Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I DON'T "BELIEVE" ANY GODS EXIST; I ALSO DON'T "BELIEVE" THERE ARE NO GODS!

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    there is no need for any god in any of the science we have figured out

a system doesn't present any need for the craken either

or discompleiatenates

or sunbranatious vectations

or sunbranatious vectations

2. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2018)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    A tizzy? Silly you.
    Nothing "silly" about it. Thought I'd give you a chance to do one of those "old guy" jokes.

4. #33 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Nothing "silly" about it. Thought I'd give you a chance to do one of those "old guy" jokes.
    An old geezer became very bored in retirement and decided to open a medical clinic.
    He put a sign up outside that said: "Dr. Geezer's clinic. Get your treatment for $500, if not cured, get back $1,000."

Doctor Young, who was positive that this old geezer didn't know beans about medicine, thought this would be a great opportunity to get $1,000. So he went to Dr. Geezer's clinic.
    Dr. Young: "Dr. Geezer, I have lost all taste in my mouth. Can you please help me?"
    Dr. Geezer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in Dr. Young's mouth.”
    Dr. Young: “Aaagh!! This is Gasoline!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Congratulations! You've got your taste back. That will be $500.”
    Dr. Young gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days figuring to recover his money.
    Dr. Young: "I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything."
    Dr. Geezer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."
    Dr. Young: "Oh, no you don't -- that is Gasoline!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Congratulations! You've got your memory back. That will be $500."
    Dr. Young (after having lost $1000) leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.
    Dr. Young: "My eyesight has become weak. I can hardly see anything!!!!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Well, I don't have any medicine for that so, here's your $1000 back." (giving him a $10 bill)
    Dr. Young: "But this is only $10!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Congratulations! You got your vision back! That will be $500."
    Moral of the story: Just because you're ‘Young’ doesn't mean that you can outsmart an ‘old Geezer’!
    Remember: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Happy now?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    An old geezer became very bored in retirement and decided to open a medical clinic.
    He put a sign up outside that said: "Dr. Geezer's clinic. Get your treatment for $500, if not cured, get back $1,000."

Doctor Young, who was positive that this old geezer didn't know beans about medicine, thought this would be a great opportunity to get $1,000. So he went to Dr. Geezer's clinic.
    Dr. Young: "Dr. Geezer, I have lost all taste in my mouth. Can you please help me?"
    Dr. Geezer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in Dr. Young's mouth.”
    Dr. Young: “Aaagh!! This is Gasoline!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Congratulations! You've got your taste back. That will be $500.”
    Dr. Young gets annoyed and goes back after a couple of days figuring to recover his money.
    Dr. Young: "I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything."
    Dr. Geezer: "Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in the patient's mouth."
    Dr. Young: "Oh, no you don't -- that is Gasoline!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Congratulations! You've got your memory back. That will be $500."
    Dr. Young (after having lost $1000) leaves angrily and comes back after several more days.
    Dr. Young: "My eyesight has become weak. I can hardly see anything!!!!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Well, I don't have any medicine for that so, here's your $1000 back." (giving him a $10 bill)
    Dr. Young: "But this is only $10!"
    Dr. Geezer: "Congratulations! You got your vision back! That will be $500."
    Moral of the story: Just because you're ‘Young’ doesn't mean that you can outsmart an ‘old Geezer’!
    Remember: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to tick us off.

Happy now?
    Loved it. In fact, I will steal it...and mail it to some of the geezers I play golf with. But I will give you credit. I'll tell 'em, RB gave me this.

And when they ask who RB is...I'll answer, "Are be damned if I know."

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think it IS making up one's mind...and choosing the most logical option on the question.
    lol....no.....deciding to wait until there is unavoidable evidence isn't "making up your mind".....its a refusal to make up your mind......

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol....no.....deciding to wait until there is unavoidable evidence isn't "making up your mind".....its a refusal to make up your mind......
    No...when you don't know and acknowledge you don't know...it means you are an adult.

If you don't know and pretend you do...by disguising the fact that you are making a blind guess and calling it "I believe...""...

...it means you are a chump.

Hey...chumps like you have a place in society. Just don't clog up the storm drains.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Leonthecat (02-25-2018), ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2018)

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

No...when you don't know and acknowledge you don't know...it means you are an adult.

If you don't know and pretend you do...by disguising the fact that you are making a blind guess and calling it "I believe...""...

...it means you are a chump.

Hey...chumps like you have a place in society. Just don't clog up the storm drains.
    sorry, but since no one has told you what to believe, how can you decide who is and who isn't a chump?......

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    sorry, but since no one has told you what to believe, how can you decide who is and who isn't a chump?......
    If you are making a guess that a god exists...and calling that guess anything but a GUESS...

...you are a chump.

Rhymes with Trump.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Leonthecat (02-25-2018)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    Believing in God is a personal choice. The way I see it, is it costs me nothing to believe and if I'm incorrect I lose nothing in the end but those who don't believe lose everything if I am right. So it's a persons choice plain and simple. Is that logical enough.
    So in your eyes accepting the notion that supernatural beings control your life and your destiny is just a bet?
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

If you are making a guess that a god exists...and calling that guess anything but a GUESS...

...you are a chump.

Rhymes with Trump.
    PMP has "faith" that 1st century, middle east goat farmer's superstitions were an accurate assessment of the universe, because that is what he was told as a child.
    He also has "faith" that Trump is an intelligent conservative.
    He has a lot of "faith" and very little else.
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonthecat For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (02-25-2018)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Leonthecat View Post
    PMP has "faith" that 1st century, middle east goat farmer's superstitions were an accurate assessment of the universe, because that is what he was told as a child.
    He also has "faith" that Trump is an intelligent conservative.
    He has a lot of "faith" and very little else.
    Bingo!

Looks at though you read him loud and clear, Cat. He IS easy to see through!

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,524 Times in 52,741 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonthecat View Post
    So in your eyes accepting the notion that supernatural beings control your life and your destiny is just a bet?
    Plus that sounded awfully insincere. "Hmm, I don't know for sure if the God everyone talks about is real. But just in case, I'm going to say that I believe so if it *is* true, I'll get some kind of ____. But if it's not true, I'm not out anything." Reminds me a lot of a kid who still believes in Santa but hears kids at school saying Santa isn't real.

What I'd like to know is why a belief in god(s) is always entwined with a belief in an afterlife, in Western religions. Why does there have to be a god in order for some bit of us to continue to exist after the meatspace body is gone?

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Plus that sounded awfully insincere. "Hmm, I don't know for sure if the God everyone talks about is real. But just in case, I'm going to say that I believe so if it *is* true, I'll get some kind of ____. But if it's not true, I'm not out anything." Reminds me a lot of a kid who still believes in Santa but hears kids at school saying Santa isn't real.

What I'd like to know is why a belief in god(s) is always entwined with a belief in an afterlife, in Western religions. Why does there have to be a god in order for some bit of us to continue to exist after the meatspace body is gone?
    The driving force behind most religion...is an abject fear of death by the adherents, OW.

They are afraid.

That is why the often say that there are no atheists in foxholes. (They think if you are terrified enough...you will accept the idea of a god.)

Also why they claim that on the death bed...people convert.

MY GUESS: The are wrong on those two things MOST of the time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Leonthecat (02-25-2018)

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,524 Times in 52,741 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

The driving force behind most religion...is an abject fear of death by the adherents, OW.
    They are afraid.
    That is why the often say that there are no atheists in foxholes. (They think if you are terrified enough...you will accept the idea of a god.)
    Also why they claim that on the death bed...people convert.
    MY GUESS: The are wrong on those two things MOST of the time.
    The idea of death is indeed terrifying even for those who are sure there's some sort of afterlife. It just makes sense: an organism that doesn't fear extinction isn't going to last long enough to pass on its genes to the next generation.

As a nurse I've attended the last moments of those passing on; have not seen any sudden conversions. As a human who has had two near-death experiences herself, I can tell you that at those times my only and overwhelming concern was what was going to happen with my children if I didn't make it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Gotcha68 (03-09-2018)

21. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    The idea of death is indeed terrifying even for those who are sure there's some sort of afterlife. It just makes sense: an organism that doesn't fear extinction isn't going to last long enough to pass on its genes to the next generation.

As a nurse I've attended the last moments of those passing on; have not seen any sudden conversions. As a human who has had two near-death experiences herself, I can tell you that at those times my only and overwhelming concern was what was going to happen with my children if I didn't make it.
    That's where it is so different for me,when I had my Epiphany at 26 ,and knew Jesus,YHWH was real and I had eternal life.
    My feeling was get me OUT of HERE!