Members banned from this thread: PostmodernProphet, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, Ralph, countryboy and The Ugly Truth

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings Good Posters. Anybody up for Civl Discourse of Politics?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 400 Times in 363 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello and goodbye coolzone,

You can call me anything you want, one time. That is my queue to place you on permanent Ignore.

I've made it quite clear I prefer to filter out rude posters, in order to create a refined experience here.

The civil approach totally works. I am enjoying very cordial and cerebral discussions here with some excellent minds. Great discussions. I have zero problem participating in high quality discussions because there are so many people who are able to express themselves bereft of invective. It's a common decency thing.

This approach also works well with socks. You are free to go create another personality and try again. But your new sock only gets one chance to tell me off. Then it, too, will be placed on Ignore. We can play that game as many times as you like. Doesn't matter to me whether some new handle which comes and insults me is the same person or a new one. The response will be the same.

I have found in life that people who use a lot of expletives and insults are not very happy, but those who find no need of such stress are.

The secret of life is enjoying time.

You only have so much time to be alive, so it is logical to seek to enjoy as much of it as possible.

I derive no pleasure from making others feel bad, which is the point of insults. That strikes me as a deplorable sort of pleasure, because it always has to come at someone else's expense. I don't need to make others feel poorly in order for me to be happy. I view that as a shallow and false happiness. Fleeting, for sure. And there is an inner guilt associated with it which must be ignored in order to pretend one is of clear conscience. That is going to cause subconscious stress, whether the individual admits it or not. Almost as if, in order to disrespect someone else, one must first disrespect oneself.

I just don't see the point of inviting that stress into one's life. There will be plenty, despite whatever attempt is made to minimize it. I just don't want to play that game. I enjoy being informed, talking about things that matter, learning what I can do to improve my country. Making America great, one life at a time, one moment at a time.

Putin wants us to be unhappy, angry at one another, hopelessly polarized, unable to unite or get anything meaningful done. So far, he is getting his way.

What we Americans need to do is believe that we are better than that. We need to believe that we can respect one another, that we can be more united, that we can listen to one another even if we disagree. We need to remind ourselves that we determine the course of our nation, we set the bar for what America looks like on the world stage. Not Putin. We do.

We need to guide our nation forward, show the world what we are made of.

I am leading by example. I believe my method is more noble than yours.

My words are not diminished by insults. Instead, they stand out: because of them. My words thus carry more weight than yours. My positions are based on facts, logic and compassion. They show that civility can be maintained even among loyal Americans who disagree. We can disagree and still be united. Too bad you blew it and we can't have any further discussion about this.

Have a nice life.
    What would you do if I posted a video? Would you stand up and walk out on me? I am a music head. every word reminds me of a song.
    TRUMP SUCKS. TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS! TRUMP SUCKS!
    ​The worst name you can call trump is trump. be best PIP LUTZ
    I come in peace! YO MAMA SHOULD KNOW UH HUH!

PIMP DADDY STFU>YURT Come Closer

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    Talking from experience.....
    Since you didn't add a question mark I'm assuming you just made a declarative comment. See how that works? btw, a dream song for you.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

You're such a cute personality Mason.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-27-2018)

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Politalker is a phony. She likes to insult people while claiming she is against insulting.
    Behave yourself yaya or I will have to put you in your cage. You don't want me to do that, do you? Then, STFU.

6. The Following User Groans At Oracle Of JPP 714 For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-25-2018)

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UnkaRitche View Post
    Behave yourself yaya or I will have to put you in your cage. You don't want me to do that, do you? Then, STFU.
    Oh, you naughty tease

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-25-2018)

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

you'd fuck up a wet dream, lol.
    It's priceless to see ILA so irritated, especially by someone just giving him what he gives.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-23-2018)

11. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    It's priceless to see ILA so irritated, especially by someone just giving him what he gives.
    Do you ever talk directly to someone or just always hide and then talk about them?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-25-2018), TOP (04-26-2018)

13. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 5,217 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,477 Times in 2,299 Posts

you'd fuck up a wet dream, lol.

Look at my new puppy following me around the board starved for my attention.

14. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello UnkaRitche,

Hello and goodbye coolzone,

You can call me anything you want, one time. That is my queue to place you on permanent Ignore.

I've made it quite clear I prefer to filter out rude posters, in order to create a refined experience here.

The civil approach totally works. I am enjoying very cordial and cerebral discussions here with some excellent minds. Great discussions. I have zero problem participating in high quality discussions because there are so many people who are able to express themselves bereft of invective. It's a common decency thing.

This approach also works well with socks. You are free to go create another personality and try again. But your new sock only gets one chance to tell me off. Then it, too, will be placed on Ignore. We can play that game as many times as you like. Doesn't matter to me whether some new handle which comes and insults me is the same person or a new one. The response will be the same.

I have found in life that people who use a lot of expletives and insults are not very happy, but those who find no need of such stress are.

The secret of life is enjoying time.

You only have so much time to be alive, so it is logical to seek to enjoy as much of it as possible.

I derive no pleasure from making others feel bad, which is the point of insults. That strikes me as a deplorable sort of pleasure, because it always has to come at someone else's expense. I don't need to make others feel poorly in order for me to be happy. I view that as a shallow and false happiness. Fleeting, for sure. And there is an inner guilt associated with it which must be ignored in order to pretend one is of clear conscience. That is going to cause subconscious stress, whether the individual admits it or not. Almost as if, in order to disrespect someone else, one must first disrespect oneself.

I just don't see the point of inviting that stress into one's life. There will be plenty, despite whatever attempt is made to minimize it. I just don't want to play that game. I enjoy being informed, talking about things that matter, learning what I can do to improve my country. Making America great, one life at a time, one moment at a time.

Putin wants us to be unhappy, angry at one another, hopelessly polarized, unable to unite or get anything meaningful done. So far, he is getting his way.

What we Americans need to do is believe that we are better than that. We need to believe that we can respect one another, that we can be more united, that we can listen to one another even if we disagree. We need to remind ourselves that we determine the course of our nation, we set the bar for what America looks like on the world stage. Not Putin. We do.

We need to guide our nation forward, show the world what we are made of.

I am leading by example. I believe my method is more noble than yours.

My words are not diminished by insults. Instead, they stand out: because of them. My words thus carry more weight than yours. My positions are based on facts, logic and compassion. They show that civility can be maintained even among loyal Americans who disagree. We can disagree and still be united. Too bad you blew it and we can't have any further discussion about this.

Have a nice life.
    Sorry. I would do anything for love but I can't do that. I'm a full blown attention whore and rwnut stalker/trawler/troller.
    I understand. The transcendence above tit for tat is daunting.

But I would say it is well worthwhile.

I think I am correct about this because I have done it both ways.

Long ago and far away on a different board I once mixed it up with anybody at any level. I had some of the most vile things to say about President George W Bush. I could not stand that man. I unloaded on anyone who would defend him.

A rather remarkable conservative poster took me aside and told me my words would be more effective if I dropped the mean streak and simply focused on the issues.

His words struck me.

I decided to try it.

I think he was right.

Since I don't get into the personal stuff I am forced to put more effort into my posts, do more research, learn more. I am better informed, and better able to argue issues. I now feel like if I were to go back to the shallow name-calling insult contests that I would be lowering myself to President Trump's level. I couldn't respect myself if I did that.

You don't sound like you are ready for that kind of transcendence.

You like music, so do I.

Here is a powerful song that comes to mind:

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-24-2018), TOP (04-26-2018)

16. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello UnkaRitche,

I understand. The transcendence above tit for tat is daunting.

But I would say it is well worthwhile.

I think I am correct about this because I have done it both ways.

Long ago and far away on a different board I once mixed it up with anybody at any level. I had some of the most vile things to say about President George W Bush. I could not stand that man. I unloaded on anyone who would defend him.

A rather remarkable conservative poster took me aside and told me my words would be more effective if I dropped the mean streak and simply focused on the issues.

His words struck me.

I decided to try it.

I think he was right.

Since I don't get into the personal stuff I am forced to put more effort into my posts, do more research, learn more. I am better informed, and better able to argue issues. I now feel like if I were to go back to the shallow name-calling insult contests that I would be lowering myself to President Trump's level. I couldn't respect myself if I did that.

You don't sound like you are ready for that kind of transcendence.

You like music, so do I.

Here is a powerful song that comes to mind:

cool beans. love the dixie chicks. I remember when they were demonized by the rwnuts.

17. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

UnkaRitche,

cool beans. love the dixie chicks. I remember when they were demonized by the rwnuts.
    I like Star Trek, too.

The Dixie Chicks are still quite popular. Conservative country fans tried to kill their stardom but were unable to do that. The Dixie Chicks are just too well liked, and their music resonates with too many people.

The Dixie Chicks just completed a world tour in 2016, including many shows in the USA.

Rough estimate is that they earned over $45 million in USA shows alone.

Wikipedia: DCX MMXVI World Tour
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-24-2018)

19. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

20. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Threedee,

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    FYI, this is what everyone on JPP thinks of civil debate:

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...ge-name-of-APP
    No, I'm not seeing that. Everyone? No. Several? Yes.

It's funny how many people have tried to tell me that nobody is civil here, but I keep managing to have lots of civil discussions every time I visit. Actually, even after filtering out everybody who has flamed on me, there is still way more than I can keep up with here.

I really enjoy having conversations that talk about issues and don't get personal. It's fabulous. And I learn so much. I come here to talk about politics, not enter an insult-fest. Some seem to be so insecure in their beliefs that they have to personally attack others who do not share them. That's really kind of weird and ridiculous. Pretty immature. There sure are a lot of folks who could develop more wisdom out there. I have no control over them. I can do nothing for them except to set an example of how to intellectually discuss politics. I'm really glad and thankful for the many here who are able to leave the trash talk out of it to respectfully discuss ideas and events. If it were not for the good ones, I would not be here.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Oracle Of JPP 714 (04-26-2018)

22. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    FYI, this is what everyone on JPP thinks of civil debate:

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...ge-name-of-APP
    Is that good or bad? Just wondering.

23. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Talking from experience.....
    I suppose.