Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Manafort could face 'rest of life in prison,' judge says

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    13,655
    Thanks
    1,428
    Thanked 8,111 Times in 5,011 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 155 Times in 141 Posts

    Cool Manafort could face 'rest of life in prison,' judge says

    Paul Manafort, the former Trump campaign chairman, runs a significant risk of spending the rest of his life in prison and the evidence against him by special counsel Robert Mueller’s office seems strong, a federal judge declared in an order made public on Tuesday.

    U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III, who is based in Alexandria, Virginia, and is assigned to a newly filed indictment against Manafort dealing with bank fraud and tax evasion, said the veteran lobbyist and political consultant posed “a substantial risk of flight” because of his assets and the gravity of his legal predicament.

    “The defendant is a person of great wealth who has the financial means and international connections to flee and remain at large, as well as every incentive to do so,” Ellis wrote in an order setting the terms of what the judge called “home incarceration” for Manafort, 68, who lives in Alexandria but also has homes in Florida and on Long Island.

    “Given the nature of the charges against the defendant and the apparent weight of the evidence against him, defendant faces the very real possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison,” wrote Ellis, an appointee of President Ronald Reagan.

    Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-prison-460302


    Donald J Trump as of November 29th, 2018; has been named as a Conspirator to a CRIME - Individual One (1)

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

    Leonthecat (03-13-2018), PoliTalker (03-16-2018), signalmankenneth (03-13-2018), ThatOwlWoman (03-14-2018)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    12,131
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 5,927 Times in 4,007 Posts
    Groans
    2,442
    Groaned 1,245 Times in 1,161 Posts

    Default

    He is 68, so 20 years should do the trick. Although he would likely go to a prison country club. Closer it gets, the more likely he will turn on Trump.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

    kudzu (03-13-2018), signalmankenneth (03-13-2018), ThatOwlWoman (03-14-2018)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    15,227
    Thanks
    7,266
    Thanked 6,637 Times in 4,525 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 347 Times in 342 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    These guys make Gordon Geko look like a choirboy.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

    christiefan915 (03-13-2018)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    103,732
    Thanks
    24,965
    Thanked 15,332 Times in 12,007 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 9,740 Times in 9,072 Posts

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

    Bourbon (03-14-2018), Cypress (03-13-2018), ThatOwlWoman (03-14-2018)

  9. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    16,301
    Thanks
    8,930
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

    Default

    Manafart would flip on his own grandmother before he spends his life in prison.
    Mueller is on the job.

    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

    rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leonthecat For This Post:

    christiefan915 (03-13-2018), evince (03-14-2018), kudzu (03-13-2018)

  11. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    70,754
    Thanks
    3,128
    Thanked 15,205 Times in 12,718 Posts
    Groans
    1,647
    Groaned 1,926 Times in 1,823 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    He is 68, so 20 years should do the trick. Although he would likely go to a prison country club. Closer it gets, the more likely he will turn on Trump.
    problem is, he has nothing to offer against Trump.....

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    Truth Detector (03-15-2018)

  13. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    16,301
    Thanks
    8,930
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    problem is, he has nothing to offer against Trump.....
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

    rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

  14. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    12,131
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 5,927 Times in 4,007 Posts
    Groans
    2,442
    Groaned 1,245 Times in 1,161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    problem is, he has nothing to offer against Trump.....
    How would you know? Manafort was deep into Russian money laundering. He has that in common with Trump. That according to Bannon.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

    kudzu (03-14-2018)

  16. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    70,754
    Thanks
    3,128
    Thanked 15,205 Times in 12,718 Posts
    Groans
    1,647
    Groaned 1,926 Times in 1,823 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    How would you know? Manafort was deep into Russian money laundering. He has that in common with Trump. That according to Bannon.
    do you think your fantasies are enough to convict Trump?.....

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    Truth Detector (03-15-2018)

  18. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22,054
    Thanks
    6,755
    Thanked 8,458 Times in 4,198 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 370 Times in 361 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
    Paul Manafort, the former Trump campaign chairman, runs a significant risk of spending the rest of his life in prison and the evidence against him by special counsel Robert Mueller’s office seems strong, a federal judge declared in an order made public on Tuesday.

    U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III, who is based in Alexandria, Virginia, and is assigned to a newly filed indictment against Manafort dealing with bank fraud and tax evasion, said the veteran lobbyist and political consultant posed “a substantial risk of flight” because of his assets and the gravity of his legal predicament.

    “The defendant is a person of great wealth who has the financial means and international connections to flee and remain at large, as well as every incentive to do so,” Ellis wrote in an order setting the terms of what the judge called “home incarceration” for Manafort, 68, who lives in Alexandria but also has homes in Florida and on Long Island.

    “Given the nature of the charges against the defendant and the apparent weight of the evidence against him, defendant faces the very real possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison,” wrote Ellis, an appointee of President Ronald Reagan.

    Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-prison-460302


    Trump sure seems to surrounds himself, and hire, a lot of criminals.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    kudzu (03-14-2018), PoliTalker (03-16-2018)

  20. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    12,131
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 5,927 Times in 4,007 Posts
    Groans
    2,442
    Groaned 1,245 Times in 1,161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    do you think your fantasies are enough to convict Trump?.....
    Not mine. Bannons. You know he is as right as you are, don't you? Trump put the Russian banker as head of commerce. Ross was the president of Cyprus bank that was the Russian oligarchs money laundering bank, I don't know if trump will be convicted of anything. Neither do you. Not fantasies. There is plenty to start with. Lets fix it all. Trump can release his taxes. Can you guess why he did not?

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

    kudzu (03-14-2018), ThatOwlWoman (03-14-2018)

  22. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    70,754
    Thanks
    3,128
    Thanked 15,205 Times in 12,718 Posts
    Groans
    1,647
    Groaned 1,926 Times in 1,823 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Can you guess why he did not?
    You seem to be doing fine with your guesses and imagination.......I'll stick to facts and we can compare notes in 2024......

  23. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    15,227
    Thanks
    7,266
    Thanked 6,637 Times in 4,525 Posts
    Groans
    85
    Groaned 347 Times in 342 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Trump sure seems to surrounds himself, and hire, a lot of criminals.
    Yep. Manafort was also living in Trump Tower, NYC.......

  24. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    12,387
    Thanks
    26,911
    Thanked 9,748 Times in 6,035 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 552 Times in 538 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Trump sure seems to surrounds himself, and hire, a lot of criminals.
    When that's all you know........

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

    Cypress (03-14-2018), PoliTalker (03-16-2018)

  26. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    13,655
    Thanks
    1,428
    Thanked 8,111 Times in 5,011 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 155 Times in 141 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    problem is, he has nothing to offer against Trump.....

    So you know this first hand ... right?
    Donald J Trump as of November 29th, 2018; has been named as a Conspirator to a CRIME - Individual One (1)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2017, 09:23 AM
  2. MY LIFE AFTER 44 YEARS IN PRISON
    By Havana Moon in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2016, 03:04 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2016, 12:50 PM
  4. Life in prison for hash?
    By Rune in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 08:11 PM
  5. Life in prison for weed?
    By Rune in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •