....some of those kids might be getting into med school!

6. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

that depends upon how you define freedom. if, in your case, you define freedom as being forced to work a job and forced to pay taxes so that your government can spend your money in ways you find wasteful, then you are certainly free.

If, on the other hand, you define freedom as having the ability to deny your government ways of forcing you to do things you choose not to do and do it with a 'bang bang', then i'm still free. the rest of your little rant is just you showing your hatred for things you don't agree with.
    How do YOU define Freedom?

Do you not work, pay taxes or obey the law?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-21-2018)

8. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I really do not understand how one can have an advanced biology degree but dismiss evolution. I don't get how that happens! Though I admit, biology ain't my field...

There is no question it is possible to get the odd crack pot PhD here and there - the geologist who does not accept plate tectonics, the climate scientist who denies global warming....the clinical psychologist who actually thinks Donald Trump is not a sociopath!!

But you have to wonder about a university who allows an evolution-denying biologist to teach undergraduates....some of those kids might be getting into med school!
    It is indeed curious, but I suppose if he doesn't insist that the kids subscribe to his beliefs in order to keep their grades up, it's an exercise more in free speech and how to identify loony-tunes through critical thinking skills. lol After all, don't we have a crapton of RWNJs here who insist that our institutions of higher learning are all infested with liberals and that they do not allow other voices or free speech from the right/loony-tunes?

I had a chemistry teacher who home-schooled her brood of five kids, talked frequently about Sunday school and how she read them the Bible for bed-times stories (poor kids, I always wondered if they had nightmares after that), etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (03-21-2018)

10. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

It does boggle the mind. I think what the religious person does is compartmentalize. They simply assign the religious beliefs a section of their brain and within it do not apply the skills they have learned.
    Basically a"no rules apply" denial syndrome. There is no question that the DSM considers religious belief a delusional disorder except have a carve out specifically for the purpose of not diagnosing
    all religious people as such. It almost reads like a safe harbor provision for crying out loud.

Within higher academic circles if one is religious it definitely undermines their credibility in the group and of course evolution is antithetical to those superstitious systems.
    It is very possible to have extreme high intelligence in mathematics and applied engineering or say architecture and still be batso crazy generally and religious as well.
    Those professions do not require a longitudinal understanding of anything such as evolution. So I suspect they simply refuse to point the rational probing instruments at
    those particular problems. If they did, the religious beliefs would necessarily crumble. Such nonsense requires a support system of like minded goofballs and repetition
    of speech, song singing, appeals to authority using thre theatrical techniques of chrches etc etc to sustain it. And finally, the strict bible thumping actual triune God
    Jebus rising BS is a whole quantum leap of wacko above the mere ephemeral suspicion or hope in a higher power or good force, or whatever. Those cats are simply off the reservation.
    Hopeless brainwashed fools. Those types tend to be very angry people. Naturally they have full tilt mental contradictions that frustrate them and make them lash out much
    like a person with a real brain injury. Watch out for those types. They can be mean.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Cypress (03-21-2018)

12. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Did someone just say grownup do things without thinking? LMFAO

Probably true.

13. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It is indeed curious, but I suppose if he doesn't insist that the kids subscribe to his beliefs in order to keep their grades up, it's an exercise more in free speech and how to identify loony-tunes through critical thinking skills. lol After all, don't we have a crapton of RWNJs here who insist that our institutions of higher learning are all infested with liberals and that they do not allow other voices or free speech from the right/loony-tunes?

I had a chemistry teacher who home-schooled her brood of five kids, talked frequently about Sunday school and how she read them the Bible for bed-times stories (poor kids, I always wondered if they had nightmares after that), etc.
    I don't know if President Obama would qualify as a RWNJ but even commented on the fear of free speech on college campuses while he was still in office.

And the reality is liberals do tend to dominate college campuses in the administrations and facilities. It's been that way for awhile.

14. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I don't know if President Obama would qualify as a RWNJ but even commented on the fear of free speech on college campuses while he was still in office.

And the reality is liberals do tend to dominate college campuses in the administrations and facilities. It's been that way for awhile.
    Yes, look at the comments above like:

“Within higher academic circles if one is religious it undermines their credibility...”
    “There is no question that the DSM considers religious belief a delusional disorder...”

There is no doubt that liberals tend to dominate college campuses...and they intend to keep it that way if the quotes above are accurate.

Most of us prepare our kids for going to college by letting them know ahead of time the assault on their religious beliefs they will likely encounter at some point during their work there. I am a supporter of campus Bible Chairs which provide a place on or near college campuses for those of a like religious persuasion to hang out together.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cawacko (03-21-2018)

16. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"for those of a like religious persuasion to hang out together." lr #116
    Religion tends rather more to divide than to unite.

Christianity might have started out as one religion.
    But it's been splintering ever since.
    Now there's:
    - Unitarians
    - Catholics
    - B'hai
    - Protestant
    - Baptist
    - 7th Day
    - Mormon
    - etc
    "The tragedy of religion is that it languishes if unorganized, and it suffers corruption if it is organized, and when badly corrupted it has demonstrated a fierce ability to do harm." author Will Durant
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

17. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Yes, look at the comments above like:

“Within higher academic circles if one is religious it undermines their credibility...”
    “There is no question that the DSM considers religious belief a delusional disorder...”

There is no doubt that liberals tend to dominate college campuses...and they intend to keep it that way if the quotes above are accurate.

Most of us prepare our kids for going to college by letting them know ahead of time the assault on their religious beliefs they will likely encounter at some point during their work there. I am a supporter of campus Bible Chairs which provide a place on or near college campuses for those of a like religious persuasion to hang out together.
    I see it. I've always believed to each his own what they choose to believe or not but I see the responses of those who choose to knock those who believe. Young people today are a lot less religious (if the stats I read are correct). Seems a number of them could use some God in their life and the knowledge there is something bigger out there than just them.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (03-21-2018)

19. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I see it. I've always believed to each his own what they choose to believe or not but I see the responses of those who choose to knock those who believe. Young people today are a lot less religious (if the stats I read are correct). Seems a number of them could use some God in their life and the knowledge there is something bigger out there than just them.
    You are right. Personally I use the wisdom of Tao for its simplicity. I think of it as the bible without all the b.s. and chatter.

20. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

" Young people today are a lot less religious (if the stats I read are correct). Seems a number of them could use some God in their life " c #118
    You have conflated religion & god here. It's a common mistake.

But it is a statistical certitude they are not the same. Ockham's Razor: agnosticism is the most rational perspective.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18