Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: It is pointless to exchange with a gun hugger on gun reform,

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Excellent question. I would also ask how they think they can somehow fight off the government's tanks, missiles, gases, even nukes with their puny-by-comparison pop guns. Entire well-equipped armies have tried and failed. The idea that having a gun is going to keep the government from doing something nefarious is something only a moron would believe.

They just don't want to admit that the real reason they have guns is because they tremble in fear of their fellow citizens, who in turn fear them.
    Here's your flag, traitor.

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman
    Excellent question. I would also ask how they think they can somehow fight off the government's tanks, missiles, gases, even nukes with their puny-by-comparison pop guns. Entire well-equipped armies have tried and failed. The idea that having a gun is going to keep the government from doing something nefarious is something only a moron would believe.

They just don't want to admit that the real reason they have guns is because they tremble in fear of their fellow citizens, who in turn fear them." TW #211
    Perhaps TW you're mirroring the derisive, flustered, dismissive style of your opposition. Your "tremble in fear" choice of word is almost surely a derisive exaggeration.
    There is a counterpoint of course.
    "... a tight grip is actually a sign of a weak hand." President William Jefferson Clinton 99/04/07 C-SPAN
    I own rainwear. It's not because I "tremble in fear" about water. Water is a useful cleaning / rinsing agent, & a superb refreshing beverage. I bathe in it routinely. That has zero to do with "tremble in fear".
    I own rainwear so that if I have an appointment which coincides with rainfall, I don't have to attend the meeting in soaking wet clothing.

Planet Earth is crammed w/ potential perils. Not merely mentally defective humans that may be a danger to themselves or others.
    Where I live there are ostensibly domesticated canids (among the most dangerous and persistent perils that confront me here). There are also wild canids, wild cats, bear, & lord knows what else.

And the irrefutable reality about self-defense weapons is:

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Is it not the same for a first aid kit? If you own a box of bandaids, is it because you "tremble in fear" at all potential sources of puncture or laceration? If so, how do you manage to navigate your own kitchen, if there's a shish kebab skewer, or paring knife in it?

"A gun is a tool." actor Alan Ladd in the title role of Shane

I'm not sure you sinking to the rhetorical level of children as the gun fanatics so often do will advantage your argument.

Why not try objective truth? Has truth ever been wrong?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

3. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    It is amusing to see him/her/it continue to make a fool of itself though, isn't it?
    Heil racists!

4. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,904 Times in 7,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Perhaps TW you're mirroring the derisive, flustered, dismissive style of your opposition. Your "tremble in fear" choice of word is almost surely a derisive exaggeration.
    There is a counterpoint of course.

I own rainwear. It's not because I "tremble in fear" about water. Water is a useful cleaning / rinsing agent, & a superb refreshing beverage. I bathe in it routinely. That has zero to do with "tremble in fear".
    I own rainwear so that if I have an appointment which coincides with rainfall, I don't have to attend the meeting in soaking wet clothing.

Planet Earth is crammed w/ potential perils. Not merely mentally defective humans that may be a danger to themselves or others.
    Where I live there are ostensibly domesticated canids (among the most dangerous and persistent perils that confront me here). There are also wild canids, wild cats, bear, & lord knows what else.

And the irrefutable reality about self-defense weapons is:

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Is it not the same for a first aid kit? If you own a box of bandaids, is it because you "tremble in fear" at all potential sources of puncture or laceration? If so, how do you manage to navigate your own kitchen, if there's a shish kebab skewer, or paring knife in it?

"A gun is a tool." actor Alan Ladd in the title role of Shane

I'm not sure you sinking to the rhetorical level of children as the gun fanatics so often do will advantage your argument.
    False equivalencies ^^^.

Do you not fear drowning? Would your rain coat keep you alive if you found yourself trapped underwater for an extended period?

Is the kind of minor cut you might suffer in the kitchen which could be treated with a First Aid kit something that could leave you dead on the floor in a split second?

Getting rained on or a cut on your finger is nothing to worry about. A shooter with a gun can kill you in an instant.

I agree with OW. I don't think she's talking about people who live in the wilderness where large, predatory wild animals roam freely. I know I'm not. But the vast majority of gun owners don't live anywhere that is a concern.

Most rabid 2nd Amendment gun freaks, like the ones around here, are paranoid suburban goofballs who have no real, legitimate, daily need for guns. Other than their need to constantly bolster and reaffirm their questionable manhood.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

5. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    Heil racists!
    this right here leads me to question your so called education. i don't believe you have those.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

6. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Other than their need to constantly bolster and reaffirm their questionable manhood.
    it sounds like your jealous of my larger than average manhood. it's ok. i'm sure your boyfriend can still use his little one quite well for you.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

7. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by DumberthanShit View Post
    it sounds like your jealous of my larger than average manhood. it's ok. i'm sure your boyfriend can still use his little one quite well for you.
    Sounds like you should be more concerned about bolstering your little IQ than lying about the size of your other little thing.

If you increased the size of your mind, you wouldn't feel the need to lie about the size of your manhood or your gun collection anymore.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

8. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

The rabbit gun Huggers do so out of a paranoia. There is no discussing anything rationally with paranoids

9. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,094 Times in 25,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    If you have a solution that doesn't involve further erosion of the 2nd amendment rights of the law abiding, I'm all for it.
    My solution is to allow women only to carry guns. All of these mass shootings were carried out by men.

What is it in the male psyche that makes them turn to mass murder?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

10. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 698 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    How in the hell does "boys in girls bathrooms" cause someone to purchase an AK15 to massacre seventeen kids in a school?

You must validated my point about exchanging with gun huggers on gun reform is a waste of time
    Then why won't you just shut up?

11. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    My solution is to allow women only to carry guns. All of these mass shootings were carried out by men.

What is it in the male psyche that makes them turn to mass murder?
    Are you saying that all men should be grouped into the same category? Interesting

Aren't you one of those that said all Muslims shouldn't be grouped that way because a few did something bad?

12. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    The rabbit gun Huggers do so out of a paranoia. There is no discussing anything rationally with paranoids
    You are a giant pain in the ass. There is no discussing anything rationally with hemorrhoids.

13. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"Do you not fear drowning?" N #214
    No.
    Instead I learned how to swim.
    "I agree with OW. I don't think she's talking about people who live in the wilderness where large, predatory wild animals roam freely. I know I'm not. But the vast majority of gun owners don't live anywhere that is a concern." N #214
    I've read 2A several times.
    I don't recall any qualifying clause for either geography, or population density.
    "Most rabid 2nd Amendment gun freaks, like the ones around here, are paranoid suburban goofballs who have no real, legitimate, daily need for guns." N #214
    To shorten your squabble, it's not a binary.
    - Is there a the most solitary citizen in the U.S.? Citizen "A"? ok
    - Is there a the most population congested, urbanized citizen in the U.S.? Citizen "Z"? why not

Therefore the remaining 320 million of us live in conditions somewhere in between.
    The binary is whether they carry a gun or not.

Our 2nd Amendment doesn't say we have to ask N #214's opinion if we are to carry a gun. What it says is: "shall not be infringed."
    "Other than their need to constantly bolster and reaffirm their questionable manhood." N #214
    Sure.
    Please quote with link the study that concludes all policemen and U.S. military personnel have weak gender identity.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

14. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    No.
    Instead I learned how to swim.

I've read 2A several times.
    I don't recall any qualifying clause for either geography, or population density.

To shorten your squabble, it's not a binary.
    - Is there a the most solitary citizen in the U.S.? Citizen "A"? ok
    - Is there a the most population congested, urbanized citizen in the U.S.? Citizen "Z"? why not

Therefore the remaining 320 million of us live in conditions somewhere in between.
    The binary is whether they carry a gun or not.

Our 2nd Amendment doesn't say we have to ask N #214's opinion if we are to carry a gun. What it says is: "shall not be infringed."

Sure.
    Please quote with link the study that concludes all policemen and U.S. military personnel have weak gender identity.
    Wow, that's all you could come up with????

1.) So you're saying that "knowing how to swim" makes you immune from the risk of ever drowning and your raincoat (gun) protects you from water no matter what form the peril it's causing you takes, even if you were to find yourself trapped under it with no air?

Get outta here.

Your allusion to the protection from water offered by a raincoat being comparable to the protection from harm offered by a gun, is as I said, a false equivalency. Oversimplification at best.

2.) More absurdity. The vast majority of US citizens live in developed cities and towns where dangerous wild animals are virtually non-existent and on the rare occasions when they do appear, it's not necessary to shoot them to protect yourself. Actually, in most places it's not even legal to kill these animals yourself. That's what 911 and animal control is for. The very notion that in 2018, protection from animals is a legitimate reason to need a gun for more than a tiny percentage of the population is beyond retarded. If you're going to be a soulless shill for gun ownership, you ought to try harder to create better fake, bullshit reasons for owning them.

3.) Re: all the 2nd Amendment garbage you gun huggers always resort to hiding behind.

That has become nothing more than an empty technicality these days. If it weren't for all the gutless politicians receiving the huge sums of money being paid to them by the greedy gun industry through their sleazy NRA lobbyists, all for the purpose of allowing them to market their little death machines to brainless goobers and rednecks as if they were no different than any other product, like lawn mowers or vacuum cleaners or bicycles, the 2nd Amendment would've been repealed like it should've been, long ago.

4.) Police officers and military personnel are paid to enforce the law and protect America and its citizens. They and a (very) few others, are the only people who have a legitimate and genuine need to carry firearms.

Now take your guns and go hide in fear and paranoia behind the 2nd Amendment.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

15. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"1.) So you're saying that "knowing how to swim" makes you immune from the risk of ever drowning and your raincoat (gun) protects you from water no matter what form the peril it's causing you takes, even if you were to find yourself trapped under it with no air?" N #224
    No.
    That's your assertion, not mine.

My point was substantially more sophisticated than that, and thus obviously above your head.

The challenge to which I responded was: "Do you not fear drowning?" N #214

The answer is no. I prefer to continue to live in confident competence rather than to grovel my life away in fear and cowardice; you know, the way you do.
    "Get outta here." N #224
    I was never there in the first place cupcake. I don't cower.
    "Your allusion to the protection from water offered by a raincoat being comparable to the protection from harm offered by a gun, is as I said, a false equivalency. Oversimplification at best." N #224
    To the simple-minded it might surely seem so.

But to those of us with intellectual means, it's simply a practical reminder that rather than "fear" (your exact word), I take precautions.

It doesn't mean I quiver in terror in a deep puddle of my own urine and vomit, under my bed, driven mad by self-concocted horrors about shoulda woulda coulda.

I live life to the full.
    - I'm a licensed hunter.
    - I'm a licensed car driver.
    - I'm a licensed motorcyclist.
    - I'm a licensed hang glider pilot.
    - I bicycled over 1,500 miles last year, and hope the season will last long enough in 2018 for a repeat.
    - I rappel (mountaineering)
    - I swim
    - I snorkel
    - I water ski
    - I sail
    - I camp
    - and if all that's not daring enough, I eat my own cooking.

Fear is for children sir or m'am.
    I have no time, and no patience for it. I'm not immortal. My time will come. It's not here yet. So I live life to the full, already have outdoor activities planned for tomorrow.
    "2.) More absurdity. The vast majority of US citizens live in developed cities and towns where dangerous wild animals are virtually non-existent and on the rare occasions when they do appear, it's not necessary to shoot them to protect yourself."
    Yes.
    P.T. Barnum explained it quite ably.
    I don't answer for them.

I live on my own estate, hundreds of acres inside the Adirondack Park, the largest nature preserve in the lower 48 East of the Mississippi.

Here's the view from my kitchen window:

My nearest neighbors are deer friends of mine.
    "4.) Police officers and military personnel are paid ..."
    Oh.
    So that's it.
    I knew there was a trick to it. They're paid!

Thanks for the tip.

Problem is, I could probably get a hot pizza delivered faster than I could get a COP up here.
    I've been here for decades. We take care of ourselves up here.