Thread: ICE on the move

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default ICE on the move

Federal agents nab nearly 200 people in L.A.-area immigration raids targeting criminals

Federal immigration agents arrested nearly 200 people in the Los Angeles area during a five-day dragnet targeting criminal offenders living in the country illegally, U.S. officials said Thursday.

Agents arrested 188 people in an operation targeting "at-large criminal aliens, illegal re-entrants and immigration fugitives," according to a statement from U.S.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Nearly 90% — 169 — of those arrested in the operation, which ended Wednesday, had prior convictions, officials said. Those arrested included nationals from 11 countries. The majority, 146 people, are from Mexico. Others are nationals of El Salvador, Armenia, Honduras, Thailand, Yugoslavia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Russia and the Philippines, according to ICE.

Among them was a 29-year-old Salvadoran national who was deported in 2013 after serving a nine-year prison term for rape and who returned to the United States illegally, ICE said in a statement. Also detained were a previously deported 51-year-old from Mexico convicted of cocaine trafficking, a 47-year-old from Mexico with prior convictions for felony assault and another conviction for battery, and a 26-year-old Salvadoran national who is a registered sex offender, according to ICE.

Other criminal convictions included drug offenses, domestic violence, DUI, sex crimes, battery, weapons violations, assault, burglary, fraud, vehicle theft, arson, cruelty to a child, robbery, obstructing justice, property damage, larceny, escape, manslaughter, prostitution, trespassing, incest, receipt of stolen property, and illegal entry or re-entry, ICE said.

Immigrants who are not being criminally prosecuted will be processed for removal from the country, ICE said.

"By taking these individuals off the streets and removing them from the country, we're making our communities safer for everyone," David Marin, field office director for enforcement and removal operations in Los Angeles, said in a statement.

Officials have said that ICE practices in Los Angeles have not changed, despite President Trump's promised crackdown on those in the United States illegally.

Although arrests by ICE are up 35% nationwide since Trump took office, they remain relatively flat in Southern California as of earlier this month. Arrests of immigrants without criminal pasts have remained low in the L.A. region as well, as agents are doing little, if anything, differently from what they were under the previous administration, ICE officials say.

he 188 arrests made this week are in line with the number of people nabbed in similar operations ICE periodically carries out in the region. In February, for example, more than 150 people were arrested during a weeklong campaign, and ICE again ramped up arrests during a several-day stretch last July, which resulted in 112 arrests.

ICE refers to the increased activity as expanded enforcement operations to set them apart from typical arrest levels, which are somewhat lower. ICE's Los Angeles field office, which covers a huge area from San Luis Obispo to San Clemente and from the coast to the Nevada border, has nine teams of agents who arrest people suspected of being in the country illegally. At least one of the teams is active each day and will typically target just a handful of people.

Other agents, meanwhile, focus on arresting people as they are released from local jails.

In the three months after Trump took office, agents in the L.A. field office made 2,273 arrests — marking little change from the 2,166 arrests during the same period last year and a decline from the 2,719 arrests in 2015, according to ICE figures. Ninety percent of the people arrested this year had criminal records, the highest percentage among all ICE offices in the United States, the numbers show.

The L.A. figures differ starkly from those in Atlanta, Dallas and elsewhere, where the number of people without criminal records arrested by ICE has jumped dramatically in the months since Trump took office. In Atlanta, for example, noncriminal arrests rose more than fivefold over last year and accounted for a third of all ICE arrests.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USFREEDOM911 For This Post:

dukkha (02-17-2018), TOP (02-18-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

ya. ICE is stepping up raids because of sanctuary cities refusal to cooperate.
    I don't know how you were diverted / You were perverted too
    I don't know how you were inverted / No one alerted you

4. The Following User Groans At dukkha For This Awful Post:

Rune (02-18-2018)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

TOP (02-18-2018)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    ya. ICE is stepping up raids because of sanctuary cities refusal to cooperate.
    I wonder if someone in the administration is reading JPP??

Monday / California / Marijuana

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    I wonder if someone in the administration is reading JPP??

Monday / California / Marijuana
    well i think in that cases we go back to out of control U.S. Attorney like Melinda Haag
    She went after Harborside soley because it was big ( big is innately bad, more chances for drug diversion)
    She made their life miserable,even after the Ogden memo. They couldn't even use banks

I am completely libertarian on all drugs, and hate guns, so am biased -but if you want to read an interesting saga..

Feds Drop Case Against Influential Medical Marijuana Dispensary
    Harborside Health Center in Oakland, California, has been fighting to stay open for four years.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b016f37893a9c2

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    well i think in that cases we go back to out of control U.S. Attorney like Melinda Haag
    She went after Harborside soley because it was big ( big is innately bad, more chances for drug diversion)
    She made their life miserable,even after the Ogden memo. They couldn't even use banks

I am completely libertarian on all drugs, and hate guns, so am biased -but if you want to read an interesting saga..

Feds Drop Case Against Influential Medical Marijuana Dispensary
    Harborside Health Center in Oakland, California, has been fighting to stay open for four years.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b016f37893a9c2
    I would just like to see it; because the liberal crying, in California, might settle their drought problems.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

This comment may not rise above unsubstantiated opinion. But fwiw:

- Diversity is a strength. And President Trump's campaign to MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN however well intentioned, my do vastly more harm than good.

- As the tall green lady in New York harbor continues to proclaim:

“The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus
    “"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"” cries she
    With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

That is a principle our nation of immigrants has embraced for generations.

Unfortunately, the Republicans have given us a leader, a president that is not a man of principle. So shut up Emma!

- Whatever Pyrrhic victory Trump's deportations might seem to the xenophobes in the short run, it's rather more likely to spell the beginning of the end of the formula that's spelled our success for centuries.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

10. The Following User Groans At sear For This Awful Post:

dukkha (02-18-2018)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sear For This Post:

Rune (02-18-2018)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post

- Diversity is a strength. And President Trump's campaign to MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN however well intentioned, my do vastly more harm than good.

Unfortunately, the Republicans have given us a leader, a president that is not a man of principle. So shut up Emma!

- Whatever Pyrrhic victory Trump's deportations might seem to the xenophobes in the short run, it's rather more likely to spell the beginning of the end of the formula that's spelled our success for centuries.
    When you being your rant with a fallacy; ie: "...President Trump's campaign to MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN..."

It kind of destroys the rest of your intended message.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post

Diversity can be a strength but ONLY when it comes about through proper means not simply for the sake of something being diverse.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    When you being your rant with a fallacy; ie: "...President Trump's campaign to MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN..."

It kind of destroys the rest of your intended message.

Actually, he began with an earlier fallacy about diversity, at least the mindset of why diversity should be in place under today's way of thinking by those pushing for it.