Members banned from this thread: PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Ralph, countryboy and The Ugly Truth

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings Good Posters. Anybody up for Civl Discourse of Politics?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello evince,

I don't think I'm missing that much, really. So much is repeated on these forums. There is merit to the theory that those who cannot express themselves without profanity might just be just making up for a lack of being truly informed. As if they don't want to let their guard down, (insecure?) or are afraid to go head to head and find out who has the better grasp of facts. I see plenty of fake news being passed off as 'fact.' I simply don't believe a good argument has to include aggression. That's Trump's style, but it's not the only way to argue.

You're free to argue any way you like. I know it is unrealistic to expect everyone to change because I want it to be different. I don't expect that at all. I'm simply using the tools given to me to personalize my experience here.

Much is said that you or I will never hear. It is impossible to hear everything, watch every news show. I take in information from a variety of sources. I do my own research online. I read investigative journalism. I really don't care what the trash-mouths are saying.

I know there are people who are saying things about me. That was part of the trick of learning strong Ignore Feature use. You have to get over caring what they say about you. You know, people talk about other people in every walk of life. Coworkers talk about each other when the worker is not around. Social friends talk about one another not in the presence of the subject. Family does that. Oh, does family ever do that. You can't control that.

I can take it, no problem. Been chatting online for decades. Whatever I am missing is not hurting my ability to stay well informed. Please go ahead and do it your way (unless you are curious) and I will do it my way. It takes two for harassment to occur. There is the harasser and the harassed. If one refuses to take part there is no harassment. Anybody can say something mean to somebody else one time. That's not an established harassment problem. But if the harassed allows it to continue that is when it becomes one. Most here have accepted that as business as usual. I don't. Call me weird. I don't care. I really don't care at all what anybody calls me because they can only do it once. After that I am not listening to it.

And you notice that often when I place a poster on ignore, I say 'let this be your last endorphin rush off me.' That's because I am breaking a cycle. An internet troll gets an endorphin rush if they get any response out of someone they have provoked in this way. I deny them that endorphin rush. What fun is it to insult somebody if they never even hear it? Many will simply give up and go for easier enablers who will give them the feedback they are looking for. I find that game boring. I don't come here for that. I just want to discuss politics. And that is supposed to be the reason we all came here.
    Oh make my day you pompous windbag.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

I figured I would get some more entries to my Ignore List by creating this thread.

It's working!

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

I figured I would get some more entries to my Ignore List by creating this thread.

It's working!

Just a heads up, you can't ignore mods. Software limitation. Sorry in advance bud.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

4. #34 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,511 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Hello evince,

I don't think I'm missing that much, really. So much is repeated on these forums. There is merit to the theory that those who cannot express themselves without profanity might just be just making up for a lack of being truly informed. As if they don't want to let their guard down, (insecure?) or are afraid to go head to head and find out who has the better grasp of facts. I see plenty of fake news being passed off as 'fact.' I simply don't believe a good argument has to include aggression. That's Trump's style, but it's not the only way to argue.

You're free to argue any way you like. I know it is unrealistic to expect everyone to change because I want it to be different. I don't expect that at all. I'm simply using the tools given to me to personalize my experience here.

Much is said that you or I will never hear. It is impossible to hear everything, watch every news show. I take in information from a variety of sources. I do my own research online. I read investigative journalism. I really don't care what the trash-mouths are saying.

I know there are people who are saying things about me. That was part of the trick of learning strong Ignore Feature use. You have to get over caring what they say about you. You know, people talk about other people in every walk of life. Coworkers talk about each other when the worker is not around. Social friends talk about one another not in the presence of the subject. Family does that. Oh, does family ever do that. You can't control that. I took a while to realize that. It took probably a month or so after I began to try it this way before I got over wondering what others were saying about me. Eventually I got to the point where I just don't care. And let me tell you. That is total freedom. That is complete security in my own strength and my own positions.

I can take it, no problem. Been chatting online for decades. Whatever I am missing is not hurting my ability to stay well informed. Please go ahead and do it your way (unless you are curious) and I will do it my way. It takes two for harassment to occur. There is the harasser and the harassed. If one refuses to take part there is no harassment. Anybody can say something mean to somebody else one time. That's not an established harassment problem. But if the harassed allows it to continue that is when it becomes one. Most here have accepted that as business as usual. I don't. Call me weird. I don't care. I really don't care at all what anybody calls me because they can only do it once. After that I am not listening to it.

And you notice that often when I place a poster on ignore, I say 'let this be your last endorphin rush off me.' That's because I am breaking a cycle. An internet troll gets an endorphin rush if they get any response out of someone they have provoked in this way. I deny them that endorphin rush. What fun is it to insult somebody if they never even hear it? Many will simply give up and go for easier enablers who will give them the feedback they are looking for. I find that game boring. I don't come here for that. I just want to discuss politics. And that is supposed to be the reason we all came here.
    There's your first contradiction. evince is one of the most hateful, foul mouthed posters here.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (03-18-2018)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's working!

Sorry fuzz nuts you are making many here happy.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    There's your first contradiction. evince is one of the most hateful, foul mouthed posters here.
    I knew he/she was a blithering idiot the second I saw the embrace of evince. How do you spell troll sock?

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Just a heads up, you can't ignore mods. Software limitation. Sorry in advance bud.
    Hello and greetings Quetzalcoatl,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. Nice place ya got here. I like the features.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I never considered doing that. And it makes sense mods need to be able to read all posts.

I only place people on Ignore if they are rude to me.

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Hello RB 60,

I've seen what he writes about other posters. I have zero qualms about placing anybody on Ignore who mouths off to me like that. He acknowledges my approach and treats me accordingly. No big deal. It's all I ask. Anybody can be nice if they really want to. We're just here talking about the things that affect our lives and the world. None of use likely have much power over much of that. There'e no reason to become angry at somebody because they posted something we disagree with. Simply point out the errors if you can find them and state what you believe is correct. If you can't do that then swearing is a pretty poor substitute for good debate. Basically, there's a lot of bad debating doing on around here and I'm not interested in it. I just want the good stuff.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello RB 60,

I've seen what he writes about other posters. I have zero qualms about placing anybody on Ignore who mouths off to me like that. He acknowledges my approach and treats me accordingly. No big deal. It's all I ask. Anybody can be nice if they really want to. We're just here talking about the things that affect our lives and the world. None of use likely have much power over much of that. There'e no reason to become angry at somebody because they posted something we disagree with. Simply point out the errors if you can find them and state what you believe is correct. If you can't do that then swearing is a pretty poor substitute for good debate. Basically, there's a lot of bad debating doing on around here and I'm not interested in it. I just want the good stuff.
    It was an arid dessert this morning here. I swore some had to be hungover, or something. Hvilleherb had 7 different obnoxious discussions, Q-Tip was trying to flame, and troll people with several discussions, etc. Hopefully it's better tomorrow, because it doesn't help ignoring people, when all the other posters get caught up in their nonsense.

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello and greetings Quetzalcoatl,

Pleased to make your acquaintance. Nice place ya got here. I like the features.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I never considered doing that. And it makes sense mods need to be able to read all posts.

I only place people on Ignore if they are rude to me.

Well you're likely to find me and Grind very, very rude. So I'm letting you know in advance.
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Well you're likely to find me and Grind very, very rude. So I'm letting you know in advance.
    Hello Quetzalcoatl,

Thanks for the insight. That's your freedom. Mine is engaging in conversation only with those who are interested in civil discourse.

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Meh, another brain-dead lib.

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Quetzalcoatl,

Thanks for the insight. That's your freedom. Mine is engaging in conversation only with those who are interested in civil discourse.
    I'm just here for the blood sports now.

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Meh, another brain-dead lib.
    Hello and farewell Dark Soul.

*Permanently Ignored*

Anybody else want to tell me off?

Come one, come all. If you are afraid of expressing yourself without the prop of personal attacks, if you can't simply express why your positions might be better than mine, without flames, I want you on my growing Permanent Ignore List. Speak up now. Save us both some time.

I am going to argue on the basis of merit.

I will never tell you off or insult you.

I believe in my positions strongly enough that I am willing to put them out there and let them stand on their own logic.

Wanna have an insult contest? You won't get it here.

Wanna go head to head? I welcome that.

How well informed are you? What motivates your logic?

16. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello and farewell Dark Soul.

*Permanently Ignored*
    Another closed-minded liberal.