Thread: Time to get Effing Serious.

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,553 Times in 53,373 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Cut teacher pay.....after all its for their safety too.....(sarcasm)

Parents with children in school should be willing to pay a few bucks more every year to keep their kids safe, wouldn't you think....over 3000 students in that school

at 25 bucks a head, is $75.000 a year....25 dollars, one steak dinner, is your kids safety worth it......?
    You're preaching to the choir, Brother Nova. Since I registered to vote, shortly after Jefferson was sworn in, I've not failed to vote in favor of any school funding measures. Sometimes, though, my POV wasn't shared.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Today Trump told the parents if the Coach had been armed,he would have shot the shooter.
    Of course if the police came in and saw the Coach with a gun,they would have shot the Coach!
    I guess Trump didn't think of that.
    Maybe more guns isn't the best control!?
    or maybe training the cops to not shoot first and then ask questions, but no we can't have cops who think first, can we?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,254 Times in 7,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    At the risk of ruining your lefty street cred, I agree 100% with what you are saying

And I would add that in this case with this kids history,I would have zero problem with him being evaluated and prevented from purchasing subsequent to six month reviews. I am no against a mental health provision to keep nutjobs like this from having a gun, but it has to be strictly defined so it isn’t abused
    Oh, we certainly would not want restrictions to be abused. Imagine if someone were only marginally nuts...and being denied the right to buy as many rifles and ammo as he/she wants.

That would be terrible...terrible, I tell ya!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Althea (02-23-2018)

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sckools can certainly be be made more secure by both design and security the problem then becomes is the mentally ill will look for other targets. Mental illness is the core of the issue.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Oh, we certainly would not want restrictions to be abused. Imagine if someone were only marginally nuts...and being denied the right to buy as many rifles and ammo as he/she wants.

That would be terrible...terrible, I tell ya!
    other than your idiot snideness, you do know the actual abuses we are referring to, right?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,003 Times in 32,308 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I think you could also find unemployed vets, who would jump at the chance.
    aren't most of the unemployed vets the ones who HAVE mental health issues?.....

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,254 Times in 7,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    other than your idiot snideness, you do know the actual abuses we are referring to, right?
    I am not an idiot...and the "snideness" was not idiotic. It was an appropriate reaction to the comment I responded to.

If you think I may be unaware of the "abuses" or insensitive to them...indicate the ones that concern you and I'll comment on them.

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Sckools can certainly be be made more secure by both design and security the problem then becomes is the mentally ill will look for other targets. Mental illness is the core of the issue.
    Then by all means keep the children vulnerable if it protects other targets...
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

10. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Then by all means keep the children vulnerable if it protects other targets...

you are being a moron

11. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Today Trump told the parents if the Coach had been armed,he would have shot the shooter.
    Of course if the police came in and saw the Coach with a gun,they would have shot the Coach!
    I guess Trump didn't think of that.
    Maybe more guns isn't the best control!?
    It might help if you realized that cops don't enter live fire situations but that would shake your statist beliefs to their core.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

12. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    you are being a moron
    By all means explain your position with lucidity...I will listen.

13. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    aren't most of the unemployed vets the ones who HAVE mental health issues?.....
    Here in lies the rub...how long until the guards become the shooters...but let's face it, returning vets are being hired as cops every day, where they then turn their killing instincts against the citizens, can't win.

In general cops don't work that well since they treat everyone like suspects including 10 year olds having a temper tantrum.
    That's why I specified that school guards need special training.
    Some vets may qualify, others not so much.

Personally I prefer older cops, with maturity, wisdom and experience/ judgement the younger ones have yet to aquire.

14. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Here in lies the rub...how long until the guards become the shooters...but let's face it, returning vets are being hired as cops every day, where they then turn their killing instincts against the citizens, can't win.

In general cops don't work that well since they treat everyone like suspects including 10 year olds having a temper tantrum.
    That's why I specified that school guards need special training.
    Some vets may qualify, others not so much.

Personally I prefer older cops, with maturity, wisdom and experience/ judgement the younger ones have yet to aquire.
    Your “some vets may qualify, others not so much” is very accurate, IMO. I like the idea of training vets for this position but there is still an element of the unknown as to how they would handle the position. Being around kids requires a lot of self control. Also you’d have idiot teachers sending 10 year olds having temper tantrums to these guys for them to try to handle.

All that said, I still like the idea if good training and oversight are implemented.

15. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

As this Parkland shooting victim's father said, "It's not about gun laws right now...that's another fight...another battle".

He's right. At this moment in time let's secure the schools and the kids FIRST. I believe this is where all of our concerns should be FIRST. And, THEN move on to long dragged out political and legislative solutions concerning guns and laws.

Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Rune (02-22-2018)

17. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I am not an idiot...and the "snideness" was not idiotic. It was an appropriate reaction to the comment I responded to.

If you think I may be unaware of the "abuses" or insensitive to them...indicate the ones that concern you and I'll comment on them.
    current abuses of power given to law enforcement concerning mental illness has evidenced itself in cops committing a person to a 72 hour psych hold for such things as insubordination or exercising your right to remain silent.