Members banned from this thread: evince and canceled.2021.3

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why less school shootings in the '70's?

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OODA View Post
    Nice try, but you advocate gunning people who disagree with you. You know, those second amendment types, like me.

At least have some balls and pull the trigger yourself.
    I said nothing of the sort. Why must you resort to lies to prove whatever insignificant point you have to make, since you haven't made one at all?

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Because modern American conservatives are basically inveterate liars by default.

2. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post

Ooooh, sick burn man! Dunno how I'll ever bounce back from a '60s Batman text sound effect.

3. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I said nothing of the sort. Why must you resort to lies to prove whatever insignificant point you have to make, since you haven't made one at all?
    It doesn't surprise me at all that a libtard like you would refuse to admit that he screwed up and let his true intentions be known.

4. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by OODA View Post
    It doesn't surprise me at all that a libtard like you would refuse to admit that he screwed up and let his true intentions be known.
    It doesn't surprise me that you think an emoji constitutes an argument.

5. #110 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,599 Times in 17,043 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Ooooh, sick burn man! Dunno how I'll ever bounce back from a '60s Batman text sound effect.
    We're all waiting to see if you can...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (02-16-2018)

7. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Since we don't have enough gun threads on the board here's another one. As a percentage gun ownership was higher in the '70's so it's not like guns weren't around or available. We've had several people on this board mention kids would keep their rifles in the back of their trucks at school or people having pistols in their car wasn't uncommon during that time. So what changed?

Is it more violence in movies/tv shows/video games that desensitizes kids to violence? More mental health problems due to overmedicated kids and adults? 24/7 news channels? less religion? less kids with both parents raising them? social media?

I not asking this in a right/left political perspective for or against guns but more what happened that causes kids to do this today when they didn't back then.
    Short answer, parents.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Scrubbaloe (02-16-2018)

9. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We're all waiting to see if you can...
    LOL. Oh, if you really think you're bruising me, you're delusional. I am better than you at this, and I will always be better than you at this. Hit me with your best shot. I can handle it.

10. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,621 Times in 16,555 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Over 100 super thoughtfully written responses in less than half a day...Very impressive, especially for a newbie That must be some kind of record. Not a word, though, about how, if dozens and dozens of people would have stepped up and followed through in reporting a young man who was obviously mentally ill (the student wasn't even allowed to carry a back pack anymore to school) he would have been receiving the help he needed, the gun might have been confiscated, and this tragedy may not have occurred. How many years did the behavioral and emotional disabilities go without the proper intervention? At school and at home?
    (Arm the schools, btw. Not with weapons, but with the resources and support they need to take care of the academic, emotional, and social needs of the students entrusted to their care......That's not happening these days...)

11. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Over 100 super thoughtfully written responses in less than half a day...Very impressive, especially for a newbie That must be some kind of record. Not a word, though, about how, if dozens and dozens of people would have stepped up and followed through in reporting a young man who was obviously mentally ill (the student wasn't even allowed to carry a back pack anymore to school) he would have been receiving the help he needed, the gun might have been confiscated, and this tragedy may not have occurred. How many years did the behavioral and emotional disabilities go without the proper intervention? At school and at home?
    (Arm the schools, btw. Not with weapons, but with the resources and support they need to take care of the academic, emotional, and social needs of the students entrusted to their care......That's not happening these days...)
    Who was going to confiscate the gun?

12. #115 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,599 Times in 17,043 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

LOL. Oh, if you really think you're bruising me, you're delusional. I am better than you at this, and I will always be better than you at this. Hit me with your best shot. I can handle it.
    Lets take a vote.
    Hell, I haven't even started yet.
    My week is in in 5 minutes, bye bye.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

TOP (02-16-2018)

14. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Simple minded statement!
    You can pray all you want silently between you and your maker.
    What's really foolish is to not be open to the possibility of a loving God.

15. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Lets take a vote.
    Hell, I haven't even started yet.
    My week is in in 5 minutes, bye bye.
    Take a vote on what? You're not supposed to start drinking until after you punch out, man. That PBR tallboy will still be there at 11:30.

16. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubbaloe View Post
    What's really foolish is to not be open to the possibility of a loving God.
    After watching two and a half decades of innocent people getting mowed down in schools, movie theaters and concerts; untold numbers of children dying of cancer; and the Backstreet Boys, I have dismissed the idea of a "loving God."

17. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Since we don't have enough gun threads on the board here's another one. As a percentage gun ownership was higher in the '70's so it's not like guns weren't around or available. We've had several people on this board mention kids would keep their rifles in the back of their trucks at school or people having pistols in their car wasn't uncommon during that time. So what changed?

Is it more violence in movies/tv shows/video games that desensitizes kids to violence? More mental health problems due to overmedicated kids and adults? 24/7 news channels? less religion? less kids with both parents raising them? social media?

I not asking this in a right/left political perspective for or against guns but more what happened that causes kids to do this today when they didn't back then.
    I do not think one can blame parenting or the health care system, or video games.

Let's be honest....these relentless mass executions of school children do not happen in other civilized countries.

The reason is crystal clear to the honest and casual observer. The mass proliferation of fire arms and easy access to them...., especially high capacity, semi-automatic, military-style weapons which are easily accessible, ubiquitous, and fetishized. These types of weapons were not around when I was growing up, and if they were they must have been in limited quantities.

Sure, there are undoubtedly other intangible reasons for violence and crime. But the primary reason cannot be dismissed, ignored, or talked around.

18. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

After watching two and a half decades of innocent people getting mowed down in schools, movie theaters and concerts; untold numbers of children dying of cancer; and the Backstreet Boys, I have dismissed the idea of a "loving God."
    Well after all the wars in history, the Holocaust, killing fields, Rwanda, etc. ther can be no doubt that incredibly bad things happen. I just think it wise to remain open to the possibility. As a wise man (St Peter) said, who else is there to turn to?