Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Capitalism Has Destroyed / Is Destroying American Family Values

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Destruction of unions? You mean like giving people a choice if they want to join a union or not? Why is giving people a choice a bad thing?
    They get the benefits that a union provides and don't have to pay dues. If they have that option, people like you would opt out and enjoy union protections for free..Unions fought and won all the benefits that you think you deserve, paid vacations, healthcare, worker protections, safer work conditions and ability to fight arbitrary bosses. and lots more. Unions created the middle class that was once so strong. Now that unions are getting beaten, the middle class is fading way.Why do you think corporations beat and killed union organizers? Sport? As unions go, so go the workers.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Destruction of unions? You mean like giving people a choice if they want to join a union or not? Why is giving people a choice a bad thing?
    They get the benefits that a union provides and don't have to pay dues. If they have that option, people like you would opt out and enjoy union protections for free..Unions fought and won all the benefits that you think you deserve, paid vacations, healthcare, worker protections, safer work conditions and ability to fight arbitrary bosses. and lots more. Unions created the middle class that was once so strong. Now that unions are getting beaten, the middle class is fading way.Why do you think corporations beat and killed union organizers? Sport? As unions go, so go the workers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Frank Apisa (03-14-2018)

4. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Technology and globalization have changed corporate America forever. People don't come to the Silicon Valley and say they want to join a union, they come wanting stock options. Unions served their purpose but in our dynamic economy they don't play a role like they used to. Again, times change. People also tend not to work their entire career for one company anymore either. You're stuck in the past if you think we can get back to '1960's level private sector union membership

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Exactly

The demise of unions is a huge part of the problem faced by workers.

But even strong unions will not protect workers from the coming slaughter...at the hands of technology.

I know...I know...there will be those claiming I am crying wolf!

I'm not.

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Exactly

But even strong unions will not protect workers from the coming slaughter...at the hands of technology.

I'm not.
    Hello Frank,

It's true. AI is going to give the owners of industry the chance to purchase a single machine which will replace many workers. The machine will work 24-7-365 with no meal breaks or sleep required. It has no personal concerns, no family, never takes a vacation, and never gets sick. Then there will be another machine which will service the first machine, giving it everything it needs to keep right on cranking out product. Still more machines will procure and bring materials. More will take finished product, inspect it and pack it into packaging ready for consumers. Computer bots will handle sales transactions and generate purchase orders, sell orders, generate reports. There really isn't going to be much in the way of human labor required.

Our current capitalism model would have this occur without any consideration for what happens to the ex workers. The owners of capital would simply make machine purchases instead of hire American or anybody else. But this will quickly break the economy because there will be insufficient demand for products, because too few potential workers will have much income. Presumably, under the current system they would be on the dole, which pretty much only rewards childbirth while punishing not having children.

Since the above can't work, something is going to have to change.

Telling people they just need to try harder to find work and they should have better family values is not going to solve it either.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Frank Apisa (03-14-2018)

8. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,763 Times in 27,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Idiot! No one deregulated NAFTA.....Mr. Trump has opened "renegotiations" and put an end to the one sided agreement that moved US Jobs to Mexico. Other nations like China, Twain, etc., witnessed how the US "rolled over" when Sam Walton bought himself a US Presidency......and began to stick it to the US with their CHEAP KNOCKOFF exports via theft and trade imbalances. Damn what a "denier" and "enabler" of more idiocy. The latest left wing pieces of work to be disassembled by a Successful Businessman who knows how to WIN......Mr. Trump was the Iran Obama Muslim Brotherhood Deal where Obama sent Billions to Iran for NOTHING....but support for more terrorism, and of course He withdrew form the Transpacific Partnership. And He has pulled the teeth of a rouge run away fascist branch of Government that dictates NEW economic laws without ever seeing REPRESENTATION.....the EPA.

Are you suggesting that Sam Walton did not negotiate with Communist China? Strange how Wal-Marts popped up all over Asia. While Bill Clinton was US PRESIDENT. In 1996 Walmart flooded communist China with Sam Walton stores. There are now a total of 443 Stores in China. 406 SUPER WALMARTS 18 Hypermarts and 19 SAMS CLUBS. Again....you are an idiot and a liar based upon the amount of left wing kool aid you drink. Must we wonder just what kind of DEAL Clinton/Walton made with China (how much cheap flea market knockoff crap must Walton take back to the US)?

Trump has nothing to do with the 3+% GDP, Millions of New high paying industrial jobs coming back to the US.....OBAMA DID IT, he just weighted 8 years before he implemented his well timed economic boom? Those acts of DEREGULATIONS are the engine driving this new, less intrusive economy.

go back and read what the poster posted that I was responding to

9. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    you just proved you have no idea what you are talking about

your idiots deregulate every asshole

North America free trade agreement

that had nothing to do with china you idiot
    this was my 118 post

this was what I was responding to

Originally Posted by Ralph
    Walmart? Flea Market crapola? US flags made in China or Shoes made in communist sweatshops by 8 year olds endorsed by the NBA...etc.? It was the Collusion with Big Government (Bill and Hillary Clinton, and Sam Walton) that purchased the NAFTA deal that resulted in Cheap Knock Off imitations of Name Brand goods that has resulted in the one sided trade imbalance where the American Workers are paying the price for your cheap left wing products.

10. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

North American Free Trade Agreement

that did not include China huh

Walmart did not sell Chinese goods due to NAFTA huh

you on the right babble speak instead of using facts

11. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Frank,

It's true. AI is going to give the owners of industry the chance to purchase a single machine which will replace many workers. The machine will work 24-7-365 with no meal breaks or sleep required. It has no personal concerns, no family, never takes a vacation, and never gets sick. Then there will be another machine which will service the first machine, giving it everything it needs to keep right on cranking out product. Still more machines will procure and bring materials. More will take finished product, inspect it and pack it into packaging ready for consumers. Computer bots will handle sales transactions and generate purchase orders, sell orders, generate reports. There really isn't going to be much in the way of human labor required.

Our current capitalism model would have this occur without any consideration for what happens to the ex workers. The owners of capital would simply make machine purchases instead of hire American or anybody else. But this will quickly break the economy because there will be insufficient demand for products, because too few potential workers will have much income. Presumably, under the current system they would be on the dole, which pretty much only rewards childbirth while punishing not having children.

Since the above can't work, something is going to have to change.

Telling people they just need to try harder to find work and they should have better family values is not going to solve it either.
    hello Politalker,

what is your solution to this situation?

12. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Exactly

I'm not.
    if treated as a freeing element for mankind we could create a wonderful world

IF the sociopathic among us are not allowed to act on their emotional needs to see others suffer

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

if treated as a freeing element for mankind we could create a wonderful world

IF the sociopathic among us are not allowed to act on their emotional needs to see others suffer
    No doubt, Evince.

The introduction of smart machines means that humans do not have to work so hard...the machines can do much of what has to be done. They are willing slaves to relieve us of the hard work.

And what do we do?

We turn it into a menace for humankind...mostly because of the sociopathic behavior of some of humanity.

We are turning one of the greatest things to ever happen to the human race...

...into one of the worst things to ever happen.

Makes ya wonder if we should stop looking for intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy...and see if we can find any here on Earth.

14. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

we need NOT allow sociopaths to run things anymore

CEOs are not who we should look to for leadership

the idea of the CEO president didn't turn out so well huh

maybe no other idiot well ever think its a good idea again

guess whos idea it was in the first place

some sociopathic CEOs

one more right wing meme is dead

15. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

a very small work week in hours

a guaranteed income that is a living wage

guaranteed health care

creative freedom for mankind

right now the growing sectors are the service industries

maintaining mankinds comfort

that is the future

idiots will hate it because they need to see people suffer to feel worthy

16. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sentences fragment

Sentence fragment

Sentence fragement

17. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

hello Politalker,

what is your solution to this situation?
    Hi evince,

Well, the problem of AI displacing far more jobs than it creates is going to crash the economy and bankrupt the nation under the current system, so something does have to change. I believe that change is going to be something which will enrage some conservatives, but they'll just have to get over it, because it is inevitable.

It won't just be the USA, but we need to be one of the first to implement the fix, because we are advanced, and the problem will strike here early.

The solution is to tax the super-rich more and have a Universal Basic Income provided by the government for doing absolutely nothing.

Oh, conservatives will fight it tooth and nail, but their old established norms are not going to cut it in the world after AI. There just are not going to be enough jobs for everyone. How close are we to having driverless delivery vehicles? Imagine all the US Postal carriers, UPS drivers, Fedex drivers, OTR truck drivers, all of them out of work within a few year period of time. The economy just can't absorb that many unemployed. And that will only be the beginning, just the tip of the layoff iceberg. Our economic system will crash. But we are not going to let that happen. We are going to institute the Universal Basic Income.

https://Basic Income -Wiki
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.