Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Shut up and dribble"

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Wolsey was on Laura Ingram and got into an interesting geopolitical discussion ..Ingram takes the position I do;
    if you weaken Putin too much with banking sanctions (etc.) it drives Russia away from it's European perspective.
    Russia and Europe both thrive when there is trade and a rapproachment of tensions.

But if you drive Putin into China's arms, China can at least trade with Russia to some extent
    ( like joining in China's Belt/Silk and Road Project) - but align closely militarily.

That's bad for USA.
    China has the money and Russia has the engineering expertise in weapons designs that can rival the USA.
    It's towards everyone interests except China to keep Russia in the European/western sphere
    Ingraham is a classic political hack, and everything that she states is basically based on who is in power. Not to foray into whataboutism, but if Obama was President w/ the same situation, she'd be painting Putin & Russia as incredibly dangerous and Obama as a traitor for coddling him. She'd be leading the charge for a similar investigation to what the Trump campaign has had.

She & Hannity are 2 peas in a pod. They were so extreme about defending Bush & the Iraq War, for YEARS. Then, as soon as Bush was out of power, they turned on him (especially w/ Trump's candidacy), and Ingraham has recently said that Iraq was a mistake. She never would have said that back then, but the power paradigm doesn't change w/ that opinion now.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    You were questioning her right to express her views that many of you do not have?

You said it, plain and simple....too late to back peddle now thingy....
    I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this, because it's a reading comprehension issue you're having. I'm asking it rhetorically, bravo: she is telling Lebron to shut up and dribble, and implying that as an athlete, he doesn't have the same right to express his opinion. So, I'm asking her rhetorically - "Because you have a talk show and worked on the court, you apparently have a right to speak that the rest of us don't have?" My answer to that is NO, she does not have a right that the rest of us don't share. We ALL have the right to speak.

I mean this sincerely: you are embarrassing yourself.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this, because it's a reading comprehension issue you're having. I'm asking it rhetorically, bravo: she is telling Lebron to shut up and dribble, and implying that as an athlete, he doesn't have the same right to express his opinion. So, I'm asking her rhetorically - "Because you have a talk show and worked on the court, you apparently have a right to speak that the rest of us don't have?" My answer to that is NO, she does not have a right that the rest of us don't share. We ALL have the right to speak.

I mean this sincerely: you are embarrassing yourself.
    Your mis characterized her comment.....she was implying he didn't know wtf he was talking about, not his right to express his wrong headed views....as she did in her book, 'Shut up and sing' .....like the old Mark Twain quote,“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” Good advice for you too.....

And I agree, I'm not going to spend ANY more time on this...I've made my point, in spades, you lose this one.
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
    Your mis characterized her comment.....she was implying he didn't know wtf he was talking about, not his right to express his wrong headed views....as she did in her book, 'Shut up and sing' .....like the old Mark Twain quote,“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” Good advice for you too.....

And I agree, I'm not going to spend ANY more time on this...I've made my point, in spades, you lose this one.
    She told him to shut up. She said, "No one voted for you...so keep the political commentary to yourself."

It's pretty clear, bravs. Too bad her own words don't back up your excuses for what she said. You are clearly wrong.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Ingraham is a classic political hack, and everything that she states is basically based on who is in power. Not to foray into whataboutism, but if Obama was President w/ the same situation, she'd be painting Putin & Russia as incredibly dangerous and Obama as a traitor for coddling him. She'd be leading the charge for a similar investigation to what the Trump campaign has had.

She & Hannity are 2 peas in a pod. They were so extreme about defending Bush & the Iraq War, for YEARS. Then, as soon as Bush was out of power, they turned on him (especially w/ Trump's candidacy), and Ingraham has recently said that Iraq was a mistake. She never would have said that back then, but the power paradigm doesn't change w/ that opinion now.
    I don't know much about her. I take your word on Iraq, and no doubt Libya.

But i was VERY IMPRESSED that someone was talking beyond the minutia of "Russian meddling" -
    which is a real nothing burger in terms of influencing the election.

Wolsey ( former CIA chief) was the usual Deep State "kill da Russians" -but Ingram brought out the China card.
    Once we get over the butt-hurt Russian interference ( with little real world meaning) the fact we are driving Putin into a Sino/Russian orbit is the big thing that lasts. And it ain't good.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Of course multiple NBA players this weekend said they will not shut up and dribble and will speak out even more. Not sure if that was Ingrahm's intended goal but comments like hers often backfire.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ask any Black person and even some whites if Laura Ingram is a racist and you will get a resounding YES!

To suggest she isn't is very misleading.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

He thanked her for her comment indicating that she actually gave him and his cause (whatever it is) even more attention. Then he asked what her name was because he didn't know.

Burn.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Of course multiple NBA players this weekend said they will not shut up and dribble and will speak out even more. Not sure if that was Ingrahm's intended goal but comments like hers often backfire.
    Yeah - she really struck a nerve.

It's the way she talked about it. She sounded like the kind of elitist that she always rails against. I saw that even Bill Kristol tweeted something about how her populist philosophy should respect all opinions, regardless of education level or anything else she cited in her initial criticism.

And for a commentator who loved the whole "snowflake" thing, her comments were very snowflakey. Not really sure why she's afraid of opinions.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Yeah - she really struck a nerve.

It's the way she talked about it. She sounded like the kind of elitist that she always rails against. I saw that even Bill Kristol tweeted something about how her populist philosophy should respect all opinions, regardless of education level or anything else she cited in her initial criticism.

And for a commentator who loved the whole "snowflake" thing, her comments were very snowflakey. Not really sure why she's afraid of opinions.
    It's similar to telling NFL players to shut up and just play ball as if their whole purpose in life is to entertain us with their sporting skills and nothing else. They serve us...so play ball and shut up about anything else.

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    It's similar to telling NFL players to shut up and just play ball as if their whole purpose in life is to entertain us with their sporting skills and nothing else. They serve us...so play ball and shut up about anything else.
    We all use whatever forums we have to express ourselves. For a lot of us here, it may be JPP, or a cocktail party, or a letter to the editor. Everyone should express how they feel. It's so integral to what makes the country great.

Ingraham's whole philosophy that everyone should stay in their lane & let the "experts" handle political commentary is very anti-American in spirit.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    The issue was the protesting during the game. LeBron doesn't grab a mic before tip off or during the national anthem and give his political opinions.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quick side note: anyone who thinks racism doesn't really exist anymore should spend a minute or 2 reading the Yahoo comments section on this story.

Yahoo's boards are strange...a complete conservative vacuum. They get thousands of comments on a story like this, and literally not one left-wing POV.