Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: It is pointless to exchange with a gun hugger on gun reform,

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    One of us is willing to discuss some minimal regulation of guns and one isn't.
    Do you know who was not willing to discuss some minimal regulation of guns? The founding fathers of this country! But the British were all for regulations, which is what led to the battles of Lexington and Concord.

Here's your flag -->

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

Sirthinksalot (02-16-2018)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

You aren't.

We're nearly 6 pages into this thread alone and you've never once mentioned any willingness to discuss any sort of regulation.
    There are all kinds of regulations on guns. Why do you act like they're not? Nor have you recommend any NEW regulations.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (02-16-2018), Sirthinksalot (02-16-2018)

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

You aren't.

We're nearly 6 pages into this thread alone and you've never once mentioned any willingness to discuss any sort of regulation.
    No, I'm not willing to enact any new regulations. I'm very willing to discuss the numerous laws and regulations already on the books and how they could be better used to decrease violence. But people like you just want to keep passing new laws that restrict the rights of the law abiding and get ignored by the criminals. And you can't even see why there's no common ground

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,217 Times in 13,952 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yes, you ignore those debates in which people are willing to accept reasonable regulations if they will do something constructive. We have yet to hear any proposals that would have prevented any of these shootings. Most guns have been purchased legally with background checks. The guy in TX who killed the people in the church should not have been able to buy a guy but the Navy failed to report the required information.
    Proposals? There's plenty, personally, I'd like to see guns treated the same way we do automobiles; registration, renewed registration, competence tests, licenses, renewed licenses, specialized licenses for certain weapons, and liability insurance

And now I'm going to get a gun hugger attempt to deflect by lamely telling me cars kill more people than guns

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

christiefan915 (02-17-2018), ThatOwlWoman (02-16-2018)

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    No, I'm not willing to enact any new regulations. I'm very willing to discuss the numerous laws and regulations already on the books and how they could be better used to decrease violence. But people like you just want to keep passing new laws that restrict the rights of the law abiding and get ignored by the criminals. And you can't even see why there's no common ground
    Current laws are ineffective, 30,000+ gun deaths a year prove that, nearly all of them can be circumvented

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Current laws are ineffective, 30,000+ gun deaths a year prove that, nearly all of them can be circumvented
    Please explain what you propose to eliminate "nearly all" of the of the 30,000+ gun deaths per year. I'll wait...

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Tell us all about Section 2 of the Second Amendment, bloke.
    Section two is the operative clause, the prefatory clause creates the condition under which the operative clause can relate, neither clause stands by itself, didn't you ever notice that the Second Amendment is the only Amendment with a direct prefatory clause? The Founding Fathers put it there for a reason

12. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    Please explain what you propose to eliminate "nearly all" of the of the 30,000+ gun deaths per year. I'll wait...
    I love it, any time anyone challenges guns the same inquiry arises, "what do you propose," but in this case we got "nearly all" as an escape clause

Nothing is going to eliminate all shootings, well, short of banning guns, but realistically we know that ain't happening, the goal is to do your best to reduce future gun violence. You want my proposals, I already stated such, as a minimum, I'd like to see guns treated the same way we do automobiles; registration, renewed registration, competence tests, licenses, renewed licenses, specialized licenses for certain weapons, and liability insurance

13. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    There are all kinds of regulations on guns. Why do you act like they're not? Nor have you recommend any NEW regulations.
    And most of the regulations are ineffective or easily circumvented.

And any regulations has to be Federal, otherwise, you can't get a gun in your State, go South, you can buy them openly in gun shows no questions asked

14. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,756 Times in 4,506 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

You aren't.

What minimal regulation have you suggested? Then we can discuss them.

15. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Proposals? There's plenty, personally, I'd like to see guns treated the same way we do automobiles; registration, renewed registration, competence tests, licenses, renewed licenses, specialized licenses for certain weapons, and liability insurance

And now I'm going to get a gun hugger attempt to deflect by lamely telling me cars kill more people than guns
    No but you will get a gun owner telling you that this is unacceptable. I’ll catch flack for my concession of registration being ok. I’ll even concede that re-registration needs to take place [on re-sale] but shouldn’t be cost prohibitive. But no tests or licensing and certainly no liability insurance.

The whole point of what I want to defend is to keep gun and ammo purchasing affordable for lower middle class to poor folks. That’s what I was when I was growing up. From as early as I can remember I saved any money I could for BB’s which were 6 cents a pack. Later it was 22 shells which I could get for 50 cents a box (of 50) at Walmart. After that it was mowing yards to save for a 30-30 ($125). Before I was 17 I had four long guns I could call my own. This from a lower middle class kid who a passion for hunting. None of this would have been possible for me if I didn’t live in the US. I don’t want their laws over here. I teach classrooms full of kids who share that same passion. I want to keep it available for them.

What you propose leads to cost prohibitive (at least for poor folks) measures and the next thing you know only the affluent would be able to afford to shoot and/or hunt.

16. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Section two is the operative clause, the prefatory clause creates the condition under which the operative clause can relate, neither clause stands by itself, didn't you ever notice that the Second Amendment is the only Amendment with a direct prefatory clause? The Founding Fathers put it there for a reason
    I said "section two," dumbass. Not different clauses of the same part.

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,373 Times in 4,319 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,440 Times in 2,029 Posts

and the operative words are "THE PEOPLE"......we know who "the people" are don't we....
    Put blame where it belongs
    ATF decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.
    It that time," the NRA wrote in a statement. "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semiautomatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."
    The ATF and Obama admin. ignored the NRA recommendations.

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,385 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I would hope most people's first reaction to the shooting is utter horror. But I guess only each individual knows what they really feel.
    As is true every time one of these preventable disasters happens -- my first reaction is OMG OMG those poor people, those poor parents. Almost 20 years ago it started with Columbine, and hasn't faded since, whether it was a school or a public venue like Las Vegas or the Pulse nightclub or Virginia Tech or churches or the never-ending parade of workplace shootings.

Then comes the anger, from the gut. Our culture of violence, worship of war, equating weapons with strength and reason with weakness... and most of all.... the mis-interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. The tunnel vision of the gun-humpers sees only "right to bear arms." It doesn't see the rest about "well-regulated militia." The gun-humpers cry "I've never done anything wrong with my dic....er, guns.... why should I be penalized because some guy with the same guns killed 59 ppl going to a concert?"

Somehow, the right of the gun-suckers to have the "freedom" to own their peni--- um, weapons has triumphed over your right to walk free from harm when you go to church, when you send your children to school, when you take your sweetie to a concert, when you're in your place of work. Like jack-lighted deer, we've let these fellow citizens frighten us into silence just so they can lovingly annoint their dealers-of-death with special oil and cherish them more than they cherish your life or mine -- or the lives of our country's children. We can't give 100% of the blame to the gun-fuckers. They in turn have been jack-lighted by the NRA, the conservative media, and the arms makers by means of fear. They truly believe, at least the stupidest of them, that "regulation" means someone confiscating their cold metal gonads. Then they'll be at the mercy of the thugs, brown people (redundant), and worse of all -- the government -- that the rest of us seem to be able to avoid and/or live in peace with.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (02-17-2018)