Members banned from this thread: evince, canceled.2021.2 and CFM

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 83% Of America's Top High School Science Students Are The Children Of Immigrants

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    you want to keep the conversation on immigration yet you bring up educated peoples aversion to trump...holy crap?
    but you see, the problem is your lack of education.......you can't tell the difference between objections to illegal immigration and objections to immigration......tell me this, why are the demmycrats adverse to bringing people in legally and forcing them to remain illegal?......shucks they can't even vote to allow the dreamers to be here.....

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I am puzzled about the motivation for this thread.........nobody is objecting to immigration......particularly the immigration of highly qualified and educated people.........its illegal immigration which is the issue.........
    The motivation? I said it in my first paragraph. What is it about foreigners that so dominate us in science? Like I said we don't have to be number one in everything. Being an excellent scientist doesn't automatically mean one will be an excellent leader. But Americans do fall behind in STEM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-17-2018)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 313 Times in 276 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    The motivation? I said it in my first paragraph. What is it about foreigners that so dominate us in science? Like I said we don't have to be number one in everything. Being an excellent scientist doesn't automatically mean one will be an excellent leader. But Americans do fall behind in STEM.
    Problems with our schools started occurring when liberals gained control of the school districts. We didn't have these problems back when our school children said prayers at the beginning of the school day.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,641 Times in 27,298 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I am of a practical bent. When you look at a map you see immediately why few Americans use a second language given our isolation. Europeans live so jammed together multiple languages makes sense. Speaking an immigrants language just means their english usage is learned slower. When I go to Mexico people often understand reality and want to speak english to me.
    Good points.
    I think the point about geographic isolation is still true.
    But I think the argument they we are culturally and linguistically isolated and cut off rings less and less true as time goes on.

Half a century ago, new immigrants were basically shamed into not passing their language and culture off to their children in this country. I do not think that is the case anymore.

I know second and third generation Mexican-Americans who are very interested in maintaining their links to their native language and culture, even as they are fully assimilated as American citizens. My father made every effort to pass on language, custom, and culture to me and my brother, without the slightest hint of shame.

Culture and entertainment are not as isolated as they once were. There is a whole world of amazingly good foreign language movies and TV on Netflix. Netflix is basically an international conglomerate at this point, something the whole world shares. I sometimes watch a foreign television show in the native language I am familiar with, to try to beef up my linguistic skills.

Far from being useless, I think modern research shows that learning languages improves cognitive skills...basically makes one smarter.

But your point about isolation still holds true to some degree. I am personally embarrassed when traveling in Quebec and forcing those people to have to use English on me!

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I speak two languages other than English... It's not all that and a cracker..
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (03-17-2018)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    This does not surprise me in the least. We have become a nation of entitled, uninquisitive, mentally lazy people and it shows in our kids (students) and their efforts at anything hard....except how to beat some shoot em up vulgar video game.
    This right here.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

ah I thought you were making some point about being anti-immigration......

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

the trumpsters just are uneducated deplorables, your post is common knowledge among educated people.
    What’s not being said is that the Children of Immigrants have always had a disproportionate number of high achievers.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Sailor (03-17-2018)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    What’s not being said is that the Children of Immigrants have always had a disproportionate number of high achievers.
    Children of Immigrants.......sounds real classy when you capitalize it.......

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Don't forget to include diversity of thought in there. Diversity of thought makes America great and many universities today are going away from that
    That’s redundant. You can’t have the one without the other.

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Asians make up a large portion of the science fair. So how can you complain about them getting advantages then say they are doing it right?
    Thats overstated Wacko. What makes Asians as a demographic unique in STEM fields is the high percentage of Asian women who study STEM fields which is around 50% greater than white women. If you break these demographics down to include gender then white males have the highest percentage of people who graduate in STEM fields and dominate in terms of absolute numbers.

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    This does not surprise me in the least. We have become a nation of entitled, uninquisitive, mentally lazy people and it shows in our kids (students) and their efforts at anything hard....except how to beat some shoot em up vulgar video game.
    Except the numbers don’t bear that out in actual academic achievement. Where immigrants and Asians in particular are exceptional is the number of women who achieve in the elite STEM fields and professions. The STEM fields in our nation are dominated by white males. What’s disconcerting is the number of white women who do not pursue studies in STEM related field.

So what’s going on that so many women now pursue college education, more women then men now, but so few pursue STEM fields. Is it the competition that turns them off or the rigerous work required?

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Thats overstated Wacko. What makes Asians as a demographic unique in STEM fields is the high percentage of Asian women who study STEM fields which is around 50% greater than white women. If you break these demographics down to include gender then white males have the highest percentage of people who graduate in STEM fields and dominate in terms of absolute numbers.
    I don't have numbers in front of me but from experience working at several places in the Silicon Valley I saw way more Asian engineers than white ones.

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    students in us gov. public schools are students of fake "science". dead end.
    I went to public high school and a State funded University and I have a masters degree in Science. What science do you have a graduate degree in and what qualifies you to make such an asinine observation?
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 03-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I am puzzled about the motivation for this thread.........nobody is objecting to immigration......particularly the immigration of highly qualified and educated people.........its illegal immigration which is the issue.........
    No it isn’t. The issue is why do children of immigrants, legal or otherwise, have higher academic achievement rates?