Thread: Billy Graham dead.

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    To be fair, we are required to evangelize. I agree far too many spend too much time preaching against this (IMO) or that than telling the gospel story.
    Yep. My mom was a Sunday school teacher for many years, so we were steeped in that faith. However, her "evangelizing" was of the quiet sort that I learned to associate with those who truly do follow Christ. She taught by example rather than by exhortation.

And that ^ is why so many of we non-believers are both amused and repelled by those who preach and teach but act in direct opposition to what they are pushing.

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I always feel sad when some atheist claims Christians try to legislate their beliefs.....to have so much ignorance free to breed is a shame......as for evangelizing, turn off the tele-evangelist, shut the door on the Witnesses, stay away from churches......life is such a burden for atheists.....so many responsibilities to take charge of their own lives.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

TOP (02-22-2018)

4. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,526 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    Your belief doesn't affect me at all and I never indicated it did. However, belief in general does affect us all when believers sincerely believe it is their right to infringe on the freedoms of others in order to enforce their firmly held beliefs.

You cannot disprove a God that hasn't been proven to exist.

I have no need to pretend least of all on an Internet forum full of strangers.
    Sorry sport that BS doesn't fly every group that advocates something poses the same risk so your assertions are faux.

5. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yep. My mom was a Sunday school teacher for many years, so we were steeped in that faith. However, her "evangelizing" was of the quiet sort that I learned to associate with those who truly do follow Christ. She taught by example rather than by exhortation.

And that ^ is why so many of we non-believers are both amused and repelled by those who preach and teach but act in direct opposition to what they are pushing.
    A true Christian never professes to be perfect. Yet, non-believers think that somehow we SHOULD be. Go figure. We know we are sinners saved by grace alone, not of our own fleshly efforts. We are not SELF righteous (made righteous because of self), we are CHRIST righteous (made righteous because of Christ). We can't force another human by human effort to believe on Christ and be saved. We can only preach the Word or plant the seed. It's up to God to do the harvesting.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

6. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,573 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    A true Christian never professes to be perfect. Yet, non-believers think that somehow we SHOULD be. Go figure. We know we are sinners saved by grace alone, not of our own fleshly efforts. We are not SELF righteous (made righteous because of self), we are CHRIST righteous (made righteous because of Christ). We can't force another human by human effort to believe on Christ and be saved. We can only preach the Word or plant the seed. It's up to God to do the harvesting.
    I don't expect Christians to be perfect, I just expect them to at least give -a little- effort to follow the teachings of Christ.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Badguy For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-22-2018)

8. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I have no anger . I feel sorry for people who waste so much time and effort dealing with a belief their parents shoved down their throats when they were kids. Few were equipped to fight it off when they were young. Same kind of people who voted for Trump. Now they defend him like a religion. No thinking involved. Their religion can do no wrong and Trump can do no wrong. In both cases that requires blindness .
    You have nothing but anger. Why else would it offend you so much that with the hell Louis Zamperini went through, he's the guy the book and movie The Unbroken were about, turning to God got his life back in order? Why does that anger you?

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    I don't expect Christians to be perfect, I just expect them to at least give -a little- effort to follow the teachings of Christ.
    I understand. I think real Christians do make that effort each day. You can't worry about the false teachers, prophets or the ones 'in name only'. It's wiser to keep our eyes on Jesus for the best example of living by faith. When you see persons exalting themselves above the knowledge of God, know they are phony and walk away from them. God knows all about them and he'll deal with them. We will only be accountable for ourselves when we see Him face to face.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

10. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I understand. I think real Christians do make that effort each day. You can't worry about the false teachers, prophets or the ones 'in name only'. It's wiser to keep our eyes on Jesus for the best example of living by faith. When you see persons exalting themselves above the knowledge of God, know they are phony and walk away from them. God knows all about them and he'll deal with them. We will only be accountable for ourselves when we see Him face to face.
    Another thing that always bugged me about Christianity, the seemingly countless denominations and sub-denominations. I live in the south, and was raised southern Baptist. I saw all these other churches, Methodist, Seventh Day Adventist, even other Baptist churches split off from existing ones because of infighting among members or even because the congregation was mostly older and didn't like people wearing jeans to church. I was told Catholics are ca-razy because they put too much emphasis on Mary and the hierarchy of the priests, bishops, Pope, etc etc.

Christianity can't even get it's own shit together.
    Last edited by Mr.Badguy; 02-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

11. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Another thing that always bugged me about Christianity, the seemingly countless denominations and sub-denominations. I live in the south, and was raised southern Baptist. I saw all these other churches, Methodist, Seventh Day Adventist, even other Baptist churches split off from existing ones because of infighting among members or even because the congregation was mostly older and didn't like people wearing jeans to church. I was told Catholics are ca-razy because they put too much emphasis on Mary and the hierarchy of the priests, bishops, Pope, etc etc.

dude......you realize how fucking petty you sound?......bitch not about the shit stain in your neighbor's shorts when you have a load in your own......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

RB 60 (02-23-2018)

13. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Well, we did hold it together for 1500 years before the protestant breakdown. 1000 years, if you count the Great Schism.

14. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    The last of his kind, a truest bipartisan and honest man of God.

He refused to use division to line his pockets and truly embraced the gospel of Love over hate and judgement.
    I GUESS HE WASN'T WORTHY OF THE RAPTURE.

Good riddance....a tent flap preacher elevated by Johnson as an anti-Communist element, along with inserting "...under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

15. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Only the Holy Spirit can give us the discernment we need to choose true Biblical messages........and true Biblical messengers to teach it.
    pain in abortion.

16. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Only the Holy Spirit can give us the discernment we need to choose true Biblical messages........and true Biblical messengers to teach it.
    I appreciate your attitude. It's all just so silly to me.

17. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JarredHead View Post
    The last of his kind, a truest bipartisan and honest man of God.

He refused to use division to line his pockets and truly embraced the gospel of Love over hate and judgement.
    I always find it ironic when you whine about partisanship and honesty.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

18. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

I am not sure of all doctrine enough to contend with anyone who professes Christ. It would be uncomely. I should not have brought up this divisive doctrinal point. I am not exactly sure. I am learning as I go. thanks be to The lord. this is intended for pmp , he quoted me.
    Last edited by iewitness; 02-22-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out