Members banned from this thread: PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Ralph, countryboy and The Ugly Truth

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings Good Posters. Anybody up for Civl Discourse of Politics?

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,747 Times in 33,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    He also said that assassination should be a viable option. You know Canadians. They like ketchup flavored potato chips.
    I love them, too, they are amazing, like fries with ketchup or catsup

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Controlled Opposition,

That's illegal. Illegalities are never a viable option.

If he said 'death penalty' that's a different thing.

If he said 'death penalty' and you made it 'assassination' then you are putting spin on it.

Careful with words. Words have a lot of power. Remember: The pen is mightier than the sword.

Or, to bring that into current context, the keyboard is mightier than the assault rifle.
    His word was, "assassination." EDIT to add: I note that you mentioned assassination being illegal, but said nothing about being immoral.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I love them, too, they are amazing, like fries with ketchup or catsup
    OMG!

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Controlled Opposition,

His word was, "assassination."
    I don't support that.

EDIT to add: I note that you mentioned assassination being illegal, but said nothing about being immoral.
    Should go without saying. Of course I agree it is immoral.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (12-13-2018)

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

OMG!
    My family always bring me a bag when they go to Canada. Old Dutch are the best.

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    My family always bring me a bag when they go to Canada. Old Dutch are the best.
    I googled it. Pricey. Bon appetite.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4h6rpkynb1_e

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

Phantasmal (12-13-2018)

9. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I googled it. Pricey. Bon appetite.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_4h6rpkynb1_e
    That’s why you don’t buy them on Amazon, you ask your Canadian family to bring them back. It’s a rare treat!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (12-13-2018)

11. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Happy New Year 2019.

Let's have a good year of political debate.

I extend an open invitation for all to join in civil discourse.

I also invite anyone who enjoys civil discourse, and does not want to get into petty flame wars, to adopt my PIP.

Here is my PIP:

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Flame on me, mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you go on my PERMANENT Ignore List. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I won't participate in your threads, you will be banned from mine. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: if you like my PIP, feel free to use it. It works well.

I have found, after nearly a year on the site, that my PIP works extremely well. I do not have to put up with harassment. Obviously, anybody can blindside you and make unprovoked personal attacks. But they can only do that to me once. After that, they are placed on my Ignore List, and that breaks the loop. If I were to let it go, and not place trolls on Ignore, that is tacit approval that they can continue. My PIP effectively shuts down online abuse. I neither accept nor tolerate online abuse. My posting experience here is very serene and cerebral. I talk about the issues, events and ideas.

If most posters were to adopt my PIP, or a similar method, trolling would be marginalized. We only have to put up with what we put up with. 'Everybody' is not flaming on people. You don't have to do that to try to fit in. It is not required to 'fit in' around here. You are free to be an individual. Know that you are under no obligation to 'be tough,' or do anything you don't really enjoy. The ability to 'take it' is worthless, has no value, gets you no respect. There is no respect for being disrespectful or tolerating it. You don't have to be mean, hateful or 'tough.' It is OK to share your true feelings. It is OK to just be you. If you are not really a mean person, you don't have to come across like one in chat rooms.

This Forum is what we the posters make it.

We can have a trashy forum, or we can clean it up.

I like clean.

If you like clean, please feel free to join me.

Also, if there is anyone who shares a desire to improve the civility of the forum, and wishes to become one of my many friends, please PM me and let's make it official.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello good people,

This is a reminder that I mean what I say. My rules are more strict than the site rules. I am into civil discourse, not petty name-calling.

New additions to my permanent Ignore List and Thread Ban List are tinfoil and RB 60. They have both become the most recent examples that I really do mean exactly what I say.

I will miss the better part of both, but I refuse to be dumped on. tinfoil will be especially missed, as that poster was on my friends list. But as I have made very clear, nobody is immune. tinfoil really tried. I made a plea and asked him in a PM to back off on me. He apologized and said he would. But after some time, he found he couldn't do it. When discussing a political subject, called me a 'retard.' RB 60 replied to one of my threads and ranted about 'you chickenshit libtards.'

I made it clear I am not going to just look the other way at that stuff. My farewell reply to RB 60:

"I have made it absolutely clear that if you go off on me, you go on my permanent Ignore list. No exceptions.

I am perfectly happy to discuss politics with anyone who can do so with mutual respect, in the manner of civil discourse

Your reply is not it.

I enjoy hearing the political thoughts of conservatives who can voice them while showing * simple * common * decency. It is not too much to ask. There is a reason disrespect is not allowed in Congress - they would never get anything done. It's conversation poison.

I am interested in hearing why you believe the things you do, as long as you have valid reasons for favoring the policy you would like to see. Hatred is not a valid reason. Hatred is wrong. Telling somebody off, calling them a bunch of names, that's not discussing politics. That is a line crossed. Once you begin with the name-calling you are not longer discussing politics; you are then simply unloading frustrations and stress. I refuse to be your punching bag. Not gonna do that.

If I were to allow people to do this and continue to talk to them, then I become their enabler for online abuse.

Anybody can tell me off once. That's on you. And that is my warning that if I DON'T immediately place you on permanent Ignore, then I am tacitly saying that is OK with me, that I will be your enabler for you to abuse me. Not gonna happen. This is where it has to be shut down.

I do hope you have a good life, RB 60. I have no malice. I don't think you are a bad person. I don't hate you at all. I simply don't want you in my life any more. You lost it and went off on me. You challenged me to make good on my word. I do make good on my word. I am trustworthy. I put it out there in my PIP that I would do this to anybody who goes off on me. You challenged my PIP. Nobody is immune. I have my standards and you crossed the line. I refuse to lower my standards, or make any exceptions.

You are now Ignored and thread banned. You are no longer allowed to talk to me or comment in my threads. You can talk AT me all you like. Usually, people in your position are prompted to have a rant about how unreasonable I am being. Knock yourself out. You may as well be talking to a brick wall. I won't read it. I think you are the one who was unreasonable by expecting me to indulge in an insult contest instead of a political discussion. I came here to talk about just plain politics. Pardon me. I don't get the part of that which means politics + flames.

I don't know why you bothered to even include any discussion about the subject. Did you think I was going to reply to a single word you said if it is mixed with such hatred and vitriol? Well, if you did, you are sadly mistaken. Not only will I not reply to what you said, I'll go ya one more. I'll never reply to another word you say again. *Ever* You just became the latest example that I mean what I say.

Note to all: Anyone who wishes to address me and enter into a discussion should take note. I do not reply to people who say things like "you chickenshit libtards." I am not going to call you anything like that. I am not going to stereotype all conservatives. I think everyone is an individual. If you are an individual who can talk about the issues facing our nation and do so respectfully, then I will be happy to discuss any political subject at length. Bring it on. I want what is best for the USA, for the world, for humanity. I am interested in hearing your views on how to solve the problems of the world.

I don't think that needs to involve hate. Hatred is wrong. Humans have not progressed through hatred. Hatred is moving backwards. Hatred causes wars and destruction. We didn't get what we have by taking it away from other people. We have become advanced by building things, by learning, by developing new science, by working together. Name-calling is not working together.

Good luck in the rest of your life. If your political positions require a punching bag, I hope you find one. I ain't it. Good bye forever. "

13. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello proponents of civil discourse,

You are the gems who make this place worth while.

Everybody who is on my Ignore List is there for a reason - they have all shown callous disrespect.

My Ignore List is public - simply look at the Thread Ban List of my most recent thread. It is the same list.

For anyone who wishes to discuss politics with civility and mutual respect, and also wishes to filter out those who don't, you are totally free to copy my Thread Ban List.

The List is regularly updated as required, so I would encourage you to find my most recent Thread for the most recent version, but this how it stands today:

Anarchon; Arminius; AssHatZombie; Bigdog; Bobb; BodyDouble; Boris The Animal; CFM; CharacterAssassin; coolzone; countryboy; Dark Soul; DonaldvoTrumpovich; Earl; Enlightened One; Evmetro; Getin the ring; gomer; Granule; Grumpy; Havana Moon; Howard Wolowitz; I Love America; Into the Night; Irish; katzgar; Legion; Life is Golden; lisasanders1964; Loving91390; LV426; PostmodernProphet; PraiseKek; RB 60; Ralph; rhym3pays; Sailor; SmarterthanYou; Superfreak; Teflon Don; The Ugly Truth; tinfoil; Tkaffen; Tommatthews; Truth Detector; TTQ64; USFREEDOM911; Vasquezrocks; volsrock; Wolverine; Yurt; zymurgy

14. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have changed my PIP.

I previously used my Ignore List as a thread ban list for nearly every thread I created. That has changed. I no longer do that.

Having a large thread ban list resulted in many posters being left out of those discussions. That was nice for me, and for people who appreciate subject-based discussions over insult-based discussions, but it was too frustrating for the ones who were left out. I enjoyed not having to scroll through page after page of Ignored poster place holders, and not having the tone of a discussion marred by petty disrespect and incivility. This created a problem because the banned posters would create copy-cat threads which made the main page confusing and the discussions became duplicated and difficult to follow.

So I have been experimenting with not using the thread ban feature.

It is not ideal, as the tone of the conversations often gets ugly, which is detrimental, but nobody can expect idealism. Ideal is merely a best case possible situation which is almost never realistically achieved. It provides something to strive for which has to be compromised in order to deal with reality. Approaching idealism requires more rules and updated rule making.

I now view the thread ban feature as useless unless it were accompanied with a level of moderation which would prevent copy-cat threads.

The reason our government is set up to allow constant modification of rules is because people find ways around rules. It is only logical that any set of rules faces the same challenge. JPP is no different.

Please bear with me on my threads as we accommodate those who don't necessarily want to take part in a civil manner, but also don't want to be left out.

I can only offer my wise advice as to how to deal with trolls.

Don't respond to trolls. Don't encourage them. Don't engage with them. The best way to deal with trolls is to simply place everybody who talks down to you on Ignore. The more people who do that, the less of a problem trolls would be.

The more popular and accepted the Ignore feature becomes, the less of a problem trolling becomes.

It is up to we the good people who want a good Forum to make it what we want.

We all have the power to do that.

Don't have any concern for putting too many people on Ignore. I can tell you from personal experience it is entirely possible to have a very rewarding posting experience with a large Ignore List. I've been building mine for over a year and it has worked out fabulously.

Enjoy!

15. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

OK, let's try this again. I posted here when I joined this site eight days ago. I posted that I was a conservative looking to connect with like-minded people on here. I was immediately attacked. NOT a nice welcoming, to say the least. So let's forget about all that political crap, at least for this post. I was born in Chicago, Illinois. Raised in Chicago suburbs and the Valparaiso, Indiana area. Moved to Phoenix, Arizona in 1977, stayed there over 30 years. I got tired of big city living, moved back here in Valparaiso in 2010. I love it here, can't see EVER going back to Arizona. I'm of Dutch, Italian, Irish and English descent. My father, who passed away recently, had a saying, "If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much". I've worked in many fields, including working in a library (my favorite work), I worked in an animal shelter for about 7 years. That was rewarding, but sometimes sad, work. I worked in group homes for the mentally challenged for about 6 years. I moved back here to Valparaiso to get away from the big city living but also to be here with my sister and mother. After my mother passed away very unexpectedly in October of 2013, my sister took it very badly. She and my mother were good friends as well as daughter-mother. My sister gradually took more and more opioids until they almost killed her. I took an early retirement to take care of her for about a year. She recovered and is doing much better now. I have many interests other than politics. They including reading, (I need to get back to the two books I'm currently reading.) collecting and listening to primarily classic rock and blues CD's. I love to play trivia. I play on Sporcle.com, I play on a live trivia team each Tuesday evening and I play Buzztime trivia at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. It's a lot of fun and I occasionally win money or bar credit. I've never married, I came close once. No children that I know of. I enjoy life each and every moment. Well, that's all for now. I've probably revealed a bit too much about myself, but that's OK. Some on this site wanted to know a bit about me. I've got NOTHING to hide.

16. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 611 Times in 582 Posts

Zzzzz
    Tie Your 'roo down Mate

17. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts