Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Student Loan Debt

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    He had damn near five years to do it. Why didn't he do it? Your excuse should be interesting to read.
    I don't have any excuses. I simply pointed out that even Obama wanted lower corporate tax rates. I just stated a fact. You are reading things into posts that are not there.

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I don't have any excuses. I simply pointed out that even Obama wanted lower corporate tax rates. I just stated a fact. You are reading things into posts that are not there.
    You haven't explained why he didn't do something you say he wanted to do while having 5 years to do it with a Congress that favored such a thing.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    In the name of saving keystrokes, and time, I'll ask if you believe that a large group of college educated wealthy people who crashed the economy ten years ago should have been put in jail?
    Hello Althea,

Anyone who has committed high crimes and misdemeanors should be tried, and if found guilty, should face the punishment the court rules. White collar crimes are largely overlooked, and that is a sham. I suspect many who knowingly drove the economy into the ditch for personal gain should face prosecution but crony capitalism prevents it.

You are ascribing values to those who have wealth via academics, in the same broad manner that you ascribe negative attributes to those who may or may not have attained wealth, but didn't attend college.
    Incorrect. I am making no judgements. All I did was recognize the statistics of college-educated vs non college-educated. You've incorrectly changed that into wealthy vs non wealthy.

If we're studying data, then we should mention that wealthy, typically white people avoid prison solely due to access to better legal representation.
    Agreed. And there is more to it than ability to hire better lawyers. Since disproportionate numbers of poor are black, while disproportionate numbers of rich are white, our justice outcomes have racial implications. Studies have shown that for similar crimes and representation, blacks are more likely to do time than whites.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You haven't explained why he didn't do something you say he wanted to do while having 5 years to do it with a Congress that favored such a thing.
    I don't have an explanation and I don't care. I was just reporting the news showing there was a lot of support for cutting corporate taxes. If you are interested try Google.com

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    It isn't. This only focuses on the negative: the losses of tuition loan forgiveness. The gains (the success stories you are not mentioning) outweigh the losses.
    The positives and success stories (of the 50% of college loan borrowers who graduated) come from their better jobs and education. They are getting the benefits currently. Those benefits are possible because of those loans, now they are repaying them which they should be willing to do in return for those benefits.

It is now estimated a person with a bachelor's degree earns $1 million more than a person without a degree. If I had to borrow $28,000 (average) to make $1 million, I would be happy to repay that loan. I know a cardiologist who is repaying his loan and has a $2 million house (for sale).

You argued that the rich should pay higher taxes. More of those with college degrees fall into the top income brackets, why should we excuse their debt and turn around and increase their taxes? Giving money to the government through income taxes or loan repayments is no different.

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Flash,

The positives and success stories (of the 50% of college loan borrowers who graduated) come from their better jobs and education. They are getting the benefits currently. Those benefits are possible because of those loans, now they are repaying them which they should be willing to do in return for those benefits.
    This overlooks the benefits to society. These people are job creators.

Giving money to the government through income taxes or loan repayments is no different.
    That is incorrect. As your math clearly indicates, a loan repayment is capped. Higher taxes on the rich continue to generate revenue for as long as they maintain high income. Therefore, paying money to the government through income taxes is potentially worth far more than paying money to the government for loan repayments.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

I don't have an explanation and I don't care. I was just reporting the news showing there was a lot of support for cutting corporate taxes. If you are interested try Google.com
    You mean you can't provide one and want to try and cover for your inability to do so.

I'm interested in the one that mentioned it explaining it. That was you, not Google.

8. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You mean you can't provide one and want to try and cover for your inability to do so.

I'm interested in the one that mentioned it explaining it. That was you, not Google.
    I already said I don't have an explanation; but again, you miss the point. If even a Democratic president favored cutting corporate taxes then it had wider support than just Republicans.

Do you have an explanation? If not, then we both have an inability to explain it but I admitted it from the beginning.

You claimed many baby boomers are dying every day. Do you have an explanation for that or were you just stating an obvious fact?

9. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This overlooks the benefits to society. These people are job creators.
    Yes, those who attended/graduated from college are job creators because they do most of the consumer spending because they are in the upper income categories. The top 20% do 39% of consumer spending and the 4th quintile do 22.5%. The top 40% do 61.5% of consumer spending. Increasing their taxes reduces consumer spending by those who account for most of the consumer spending. [BLS].

That is incorrect. As your math clearly indicates, a loan repayment is capped. Higher taxes on the rich continue to generate revenue for as long as they maintain high income. Therefore, paying money to the government through income taxes is potentially worth far more than paying money to the government for loan repayments.
    If they are going to generate revenue as long as they maintain high income and they already do over 60% of consumer spending, why do we want to eliminate their debt? It seems like they are doing fine already. Most of them are repaying their loans while doing most of the nation's consumer spending.

10. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Hello Althea,

Anyone who has committed high crimes and misdemeanors should be tried, and if found guilty, should face the punishment the court rules. White collar crimes are largely overlooked, and that is a sham. I suspect many who knowingly drove the economy into the ditch for personal gain should face prosecution but crony capitalism prevents it.
    This seems to negate some of the claims in an earlier post of yours. See below. Higher education does not necessarily guarantee 'preferable' qualities. It seems to guarantee that one demographic is more apt to get away with crimes. Much bigger, more damaging to society type crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker
    I don't limit/assign positive qualities only to those who hold college degrees. I never said that. I simply said that colleges produce better citizens than high schools do. Simply put, they make more money. They contribute more to the GDP. They pay more taxes. They create more jobs. Do they have better morals? That's debatable. I would suspect so, but the difference may not be very great. But they are less likely to get into trouble because at that level, more money makes life much easier with less stress. The more education one has, the less likely they are to be a smoker. They have more, so they don't want to get into trouble and risk losing what they have. And they are not as stressed by money issues and debt. That's all I meant. It's nothing about virtue. It's about statistics. From and economic point of view, and a criminal one, citizens with those qualities are preferable for a nation to have.

Incorrect. I am making no judgements. All I did was recognize the statistics of college-educated vs non college-educated. You've incorrectly changed that into wealthy vs non wealthy.
    See bolded above.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[PoliTalk] "Anyone who has committed high crimes and misdemeanors should be tried, and if found guilty, should face the punishment the court rules. White collar crimes are largely overlooked, and that is a sham. I suspect many who knowingly drove the economy into the ditch for personal gain should face prosecution but crony capitalism prevents it."

"White-collar defendants are having a tough time of proving their innocence at trial, if they even get that far. Most federal criminal cases (some estimate at 97%) are settled with guilty plea agreements. Of those that go to trial, over 90% result in convictions. For those of you who have followed Operation Perfect Hedge, the Southern District of New York's crack down on insider trading, it has resulted in a perfect record of convictions for all defendants that have dared to go to trial."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterp.../#70810eec590a

12. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

Was it Bernie Sanders that advocated essentially extending "free" public education an extra two years, from 12 to Associate's Degree?

When the K - 12 standard was first established, a high school education was enough for a majority of citizens to live viable lives.

BUT !!

It's a new millennium, and a different world. A high school education is no longer enough without some specialized training.

Would our society benefit from revising this obsolete K - 12 standard?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

13. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Was it Bernie Sanders that advocated essentially extending "free" public education an extra two years, from 12 to Associate's Degree?

When the K - 12 standard was first established, a high school education was enough for a majority of citizens to live viable lives.

BUT !!

It's a new millennium, and a different world. A high school education is no longer enough without some specialized training.

Would our society benefit from revising this obsolete K - 12 standard?
    Less than 50% of high school graduates and drop-outs go to college--few of those because they cannot afford it. There is no benefit in making students go an additional two years when they are not motivated to do so. Even many students who do attend college drop out because of lack of interest, goals--only 50% graduate. A better solution is using high school to learn some vocational skills. They can always attend college later if they choose to do so. We are reluctant to do that now because we are accused of discrimination if more lower income students are steered into vocational education.