Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ABOUT CAPITAL PUNISHMENT!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Default ABOUT CAPITAL PUNISHMENT!

With this post, I’m probably going to veer away from the political positions of some of the people with whom I have been shoulder to shoulder up until now. My feelings about capital punishment are closer to the American conservative position than to the positions of people more to the left.

I see nothing significantly wrong or unethical about capital punishment…and see it to be significantly more ethical than most of what is considered its alternative.

I certainly think capital punishment is less cruel and unusual than a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. But let me expand on that thought, because my regard of this area of the issue goes beyond that...to considerations many people find uncomfortable or objectionable.

It my personal opinion that the maximum sentence for ANY crime…should be ten year or less. Anything that requires imprisonment for more than ten years…should be a capital offense.

I think we should perform executions in as humane a way as possible…no matter the circumstances that resulted in a death sentence. If the government has to set up labs to manufacture the drugs necessary for a humane execution by lethal injection…we should do it.

Any thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Truth Detector (02-28-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    With this post, I’m probably going to veer away from the political positions of some of the people with whom I have been shoulder to shoulder up until now. My feelings about capital punishment are closer to the American conservative position than to the positions of people more to the left.

I see nothing significantly wrong or unethical about capital punishment…and see it to be significantly more ethical than most of what is considered its alternative.

I certainly think capital punishment is less cruel and unusual than a sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. But let me expand on that thought, because my regard of this area of the issue goes beyond that...to considerations many people find uncomfortable or objectionable.

It my personal opinion that the maximum sentence for ANY crime…should be ten year or less. Anything that requires imprisonment for more than ten years…should be a capital offense.

I think we should perform executions in as humane a way as possible…no matter the circumstances that resulted in a death sentence. If the government has to set up labs to manufacture the drugs necessary for a humane execution by lethal injection…we should do it.

Any thoughts?
    If you have a perfect justice system not influenced by racism and comparative wealth, education and the like. Do you have such a system? Have you confidence in the ability of your judges?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

if you want the REAL CONSERVATIVE position on this one its for no death penalty.

MONEY

it costs less to house someone for life than it is to oft them

because we have a wonderful constitution that allows reasonable appeals

those court costs make it more expensive per prisoner.

so if you want the perp to NOT COST THE PEOPLE MORE COSTS

lock them away for life

also encourage them to be organ donors

no perks for it

no forcing it

just keep offering it to them all the time

imagine how you might feel if you are a victim of the perp and you realize a mother of two has her life saved by an organ like that ?

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    If you have a perfect justice system not influenced by racism and comparative wealth, education and the like. Do you have such a system? Have you confidence in the ability of your judges?
    yes that one is the one I most site

you cant ever make the mistake if NO ONE if oft.

but there is money and things like blood and organs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

iolo (02-26-2018)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No system is perfect. EVERY judge has biases...or at least I hope so, because every intelligent individual has biases.

No matter what...my personal preference would be that no one ever languish in prison for longer than 10 years...which itself seems like too long.

I expect that judges will do the best job they can...as will teachers, mechanics, police officers, military personnel, and all the rest of humanity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    if you want the REAL CONSERVATIVE position on this one its for no death penalty.

MONEY

it costs less to house someone for life than it is to oft them

because we have a wonderful constitution that allows reasonable appeals

those court costs make it more expensive per prisoner.

so if you want the perp to NOT COST THE PEOPLE MORE COSTS

lock them away for life

also encourage them to be organ donors

no perks for it

no forcing it

just keep offering it to them all the time

imagine how you might feel if you are a victim of the perp and you realize a mother of two has her life saved by an organ like that ?
    Cost should not be factored in.

Locking someone away for life is barbaric.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

and killing them isn't

how about the cavot that the prisoner can request to die at any point

UNLESS the victims loved ones other wise chose at sentancing

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh and cost is a burden on the people

its not just money

its forcing the people to pay which increases the effect of the perps crime

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

No system is perfect. EVERY judge has biases...or at least I hope so, because every intelligent individual has biases.

No matter what...my personal preference would be that no one ever languish in prison for longer than 10 years...which itself seems like too long.

I expect that judges will do the best job they can...as will teachers, mechanics, police officers, military personnel, and all the rest of humanity.
    No - nothing is perfect, and we've had too many instances here of people being hanged to please prejudice to want to support such nonsense. If Americans lack conscieces, we don't.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iolo For This Post:

evince (02-26-2018)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Capital punishment at best serves as a minimal deterrent, most murders are spontaneous, and in those cases few are thinking about deterrentence.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

evince (02-26-2018)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

The "Death Penalty" should at all times be an option held by those who govern. It should be exercised anytime innocent blood is spilled in a premeditated fashion. There can be no truly civilized society without the death penalty. As no government should bear the sword "IN VAIN" and only threaten to engage the ultimate form of justice. When one is found guilty, not on circumstantial evidence, but on the eyewitness testimony of 3 or more people who witnessed the event charged, or when the defendant pledges guilty......the sentence should be carried out immediately. Only the cases where guilt is concluded based upon circumstantial findings should the accused be allowed the possibility of appeal.

I am of the opinion that the United States penal institutions could save more than enough money to support the sentences of any criminal being retained/imprisoned by the system. How? Its the same ole story thats been around since the beginning of civilization. Its Called indentured servitude......use all this indentured labor instead of simply housing, feeding, and providing healthcare for the length of any sentence. By any other name....SLAVERY is SLAVERY and slavery can and is justified in certain circumstances...i.e., like the penal system. None of those held by the system are there by free will, thus they are indentured to the state for "x" amount of time. Put that labor to work doing good instead of simply burning up tax payer money....the extra cost of security would be offset by the free labor when properly managed. One must consider the fact that the vast majority are there for engaging in crimes that are not MURDER (the spilling of innocent).....if those truly guilty of murder would be placed to death immediately instead of being allowed to take decades to burn through all the superfluous appeals.
    Last edited by Ralph; 02-26-2018 at 11:16 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post:

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No - nothing is perfect, and we've had too many instances here of people being hanged to please prejudice to want to support such nonsense. If Americans lack conscieces, we don't.
    Fine. If you think locking someone away for the entire of his/her life makes sense...champion it.

I disagree.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Capital punishment at best serves as a minimal deterrent, most murders are spontaneous, and in those cases few are thinking about deterrentence.
    I'm not interested in deterrence...although I did see a statistic on the issue once that I suppose to be correct. It asserted:

No one executed for murder has ever murdered again.

Who knows.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    The "Death Penalty" should at all times be an option held by those who govern. It should be exercised anytime innocent blood is spilled in a premeditated fashion. There can be no truly civilized society without the death penalty. As no government should bear the sword "IN VAIN" and only threaten to engage the ultimate form of justice. When one is found guilty, not on circumstantial evidence, but on the eyewitness testimony of 3 or more people who witnessed the event charged, or when the defendant pledges guilty......the sentence should be carried out immediately. Only the cases where guilt is concluded based upon circumstantial findings should the accused be allowed the possibility of appeal.

I am of the opinion that the United States penal institutions could save more than enough money to support the sentences of any criminal being retained/imprisoned by the system. How? Its the same ole story thats been around since the beginning of civilization. Its Called indentured servitude......use all this indentured labor instead of simply housing, feeding, and providing healthcare for the length of any sentence. By any other name....SLAVERY is SLAVERY and slavery can and is justified in certain circumstances...i.e., like the penal system. None of those held by the system are there by free will, thus they are indentured to the state for "x" amount of time. Put that labor to work doing good instead of simply burning up tax payer money....the extra cost of security would be offset by the free labor when properly managed. One must consider the fact that the vast majority are there for engaging in crimes that are not MURDER (the spilling of innocent).....if those truly guilty of murder would be placed to death immediately instead of being allowed to take decades to burn through all the superfluous appeals.
    Thank you for that, Ralph...

...although I wish you were not on my side on this.

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Thank you for that, Ralph...

...although I wish you were not on my side on this.
    Truth...takes no sides, its the same for anyone that invokes it. A blind hog...acorn....yada, yada, yada.........even a broken clock tells the truth at least 2x a day.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph For This Post: