Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: THE GREAT "I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK" THREAD.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Default THE GREAT "I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK" THREAD.

Credit to Ugly Truth's "Best way to kill time" thread: https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...y-to-kill-time

While posting there, it became apparent that "reading" was a favorite of many people. So...here is a thread devoted to recommending books you've read...and commenting on 'em.

I'm going to start with one of my all time favorites...James Clavell's Shogun.

Damocles mentioned that he has read it several times...and I have read it twice. (It is that kind of book.)

So...what else have we got?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not much into books, I tend to prefer my own story lines. I don't write though, but I do have a vivid imagination to entertain myself. The stuff I entertain myself with are on the lines of manga style stories, or like that Divergent series stuff. If I could write who knows if it would go anywhere.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    I'm not much into books, I tend to prefer my own story lines. I don't write though, but I do have a vivid imagination to entertain myself. The stuff I entertain myself with are on the lines of manga style stories, or like that Divergent series stuff. If I could write who knows if it would go anywhere.
    Give it a try, JD. You might be better at it than you think. And...practice makes perfect.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK here goes ---

Try
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    Starship Troopers
    Time Enough for Love

All by Robert Heinlein. He writes SciFi but its different scifi. He mainly writes about people in a different place and time but about people and how they interact with each other.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress ---- the moon has been turned into a penal colony like Australia was. They decide they want to be free. Discusses the philosophy of what it means to be free..... One passage ---- they were looking at possible forms of government if they win..... "look at all forms that have been used on arth and discard them - they all failed".. This book also coined the phrase TANSTAAFL (there aint no such thing as a free lunch). In other words nothing is free even if the govt says it is. Someone always pays for it.

Starship Troopers --- they made a movie based on this book. The movie completely missed the point of the book. The book explores the realtionship we have with our govt and vice versa. What do yo owe your govt and what does it owe you.... Remember TANSTAAFL.....

Time Enough for Love -- a man was born about 1910 and lived for over 4,000 years. Goes into how he lived and so forth and what he learned. Great book ---- it will make you think for a fact.....

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Credit to Ugly Truth's "Best way to kill time" thread: https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...y-to-kill-time

While posting there, it became apparent that "reading" was a favorite of many people. So...here is a thread devoted to recommending books you've read...and commenting on 'em.

I'm going to start with one of my all time favorites...James Clavell's Shogun.

Damocles mentioned that he has read it several times...and I have read it twice. (It is that kind of book.)

So...what else have we got?
    Currently on book three of The Stormlight Archive, Oathbringer, by Brandon Sanderson. Great stuff if you like epic high fantasy.
    Every life matters

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by flyboyut View Post
    OK here goes ---

Try
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
    Starship Troopers
    Time Enough for Love

All by Robert Heinlein. He writes SciFi but its different scifi. He mainly writes about people in a different place and time but about people and how they interact with each other.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress ---- the moon has been turned into a penal colony like Australia was. They decide they want to be free. Discusses the philosophy of what it means to be free..... One passage ---- they were looking at possible forms of government if they win..... "look at all forms that have been used on arth and discard them - they all failed".. This book also coined the phrase TANSTAAFL (there aint no such thing as a free lunch). In other words nothing is free even if the govt says it is. Someone always pays for it.

Starship Troopers --- they made a movie based on this book. The movie completely missed the point of the book. The book explores the realtionship we have with our govt and vice versa. What do yo owe your govt and what does it owe you.... Remember TANSTAAFL.....

Time Enough for Love -- a man was born about 1910 and lived for over 4,000 years. Goes into how he lived and so forth and what he learned. Great book ---- it will make you think for a fact.....
    By first sci fi novel (I used to devour the short story anthologies) was Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land...still one of the greatest sci fi novels ever.

I just read Children of Time, by Adrien Tchaikovsky. Truly a fine novel...and the kind of novel a Heinlein fan would enjoy.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Currently on book three of The Stormlight Archive, Oathbringer, by Brandon Sanderson. Great stuff if you like epic high fantasy.
    I don't do much fantasy...but I should really give it a try. I'll keep this one in mind.

I'm currently reading The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr...a follow up to The Alienist.

I spend lots of time in New York City...so these books are must read. They tell the history of the Big Apple...in a tight murder mystery.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I don't do much fantasy...but I should really give it a try. I'll keep this one in mind.

I'm currently reading The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr...a follow up to The Alienist.

I spend lots of time in New York City...so these books are must read. They tell the history of the Big Apple...in a tight murder mystery.
    Nice, I like murder mystery/detective novels. One of my favorite series is the J.P. Beaumont series by JA Jance. It takes place in and around Seattle.
    Every life matters

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hey does anyone here like novels about the days of wooden ships and iron men?

There is a series by Alexander Kent ( real name Douglas Reeman) on a Brit Naval officer from about 1780 or so until after the death of Napoleon. Great bunch of books - 28 of them. I have them all and have read them multiple times. They are called the Bolitho series.

Good books. The first time I read them I only took about 2 hours per book. Subsequent reading I slowed down and took 4-6 hours per book to read. Great series. More about the people involved than the ships or battles or other things. He writes like Robert Heinlein - about people and not the extraneous stuff

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is a series by Alexander Kent ( real name Douglas Reeman) on a Brit Naval officer from about 1780 or so until after the death of Napoleon. Great bunch of books - 28 of them. I have them all and have read them multiple times. They are called the Bolitho series.

Good books. The first time I read them I only took about 2 hours per book. Subsequent reading I slowed down and took 4-6 hours per book to read. Great series. More about the people involved than the ships or battles or other things. He writes like Robert Heinlein - about people and not the extraneous stuff
    I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

Heinlein was one of my favorite authors; Valentine Michael Smith one of my favorite fictional characters.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

TANSTAAFL Frank

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

TANSTAAFL Frank
    Okay, but wrong thread.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    If not fiction, then there's always nonfiction. I recommend any history by David McCullough.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (04-22-2018)

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

I really like Michael Connelly's books.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to christiefan915 For This Post:

Phantasmal (04-08-2018)

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Voyage – a Novel of 1896” by Sterling Hayden

A hefty tome that's well worth the read.