Members banned from this thread: PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Ralph, countryboy and The Ugly Truth

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings Good Posters. Anybody up for Civl Discourse of Politics?

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Love America View Post
    Look at my new puppy following me around the board starved for my attention.
    Aren't you the right wing snowflake who bans everyone from your usually dumb threads? You conservative snowflakes are rather funny, when challenged you hide, when your nonsense is countered you run. Sad.

"One reason I'm such a wayward prognosticator of rightwing trends is that I'm incapable of blacking out enough neural sectors to see the world through reptilian-brained eyes, a prerequisite for any true channeling of the mean resentments and implanted fears that drive hardcore conservatives." James Wolcott
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Post:

Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-27-2018), Phantasmal (04-27-2018)

3. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 400 Times in 363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Aren't you the right wing snowflake who bans everyone from your usually dumb threads? You conservative snowflakes are rather funny, when challenged you hide, when your nonsense is countered you run. Sad.

"One reason I'm such a wayward prognosticator of rightwing trends is that I'm incapable of blacking out enough neural sectors to see the world through reptilian-brained eyes, a prerequisite for any true channeling of the mean resentments and implanted fears that drive hardcore conservatives." James Wolcott
    Pleased to meet you!
    TRUMP SUCKS. TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS!
    ​The worst name you can call trump is trump. be best PIP LUTZ
    I come in peace! YO MAMA SHOULD KNOW UH HUH!

PIMP DADDY STFU>YURT Come Closer

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is sad how many people want to use stereotypes.

"All conservatives are the same."

"All liberals are the same."

Baloney!

We are all individuals, no two alike.

Amazing how many forget that simple truth.

The beauty of this place is the diversity.

The beauty of America is the diversity.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Cancel 2018.2 (06-19-2018)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

JqYaqui (06-19-2018)

7. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There really is a lot of mindless drivel and pure hatred expressed on this board.

I made a conscious decision to rise above that garbage long ago.

I COULD mix it up with those who would take up my time arguing inane absurdities.

But WHY?

Why spend any time at all giving them attention?

Too many people are already doing that.

My philosophy is to use the given filters aggressively to cut through all of that and get to the real quality posts.

I want to read and interface with crucial thinkers.

I don't want to spend all day here going in circles.

I want to involve myself in material that challenges my intellect.

These pissing matches are for morons.

Flame wars are a sad addiction that people become afflicted with, and then it turns into a habit they can't extract themselves from.

Anybody who is totally immersed in that affliction would hardly know what to do with themselves if they were cut off.

The worst trolls, if they get banned from one site, they just go to another and start up all over again. It's a mental illness.

I'm staying above it.

And I invite anyone who is tired of that drivel to simply block it all out. Identify the trouble makers and place them on Ignore.

If all the good people here did that, the trolls would become marginalized. They would have no enablers, get no endorphin rush. They would be shut down.

This board is what we make it, people.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

The less we reinforce them, the fewer of them we will have to wade through to get to QUALITY POSTS from RESPECTFUL PEOPLE.

Do yourself a favor.

Put a troll on Ignore today!

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (06-20-2018)

9. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Consider this:

An internet chat room is not a good representation of the non-cyber world. This place is NOT a microcosm of the real world. The proportions are inherently off.

Chat rooms have a greater proportion of annoying anti-social people, because most real world cultured gatherings of humans simply do not tolerate that kind of impersonal disagreeable behavior.

Internet trolls can only exist on the internet.

That means that when well adjusted people go to the internet to participate in chat rooms, they will encounter these annoying types of minds in greater numbers than face-to-face.

We are under no obligation to give them an audience!

If you want a better representation of the real world, as far as political thinking goes, the thing to do is filter out the trolls.

And after all, I came here to discuss politics.

I thought the name of the place was Just Plain Politics, not Just Plain Trolls.

It IS JPP, right?

Let's put the POLITICS back into Just Plain Politics!

10. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello good people,

Another day, another poster on Ignore.

The most recent one never really contributed much anyway, that I could tell, so won't be missed.

Typical pattern.

A conversation begins.

I make a statement about the subject.

Another poster makes a conflicting statement. Implies that I have said something inaccurate. Doesn't actually say so. (No problem. At this point we're just establishing what we each believe about the subject.)

I provide a link which supports my statement, and refutes the position of the other poster. (Of course, as I do so, I focus only on the subject of discussion.)

The other poster insults me.

They get placed on permanent Ignore.

And they become my latest example to those who think they can just have me to unload their frustrations, stereotypes and misunderstandings on.

And here is a warning to anybody who thinks they can tell me off: I don't care if you are angry at 'the left.' I don't care if you want to attach all kinds of things to me, blame me for whatever you blame 'the left' for, or whatever. I am not going to be your receptacle for your latest fits of frustration. Not going to be your enabler. You can tell me off one time. That's on you. If I DON'T place you on Ignore, then I am accepting you will tell me off again. That's on me. Dis me once, shame on you. Dis me twice, shame on me.

The way I see it, if you flame on me and I don't put you on Ignore I would be a fool.

So if you want to talk to me, then you will have to treat me with the same respect that I treat you. Most can do that, but some just can't.

I understand it is predictable that social misfits go to the internet if they can't make any real friends. Those types are found here. It is prudent to set the appropriate filters to avoid seeing their attempts at being obnoxious and annoying enough to get attention + a small temporary endorphin rush.

That's what the Ignore feature is for.

An unpleasant chore, but absolutely worth while for preserving peace and intellectual serenity.

11. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello good people,

The most recent one never really contributed much anyway, that I could tell, so won't be missed.

Typical pattern.

A conversation begins.

Another poster makes a conflicting statement. Implies that I have said something inaccurate. Doesn't actually say so. (No problem. At this point we're just establishing what we each believe about the subject.)

I provide a link which supports my statement, and refutes the position of the other poster. (Of course, as I do so, I focus only on the subject of discussion.)

And they become my latest example to those who think they can just have me to unload their frustrations, stereotypes and misunderstandings on.

And here is a warning to anybody who thinks they can tell me off: I don't care if you are angry at 'the left.' I don't care if you want to attach all kinds of things to me, blame me for whatever you blame 'the left' for, or whatever. I am not going to be your receptacle for your latest fits of frustration. Not going to be your enabler. You can tell me off one time. That's on you. If I DON'T place you on Ignore, then I am accepting you will tell me off again. That's on me. Dis me once, shame on you. Dis me twice, shame on me.

The way I see it, if you flame on me and I don't put you on Ignore I would be a fool.

So if you want to talk to me, then you will have to treat me with the same respect that I treat you. Most can do that, but some just can't.

I understand it is predictable that social misfits go to the internet if they can't make any real friends. Those types are found here. It is prudent to set the appropriate filters to avoid seeing their attempts at being obnoxious and annoying enough to get attention + a small temporary endorphin rush.

An unpleasant chore, but absolutely worth while for preserving peace and intellectual serenity.
    PoliTalk, perhaps you should leave. Your condescending posts will not have the effect you seek.
    I agree with most of the content of your last three posts, but please stop preaching and follow your advice.

12. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Polifake

I tried to be nice to it and it insulted me.

Insult is all this bot does

13. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello good people,

Typical pattern.

A conversation begins.

You can place me on ignore if you like.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

14. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Controlled Opposition,

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    PoliTalk, perhaps you should leave. Your condescending posts will not have the effect you seek.
    I agree with most of the content of your last three posts, but please stop preaching and follow your advice.
    Thanks for your shared beliefs in civility.

It is never my intent to be condescending. I have mentioned no names, nor stated any inaccuracy to my knowledge.

I have been completely honest in how I approach this.

I do intend to stay here a long time. I understand I can't expect this place to change because I have a different approach. I also understand it won't change unless people speak up. I would like to see it change for the better but that could take time. Ideas take time to change. People take time to change. One thing is certain: change occurs. Nothing stays the same.

Here's to a more relevant, less trashy JPP!

15. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Hello Controlled Opposition,

Thanks for your shared beliefs in civility.

It is never my intent to be condescending. I have mentioned no names, nor stated any inaccuracy to my knowledge.

I have been completely honest in how I approach this.

I do intend to stay here a long time. I understand I can't expect this place to change because I have a different approach. I also understand it won't change unless people speak up. I would like to see it change for the better but that could take time. Ideas take time to change. People take time to change. One thing is certain: change occurs. Nothing stays the same.

Here's to a more relevant, less trashy JPP!
    Your attempts to encourage “civil discourse” is commendable…but doing that here is like looking for peace and quiet by visiting rural Syria.

Ain’t gonna happen, Poli.

I much prefer civil, respectful conversations…and made an attempt at that during my first two months here. It was like blocking punches with my face. The “moderators” not only were not of help in setting a more moderate tone…some of them actually add significant fuel to the fire.

I have a couple of people on IGNORE…but some of the worst, I still engage. I give what I get…and being a charitable individual, I usually give back more.

Continue the lectures if you want, but I’m telling you in no uncertain terms…THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR THAT.

16. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    You can place me on ignore if you like.
    I don't enjoy doing that at all. I do it because life is too short for pissing matches.

May I ask why you feel I should do that?

I don't do that just because I disagree with people. It is possible to disagree with respect.

17. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    That approach is great, but it doesn't work very well here. I've tried this, but wasted my time. You have tons of right wing haters here, that openly speak their prejudices. They use the c word, and the n word enough to make a saint want them to fuck off. I'm sure some are trolls, but some may well be legit sickos as well. Here's a group of the Stormfront type sickos. Text Drivers Are Killers, Praisekek, Volsrock, hvilleherb, The Ugly Truth, Q-Tip, Ooda, CFM, Rob Larrkin
    Look at your 3rd sentence. That statement alone is enough to start a fight. So pussy boy stick to your girlish pictures and recipes threads.

18. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Evmetro,

I don't enjoy doing that at all. I do it because life is too short for pissing matches.

May I ask why you feel I should do that?

I don't do that just because I disagree with people. It is possible to disagree with respect.
    I am your political opponent. Don't you want to silence your opposition? According to the lefties of this board, my being a righty automatically qualifies me as a racist and a hater, so doesn't that make you want put me on ignore?
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

19. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Frank,

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Your attempts to encourage “civil discourse” is commendable…but doing that here is like looking for peace and quiet by visiting rural Syria.

Ain’t gonna happen, Poli.

I much prefer civil, respectful conversations…and made an attempt at that during my first two months here. It was like blocking punches with my face. The “moderators” not only were not of help in setting a more moderate tone…some of them actually add significant fuel to the fire.

I have a couple of people on IGNORE…but some of the worst, I still engage. I give what I get…and being a charitable individual, I usually give back more.

Continue the lectures if you want, but I’m telling you in no uncertain terms…THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR THAT.
    Looks to me like this forum is whatever we make it. It's a wide open libertarian approach to a political chat room.

What I see is a lot of people who enjoy mouthing off, blowing off steam, unloading on faceless others. And along with all those people are some other people who don't have to do that. Some tolerate the flames, simply don't retaliate, stick to the subject relentlessly. That's cool. I admire that. I represent another way to handle things. I use the Ignore feature extensively.

Most let discussions devolve into the frequent name-calling and insults. That's not cool, no matter how many people are doing it. I want no part of that.

I don't expect the mods to do anything to try to change this place. They do a great job. I don't go running to them for anything. They have a thankless job and don't need any complaints from somebody who doesn't accept the board the way it is. I do accept the board as is and deal with it in my own way with the given tools.

If you don't want to read what I write, then you have the capability to poof me if that's what you want.

I have to stand up for what I believe in.

I think we make a superior argument by simply pointing out why we take the positions we do. I think if we devolve into flame wars then we lose the edge of simply having the better argument. A good argument stands on it's own merit. It does not require to be bolstered with trash-talk. That actually detracts from it.