Members banned from this thread: PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Ralph, countryboy and The Ugly Truth

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Greetings Good Posters. Anybody up for Civl Discourse of Politics?

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello posttense,

A successful and active forum thrives on new posters. I always get a good feeling when I see new participation.

Since this is a wide open forum with few rules I find it prudent to filter out the comments of those I find offensive to me. I have reviewed your brief posting history here since you began, and quickly learned all I needed to learn. I don't think you'll be very surprised to learn that I am putting you on my Ignore List for overt racism. I know those views are out there, I think it is a problem in our society, and it is unacceptable to me. I flatly refuse to listen to or read such talk. I sincerely hope you do have a good life.

Hmmm. I just proofed what I wrote and noticed I used the word 'learn' a lot. I'm good with that. Learning is a good thing.

This communication has ended.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This is a reminder to thread thieves. I do not post in stolen threads.

Recently, I had someone quote me. I am normally happy to reply when someone has a comment about something I've said. But I don't always do that. I certainly don't reply if the post violates my principles.

The quote was taken out of the thread I had replied to and posted in, and instead, posted in a newly created thread. It was a 'stolen thread.'

The original thread used a ban list. The author chose to do that as is the prerogative available to every author. I respect that. One poster, who was included on the ban list specifically chosen by the thread author, decided to override the wishes of the original author and create a 'stolen thread.' They completely copied everything from the original thread and created a new thread with the exact same title, the only difference being they added the words "OPEN DISCUSSION" at the end and the thread ban list was removed.

This is a despicable thing to do. Very selfish and disrespectful of the original thread author's wishes.

The discussion gets diluted. Now, there are two threads which appear the same. Few people are going to go and make the same comment in each, so this forces participants to choose. Neither thread gets as much or as complete discussion on the subject at hand. This goes against having a chat forum in the first place. We are trying to HAVE discussions, not kill them. And it adds another thread to the opening page, further diluting the quality of available threads there, forcing everyone with strong principles to scroll further along to find a worthy thread in which to post.

It's a dirty trick. Very selfish. It would be good if the mods would address this and make thread stealing a bannable violation. If this is not done, then I see no point in even having a thread ban feature. It is essentially useless without proper regulation.

So I refuse to post to stolen threads.

If you don't want to be excluded from a conversation I would suggest you simply improve your presentation so that nobody bans you. Forcing your way on others against their will is not respectful. People need to respect others and give them their space. Your freedom ends right at the moment you begin forcing your way upon others. That is not a part of freedom. Freedom means you are free to do your OWN thing, not mess with somebody else's thing.

Good respectful people do not post in stolen threads and they certainly do not create them.

This is fair notice to all thread-thieves:

I will not respond to quotes in stolen threads. I also refuse to participate in stolen threads. That is below the reasonable standard of decency.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello good people at JPP.

I come in peace to discuss the issues facing the USA. I offer manners and respect for you, and a promise that I will never tell you off, or be mean to you.

I respectfully ask for the same in return. Actually I require it. If you share my values this should represent a welcome diversion from the common immaturity seen here.

I am into civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Anyone who flames on me will be placed on my Ignore List. My rules are more strict than the site rules. My Ignore List is PERMANENT. I never take anyone off Ignore. If you like to call other posters names and you want to blame me, vent on me, etc, please identify yourself by flaming on me promptly so I can add you to my growing Permanent Ignore List.

Anyone can tell me off one time. If I accept that and do nothing I invite more of the same; I become the enabler for this type of unwarranted aggressive behavior. I am not going to do that. I know it is quite common around here, but I am not going to put up with it. I could. I simply choose not to. That's what an Ignore List is for. I feel like if I take part in that kind of tit for tat, that I lower myself to do that.

I fully expect to have a very large Ignore List quite rapidly. This is my strategy for having respectful conversations about our national issues. In order to enjoy what I seek, I must filter out ALL of the trash talk. I don't care what form it comes in. It can be accompanied by a very intelligent post, very articulate. That doesn't matter. If it includes being mean, saying mean things about me, I will add that poster to my Ignore List. I don't say mean things about other people, and I am not going to lower myself to those standards.

Many will not understand this. Some will think I will have nobody to talk to. They are wrong. There are good people with manners who are tired of the trash talking. Not as many as the trash talkers here, but that is not a problem. There is too much activity on this site to keep up with it all anyway. So I am going to build a nice little group of friends here who want to be polite, like they really care about one another. That's what I have in real life, and that is what I will have here. That means I am going to have to make some examples out of some people and show that I mean exactly what I said in my Signature. I refuse to be the target of such venting. Nothing personal at all. I simply choose to remain above that. You can do that too, you know. We all can. I choose to.

Also, it does not escape me that when people are unable to argue their positions solely on points of merit, and feel they must resort to putting down the opposition? When people act like that, it usually means they are not really confident enough in their own position to simply state how they feel and let it be. As if they don't think their own position is strong enough to stand on it's own merit. A position is actually more convincing if you stick to facts, and point out where other posts deviate from facts.

I know there are many on this planet who have a genuine love in their heart for fellow humans. I know they exist because I find examples of it constantly. Sadly, there are also some who are filled with rage and frustration. They are just looking for someone to direct it towards. When we enable one another to do that to us, we perpetuate the grief and hatred. I am not going to do that.

All we have to do is find that love in our hearts for humankind and look for it. It is out there. It is inside all of us. We are intelligent beings, but we are creatures of habit. We Americans have some bad habits. Lately one of them is being mean to others on the internet. Very similar to being mean, dangerous, and overly aggressive as drivers, something which has existed long before the internet, but something which has become worse over time. I have to chuckle when I think that some of our worst posters here post like some of our worst drivers drive, but it's sadly true.

Habits can be changed if you try hard enough. That is a very powerful lesson in life. Do your habits control you? Or do you control your habits... Any habit can be changed or established by simply consciously acting differently for a period of 2-3 weeks. After that time period, it becomes second nature. Then you don't have to think about it, it just comes naturally. It is your new habit. Very powerful for self-improvement.

If you are not proud of your habits, and there is a small part of you, a nagging feeling, that it is not right? Listen to that. You can change your habits. Let it begin with enjoying a mutually respectful and long lasting exchange of ideas with me. You never have to worry that I am going to tell you off. I don't do that. I argue on the basis of merit. If you can do that too I believe you will find your credibility will be very high.

Welcome to a new era at JPP. Let that begin with me, and with you. Thanks for listening; thanks for being kind. Be kind to yourself; be kind to others.

Let's have some fun learning, exchanging ideas, and finding out what makes the other side tick as we get better informed and better able to be responsible citizens!

Sounds like a decent policy. Is it working? I may adopt something like that, though maybe not as stringent.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck For This Post:

evince (10-10-2019), PoliTalker (10-10-2019)

5. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

6. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Chuck (10-10-2019)

7. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome Chuck,

You sound like decent person. Our views are not aligned, so we should be able to have some interesting discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Sounds like a decent policy. Is it working? I may adopt something like that, though maybe not as stringent.
    It has been working fabulously. I have zero problems with trolls. Anybody mouths off at me, they only get to do that once. My visits are informative and enjoyable. A large Ignore list does result in a bit of scrolling through Ignored Post food fights, but that goes pretty quickly. I'd rather do that than waste my time reading drivel.

You are quite welcome to copy my PIP. Use any part of it. Make it your own. The more people making posts of substance, skipping past garbage, going directly to other posts of substance, the better the forum gets. Since it is a wide open board it is only logical it would attract trolls who have been kicked out of other forums. No reason to placate them by responding. Better to just filter that out.

I see no point in wasting my time with people who only wish to talk AT me, but for those who relish an interesting debate, I enjoy hearing different views, exploring reasoning behind them. I am here to learn why other people hold their views, and to simply stay current with what's going on. I sometimes spend chunks of time researching what I am going to post, so that contributes to my learning. Always a student.

8. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It occurs to me that I must be saying stirring stuff because I get so many people on my Ignore List, who know darn well I will never respond to them, and they keep quoting me and have something to say about it anyway.

Message to Ignored people:

You're talking to a brick wall.

SMH

9. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-11-2019)

10. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Message to blowhard with an inflated sense of self:

No one gives a flying fuck about you or your feewings.

Get over yourself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-11-2019)

12. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Message to blowhard with an inflated sense of self:

No one gives a flying fuck about you or your feewings.

Get over yourself.
    "Blowhard",interesting name
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

13. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the good posters here who make this place such a rewarding experience.

You are wonderful.

I appreciate everyone who responds to discussions in a cordial way so that we can all further our learning and stay well informed.

I learn so much because of you. I never expected that.

I only began chatting politics online because I was driving people crazy at work, wanting to comment on this or that political news. Most Americans are not very well informed. Many get quite bothered by it if you begin a political conversation. Some can become quite angry; and that's sad. I sometimes wonder if their anger is a defensive method of making up for their own lack of political awareness. It is as if you are reminding them that they are shirking their American responsibility as loyal patriots to the cause of self-rule. Perhaps you are reminding them in a way that they feel some guilt over their apathy of not rising to the cause, being selfish, letting others carry on the work of making America great.

I realized I was going to mess up a good job if I kept that up. I needed an outlet. THAT was what drove me to go online to search out others who were willing to talk about politics.

And it is fabulous to find people who can do that without losing their cool and going off on people for no good reason. And it doesn't matter if you are liberal or conservative. There are good and bad people on both sides of the isle.

So thank you. You, the good posters, are the reason I come here. You make JPP great.

14. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    they MUST be faced down

people read these sites and DONT post

I know its hard to believe but its true

these type sites are a gold mine of information about what Americans think

they have to be shamed

there is only one way to do it

with all the tools of mankind

that includes invective and humor
    You wouldnt know a tool of mankind if it jumped up and bit your pecker off.

15. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello everybody,

I want to thank the many of you who have accepted me as your friend, and who appreciate polite academic discussions.

You've made this Forum a cherished habit, and it's just fabulous to have this outlet and to see your comments.

During Social Distancing, this Forum represents more social contact than I'm getting elsewhere, so it is especially appreciated now.

I do try to make it a point to call people up, so I get to interface socially that way, but this is so easy, I do this more than calling people.

And it's great, thanks to you, and I appreciate it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (05-21-2020), Phantasmal (05-21-2020)

17. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,745 Times in 33,616 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello everybody,

I want to thank the many of you who have accepted me as your friend, and who appreciate polite academic discussions.

You've made this Forum a cherished habit, and it's just fabulous to have this outlet and to see your comments.

During Social Distancing, this Forum represents more social contact than I'm getting elsewhere, so it is especially appreciated now.

I do try to make it a point to call people up, so I get to interface socially that way, but this is so easy, I do this more than calling people.

And it's great, thanks to you, and I appreciate it.
    You’re so nice, your presence has brightened the forum for me, thanks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-21-2020)

19. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    You’re so nice, your presence has brightened the forum for me, thanks.
    Right on. Thank you VERY much. My pleasure. It seemed more caustic when I arrived. I hope I have been able to draw out the more contemplative side of a few.

Because the gem of this place, for me, is not just the learning and getting informed, but learning what makes the other side tick. That just makes me feel all the more justified in my own views. I see conservative views and their motives, and then I look at my own, and I get a feeling that my views stand for the greater good. A society organizes it's own government to take care of itself. It is only logical that government has social programs. Conservatives almost always look at the situation in terms of what it means to THEM. I'm saying I am part of this society, and I know everyone else is too, so let's do things that are good for society, and then I will in turn benefit my share of that. That just seems more logical than just thinking of what things mean to me. That's a value that can WORK.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-21-2020)

21. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 Times in 7,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Poli, you are a stand-up man who remains benevolent or civil no matter who or what attacks you personally.

I admire that.

But, sometimes, and this is one of them, you have to fight fire with fire.

Last night, Nancy Pelosi was on the "The Final Word" on MsNBC and said that DOnald Trump and his minions have Doggy Doo on the soles of their shoes. That was about the most eloquent way to tell the truth and not use profanity at the same time.

Me! I'm not afraid to tell it like it is in words that these Trumptards well understand.

If it smells like SHIT- and it Stinks like SHIT- and it looks like SHIT- IT IS SHIT!

And Donald Trump and his Trumptards are not just wearing SHIT on their Shoes- THEY ARE LITERALLY SWIMMING AND DROWNING IN SHIT!

Sorry, but someone has to tell the whole truth- and nothing but the truth! SO HELP ME GOD!

22. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Poli, you are a stand-up man who remains benevolent or civil no matter who or what attacks you personally.

I admire that.

But, sometimes, and this is one of them, you have to fight fire with fire.

Last night, Nancy Pelosi was on the "The Final Word" on MsNBC and said that DOnald Trump and his minions have Doggy Doo on the soles of their shoes. That was about the most eloquent way to tell the truth and not use profanity at the same time.

Me! I'm not afraid to tell it like it is in words that these Trumptards well understand.

If it smells like SHIT- and it Stinks like SHIT- and it looks like SHIT- IT IS SHIT!

And Donald Trump and his Trumptards are not just wearing SHIT on their Shoes- THEY ARE LITERALLY SWIMMING AND DROWNING IN SHIT!

Sorry, but someone has to tell the whole truth- and nothing but the truth! SO HELP ME GOD!
    you think that's great oratory and reason?

you,sir, are a blithering moron.