Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 396

Thread: Capitalism Has Destroyed / Is Destroying American Family Values

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    5,053
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,546 Times in 1,396 Posts

    Default Capitalism Has Destroyed / Is Destroying American Family Values

    American families are clearly on the decline. Divorce rates and out-of-wedlock child birth rates are up. Capitalism has played a crucial role in this evolution.

    Decades ago, it took just one income to support a family. That included a 40 hour week, full health care, vacations, savings and retirement. Unions won most of those family-enhancing struggles. This represented a bit of a loss for capitalism as many of those family-beneficial victories came at the expense of additional profits for the richest.

    But capitalism relentlessly seeks to maximize the profitability of any situation. A war on unions and worker rights was the response from capitalism to all those family-enhancing detriments to profitability. Good jobs with family-supporting benefits have routinely been downsized, offshored, mechanized, computerized, and broken into several part time positions with no benefits.

    The traditional male/female roles where he works, brings home the bacon, and she is the home maker have now been relegated to the rich who can afford nannies, cooks, gardeners, etc.

    Family values have become luxuries only affordable to the rich. Capitalism is the culprit.

    Clearly, in order to make America great again, families are going to need something more than empty words of support.

    Capitalism is a wonderful and powerful wealth-generating tool, but it is also dangerous to American family values. The lesson is apparent: Capitalism must be balanced with the proper amount of socialism. Capitalism is like a powerful engine. The engine of capitalism, without socialism as a governor, and left to run at wide open throttle, is bound to blow up. Our challenge is not a choice between capitalism and socialism, it is clearly one of how to blend the two.

    Our young nation is at a point where we are falling behind the other older nations which have already figured this out. It is now time for us to accept this challenge and show that we can do it better.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

    Frank Apisa (03-13-2018)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    121,731
    Thanks
    34,042
    Thanked 19,722 Times in 15,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 16,305 Times in 15,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    capitalism is a beautiful and freedom creating plan

    its all about being fettered correctly


    well fettered capitalism is an intrigal part of freedom


    don't be a fool

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

    iolo (03-13-2018)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    121,731
    Thanks
    34,042
    Thanked 19,722 Times in 15,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 16,305 Times in 15,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    5,053
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,546 Times in 1,396 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    regulated


    the republican party wants NO REGULATIONS on caplitalism


    there is no doubt the founders were fine with regulations
    Hello evince,

    Both parties are highly hypocritical. Republicans are far too idealistic about family values to realize that their support of unfettered capitalism is precisely what is tearing American families apart.

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    121,731
    Thanks
    34,042
    Thanked 19,722 Times in 15,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 16,305 Times in 15,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    121,731
    Thanks
    34,042
    Thanked 19,722 Times in 15,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 16,305 Times in 15,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    The Democratic party is fighting the republican party at every turn



    how the fuck is you try and BLAME both parties


    I m sooooo sick of the right fucking everything up and then trying to force the blame onto the WHOLE system


    Including the Democratic party who STOPS them over and over again.


    The Democratic party is the HERO


    without us the assholes would already own us

  9. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    53,278
    Thanks
    3,311
    Thanked 15,747 Times in 10,911 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 595 Times in 562 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    American families are clearly on the decline. Divorce rates and out-of-wedlock child birth rates are up. Capitalism has played a crucial role in this evolution.

    Decades ago, it took just one income to support a family. That included a 40 hour week, full health care, vacations, savings and retirement. Unions won most of those family-enhancing struggles. This represented a bit of a loss for capitalism as many of those family-beneficial victories came at the expense of additional profits for the richest.

    But capitalism relentlessly seeks to maximize the profitability of any situation. A war on unions and worker rights was the response from capitalism to all those family-enhancing detriments to profitability. Good jobs with family-supporting benefits have routinely been downsized, offshored, mechanized, computerized, and broken into several part time positions with no benefits.

    The traditional male/female roles where he works, brings home the bacon, and she is the home maker have now been relegated to the rich who can afford nannies, cooks, gardeners, etc.

    Family values have become luxuries only affordable to the rich. Capitalism is the culprit.

    Clearly, in order to make America great again, families are going to need something more than empty words of support.

    Capitalism is a wonderful and powerful wealth-generating tool, but it is also dangerous to American family values. The lesson is apparent: Capitalism must be balanced with the proper amount of socialism. Capitalism is like a powerful engine. The engine of capitalism, without socialism as a governor, and left to run at wide open throttle, is bound to blow up. Our challenge is not a choice between capitalism and socialism, it is clearly one of how to blend the two.

    Our young nation is at a point where we are falling behind the other older nations which have already figured this out. It is now time for us to accept this challenge and show that we can do it better.
    Capitalism is responsible for technological advancement and globalization. Any ideas or suggestions on how we can reverse them?

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

    Truth Detector (03-14-2018)

  11. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    53,278
    Thanks
    3,311
    Thanked 15,747 Times in 10,911 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 595 Times in 562 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello evince,

    Both parties are highly hypocritical. Republicans are far too idealistic about family values to realize that their support of unfettered capitalism is precisely what is tearing American families apart.
    What unfettered capitalism do Republicans support?

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

    Truth Detector (03-14-2018)

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    5,053
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,546 Times in 1,396 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    What unfettered capitalism do Republicans support?
    Hello cawacko,

    Republicans support the right of powerful corporations to suppress worker rights, thus making life difficult for workers. This leads to monetary and time pressure on stressed families, which respond by breaking up.

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    12,547
    Thanks
    6,248
    Thanked 5,901 Times in 3,766 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 454 Times in 437 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    American families are clearly on the decline. Divorce rates and out-of-wedlock child birth rates are up. Capitalism has played a crucial role in this evolution.

    Decades ago, it took just one income to support a family. That included a 40 hour week, full health care, vacations, savings and retirement. Unions won most of those family-enhancing struggles. This represented a bit of a loss for capitalism as many of those family-beneficial victories came at the expense of additional profits for the richest.

    But capitalism relentlessly seeks to maximize the profitability of any situation. A war on unions and worker rights was the response from capitalism to all those family-enhancing detriments to profitability. Good jobs with family-supporting benefits have routinely been downsized, offshored, mechanized, computerized, and broken into several part time positions with no benefits.

    The traditional male/female roles where he works, brings home the bacon, and she is the home maker have now been relegated to the rich who can afford nannies, cooks, gardeners, etc.

    Family values have become luxuries only affordable to the rich. Capitalism is the culprit.

    Clearly, in order to make America great again, families are going to need something more than empty words of support.

    Capitalism is a wonderful and powerful wealth-generating tool, but it is also dangerous to American family values. The lesson is apparent: Capitalism must be balanced with the proper amount of socialism. Capitalism is like a powerful engine. The engine of capitalism, without socialism as a governor, and left to run at wide open throttle, is bound to blow up. Our challenge is not a choice between capitalism and socialism, it is clearly one of how to blend the two.

    Our young nation is at a point where we are falling behind the other older nations which have already figured this out. It is now time for us to accept this challenge and show that we can do it better.
    I am a capitalist...but unfettered, capitalism is recipe for a society of "the elite" and "the serfs."

    American conservatism seems unable or unwilling to understand that...and certainly is unwilling to acknowledge it.

    MY GUESS: Conversion to what we need from what we have...will not be a peaceful thing. We will be dragged kicking and screaming into what almost all of the rest of the world already realizes.

    But we will get there...one way or the other.

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    121,731
    Thanks
    34,042
    Thanked 19,722 Times in 15,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 16,305 Times in 15,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    121,731
    Thanks
    34,042
    Thanked 19,722 Times in 15,353 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 16,305 Times in 15,111 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    we should not tolerate assholes blaming the Democratic party for the republican parties crimes


    it proves this new guy is not what he claims

  17. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    53,278
    Thanks
    3,311
    Thanked 15,747 Times in 10,911 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 595 Times in 562 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

    Republicans support the right of powerful corporations to suppress worker rights, thus making life difficult for workers. This leads to monetary and time pressure on stressed families, which respond by breaking up.
    Can you offer an example?

  18. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    5,053
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,546 Times in 1,396 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Can you offer an example?
    Hello cawacko,

    Plentiful instances exist. Do you deny that Republicans take the side of corporate leadership over worker rights? Who supports ALEC?

  19. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,212
    Thanks
    5,053
    Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,546 Times in 1,396 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I am a capitalist...but unfettered, capitalism is recipe for a society of "the elite" and "the serfs."

    American conservatism seems unable or unwilling to understand that...and certainly is unwilling to acknowledge it.

    MY GUESS: Conversion to what we need from what we have...will not be a peaceful thing. We will be dragged kicking and screaming into what almost all of the rest of the world already realizes.

    But we will get there...one way or the other.
    Hello Frank,

    I am a social capitalist. I love capitalism, but recognize the downside. Capitalism is not perfect. This imperfection is what leads to extreme wealth inequality. Capitalism has no interest in an enduring American society or in promoting American family values. We need to inject some socialism into our capitalism to get that. I agree it will be messy to transcend from the now to a brighter future.

    Conservatives often say the underadvantaged are to be blamed for their own condition, and they can extricate themselves from misery by simply working harder. The problem with that reasoning is that not everyone can be CEO. Life has to be good for the worker on the line as well. Many in power agree with this, but sadly many do not.

    It is the difference between win/win philosophy and win/lose. Sadly, our President believes in win/lose dealing. He thinks every deal has a winner and a loser, and he aims to always be the winner. He is wrong. America doesn't need to be first all the time. Humanity does. The environment does. Ideals do. Our current leadership is making the problem worse, not better. A bump in the road over the course of American history. Considerate people will reject the President's leadership and adhere to the values which will make American families great again.

Similar Threads

  1. So now America loses a First Family that epitomizes family values,
    By archives in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 01-10-2017, 07:53 PM
  2. Another day---Another family destroyed
    By ZappasGuitar in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM
  3. Family Values
    By Cancel7 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
  4. Family Values
    By Cypress in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 02:46 PM
  5. Family Values
    By Cypress in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •