Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Boris The Animal, J Craft, CFM, Cancel 2018.2, chink, PraiseKek, TOP, Eagle_Eye, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews and Rob Larrikin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: According to science, gun-humpers have feelings of inadequecy

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,690 Times in 27,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Real scientists would smirk at calling sociology science.
    The opinion of an obscure message boarder with seemingly no relevant academic or scholarly qualifications is irrelevant and inconsequential

Society at large has decided that economics, anthropology, history, sociology, psychology, linguistics, geography - social sciences all - are relevant and important areas of research and study for the benefit of human knowledge.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

We have a name for this sort of science where I come from: HOGWASH

The left is becoming so predictable. Say “science” backs something ... from when life begins to sodomites and some never found gene to AGW ... now to this. Jiminy Christmas what a bunch of junk. They’ve even hijacked the Earth Day celebration making it about resisting Trump somehow And people are noticing this pattern too.

Propagandists always have their eyes on science. Because science occupies such an exalted place in our collective psyche, we must forever be watchful of attempts by political lobbies to seize and control what is put out before the public in the name of science.

http://www.opindia.com/2017/08/after...-kill-science/

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 3,123 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 266 Times in 254 Posts

Better than having Hoplophobia .

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    It's known as a "soft science"
    Yes, or "social science." They use scientific methods but must use very subjective terms when operationalizing their concepts. How do you write a question that really measures whether a person has feelings of inadequacy? There are ways to check validity and reliability, but Social Science Quarterly is a mid-level journal.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

Yes, or "social science." They use scientific methods but must use very subjective terms when operationalizing their concepts. How do you write a question that really measures whether a person has feelings of inadequacy? There are ways to check validity and reliability, but Social Science Quarterly is a mid-level journal.
    this is farce science. the real people pray for an opening of understanding. I pray that eyes will be opened and understanding be granted by grace. Lord have mercy-
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The opinion of an obscure message boarder with seemingly no relevant academic or scholarly qualifications is irrelevant and inconsequential

Society at large has decided that economics, anthropology, history, sociology, psychology, linguistics, geography - social sciences all - are relevant and important areas of research and study for the benefit of human knowledge.
    Relevant and useful yes, but "science" no. What society at large has determined is not the same as what other scientists and academics believe. Even many of those in social science do not consider it a real science--it does not meet many of the standards of scientific inquiry. That is based on many observations from 40 years of college teaching. But my main point was not that it is not useful, but a very partisan field like sociology with preconceived views is not very creditable. But, because it is what many already believe, it is published (and currently very fashionable). I have heard many academics express those views for years before this was published.

They also say men who dislike gays are really latent homosexuals. They actually did a study and attached electrodes to male genitals and found stimulation when shown pictures of nude males. Critics countered by saying young males became stimulated by anything and proved it with pictures of dead kittens.....

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by iewitness View Post
    this is farce science. the real people pray for an opening of understanding. I pray that eyes will be opened and understanding be granted by grace. Lord have mercy-
    I wouldn't say "farce", but it is difficult to explore very broad questions. They do a much better job at smaller level studies, but it is often irrelevant. I think the best work is on polling that does a good job of testing public opinion at one point in time assuming the questions are carefully written with a representative sample.

Many claim polling was a failure in the 2016 election, but the average of the final polls found 46% Hillary v. 44% Trump. The actual result was 48% Hillary v. 46% Trump. Well within the 3% margin of error. The poll does a national popular vote, not electoral college result.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

I wouldn't say "farce", but it is difficult to explore very broad questions. They do a much better job at smaller level studies, but it is often irrelevant. I think the best work is on polling that does a good job of testing public opinion at one point in time assuming the questions are carefully written with a representative sample.

Many claim polling was a failure in the 2016 election, but the average of the final polls found 46% Hillary v. 44% Trump. The actual result was 48% Hillary v. 46% Trump. Well within the 3% margin of error. The poll does a national popular vote, not electoral college result.
    you're an idiot. I will not waste more time.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,690 Times in 27,330 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post

Here is a useful, relevant, and topical contribution to human knowledge from the social sciences.

No link between violent video games and adult aggression

The long-term impact of violent video games on people has always been a matter of debate. A new research, conducted by the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and the University Clinic Hamburg-Eppendorf in Germany, revealed playing violent video games for prolonged periods does not make adults more aggressive.

The paper, which was published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, is the first-ever study to examine the long-term effects of such video games. The paper acknowledges the growing concern in American society that such pastimes "may promote aggression or reduce empathy in its players is pervasive and given the popularity of these games their psychological impact is an urgent issue for society at large."

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/no-...lt-aggression/
    I never look down my nose at any legitimate endeavor to expand human knowledge and conduct scholarly inquiry.

I am not a liberal arts or social sciences major, but I appreciate history, anthropology, art, theater, law, sociology, psychology, philosophy, et al.
    That's just me. Other people get off on binge watching Judge Judy, Reality TV shows, and amassing unnecessary quantities of firepower.
    Last edited by Cypress; 03-15-2018 at 11:53 PM.

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

my guns make me complete. I pity the fool that would attempt to degrade my completeness. that is my human right. that is my life, librerty and pursuit of happiness. I pity the fool... by the way; "science" is dead. all that is left is fake science theory hackery.
    Do guns replace your dick or your brains?

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

you're an idiot. I will not waste more time.
    Insults always begin when posters have nothing substantive left to say.