Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 million people in poverty, USA.

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon2012 View Post
    Billions wasted. Even ONE billion shared between 40 million in poverty would be 25 bucks each. What sort of a mindset rates bombs higher than poverty ?
    I see you are now "crawdading/backpedding" with YOUR, "Its not about inequality its about insulating the poor against poverty....rant"? Typical.....now you are going back to the beginning and pretending to engage with supposed NEW FACTS...that are actually nothing but parroted talking points..i.e., propaganda used in an attempt to tug on the hearts of those you have self defined as heartless. Now the TRUTH in objective, testable evidence's of record.

Reality: The actual demonstrable truth from the government's own accounting systems. Big Brother has spent over 20 trillion (not including SS and Medicare), not the crumbs you are projecting but 20 + trillion adjusted for inflation US dollars on a supposed war on poverty over the past few decades.....in comparison, when the accounting is calculated The United States of America (Department of Defense Spending) has spent 6.7 Trillion from the time this nation was conceived until TODAY on the industrial military complex WAR MACHINE....that's right, 3x more dollars have been wasted attempting to do the impossible, "Eliminate" poverty with a self defined Declared Spending War in just a few decades compared to centuries of war expenditures, the math is not difficult.....looks like its time to toss in the towel, as this liberal warfare is on the verge of dragging the world into a Great Depression like has never been witnessed all due to the quest of Social Justice and income redistribution. But here we again......with hat in hand coming to THE PEOPLE.....we need more soup please. It appears that a Bloshevik's belly is a difficult thing to fill.

https://www.heritage.org/poverty-and...after-50-years
    Last edited by Ralph; 02-16-2018 at 09:02 AM.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,396 Times in 6,143 Posts
    Blog Entries

There's a disproportionate number of morons on this JPP cesspit of a website who believe that the thread should have been entitled ' 40 million scroungers in the US ' .

Of course- they really are morons. It isn't just a handy descriptive term .
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 2,239 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 120 Posts

There's a disproportionate number of morons on this JPP cesspit of a website who believe that the thread should have been entitled ' 40 million scroungers in the US ' .

Moron: Mirror

4. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

China launches anti-poverty drive in restive Xinjiang

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/...150517058.html

Look and learn.

Maria Ressa.

5. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    As one LEGAL immigrant once remarked:
    America is the only country I know of, where the "poor" drive cars, own TVs and are fat.

That quote is so true and another reason why the federal government is failing in the "War on Poverty". We have the richest poor people in the world and paying out all the stipends (welfare, food stamps, Section 8 housing, SS Disability) just creates a generation of dependent Americans that can't or refuse to fend for themselves.

But let me talk about your signature, if I may:
    Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss, whereas they stand to receive infinite gains and avoid infinite losses.

I've heard people use this argument before and it puzzles me. First of all, it assumes that all you have to do is "believe in God" to receive "infinite gains". Didn't Hitler believe in God? Wasn't he very religious?

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 2

You really think someone who believes in God and is selfish and greedy will receive "infinite gains" as opposed to an atheist who is magnanimous and altruistic?

And if there is a God, what do you think He would think of someone who believed in Him based on what he has to gain? Doesn't sound very sincere, now does it.
    It's like if you were a multi-millionaire and someone wanted to be your friend to take advantage of your wealth.

And does God really care if someone believes in Him? Why would that matter to Him? If he's immortal, then he has no ego and wouldn't care. What would matter to Him, it would seem, is that people lived their life with benevolence and goodwill. Wouldn't you want to be surrounded by people like that rather than people who believed in you for their own selfish reasons?
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

moon (02-19-2018)

7. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Since a scrounger is someone that lives off others, it would be appropriate for the welfare leeches in poverty.

8. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldvoTrumpovich View Post

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, Vol. 1 Chapter 2
    "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 7:21

Since I'm not God, I can't judge Hitler. However, I have a very good idea how God did.

9. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

That quote is so true and another reason why the federal government is failing in the "War on Poverty". We have the richest poor people in the world and paying out all the stipends (welfare, food stamps, Section 8 housing, SS Disability) just creates a generation of dependent Americans that can't or refuse to fend for themselves.

But let me talk about your signature, if I may:
    Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss, whereas they stand to receive infinite gains and avoid infinite losses.

I've heard people use this argument before and it puzzles me. First of all, it assumes that all you have to do is "believe in God" to receive "infinite gains". Didn't Hitler believe in God? Wasn't he very religious?

You really think someone who believes in God and is selfish and greedy will receive "infinite gains" as opposed to an atheist who is magnanimous and altruistic?

And if there is a God, what do you think He would think of someone who believed in Him based on what he has to gain? Doesn't sound very sincere, now does it.
    It's like if you were a multi-millionaire and someone wanted to be your friend to take advantage of your wealth.

And does God really care if someone believes in Him? Why would that matter to Him? If he's immortal, then he has no ego and wouldn't care. What would matter to Him, it would seem, is that people lived their life with benevolence and goodwill. Wouldn't you want to be surrounded by people like that rather than people who believed in you for their own selfish reasons?
    It's just not believing in God; but also doing your best to follow His word.
    No; because someone who is "selfish and greedy" (needs a definition) is not following His word.
    The belief is not just what you will gain; but how you live your life.
    Living a life of benevolence and goodwill, is part of His word and doing so, along with a belief in Him is the determining factor.

We were given free will, to make choices of good or evil (short version).

There is no easy answer and it's my opinion, that an easy answer is exactly what many people feel they need; because without the easy answer they remain unsure.

I was raised with the belief that everyone will have to answer (atone) for things they've done in their life; because none of us are perfect (free will).

A person can't help anyone else, unless they've made them self right.
    They can't truly help anyone outside of their family, until they've made their family right.
    And this just follows up the ladder; but we all don't have the same view of the ladder.

Off topic:
    I once had some Jehovah Witnesses talking to me and in the conversation they said that if you have sinned; but never knew it was a sin, that as soon as the sin was pointed out and you stopped, then God would not hold you responsible.

I sat there for a minute and said; so if Hitler never woke up in the middle of the night and questioned what he was doing, then God won't hold him responsible.

They both looked at each other, got up, thanked me for my time, and left.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

10. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was raised with the belief that everyone will have to answer (atone) for things they've done in their life; because none of us are perfect
    Just wait until you're judged on the crap you've posted here, addlepate.

Maria Ressa.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (02-19-2018)

12. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Just wait until you're judged on the crap you've posted here, addlepate.
    I'm more then prepared.

Are you prepared to answer for yours; should be something you might want to be more concerned about.

13. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

It's just not believing in God; but also doing your best to follow His word.
    No; because someone who is "selfish and greedy" (needs a definition) is not following His word.
    The belief is not just what you will gain; but how you live your life.
    Living a life of benevolence and goodwill, is part of His word and doing so, along with a belief in Him is the determining factor.

We were given free will, to make choices of good or evil (short version).

There is no easy answer and it's my opinion, that an easy answer is exactly what many people feel they need; because without the easy answer they remain unsure.

I was raised with the belief that everyone will have to answer (atone) for things they've done in their life; because none of us are perfect (free will).

A person can't help anyone else, unless they've made them self right.
    They can't truly help anyone outside of their family, until they've made their family right.
    And this just follows up the ladder; but we all don't have the same view of the ladder.

Off topic:
    I once had some Jehovah Witnesses talking to me and in the conversation they said that if you have sinned; but never knew it was a sin, that as soon as the sin was pointed out and you stopped, then God would not hold you responsible.

I sat there for a minute and said; so if Hitler never woke up in the middle of the night and questioned what he was doing, then God won't hold him responsible.

They both looked at each other, got up, thanked me for my time, and left.
    But your quote doesn't state that. Your quote advances the notion that you should believe in God (and follow his word) because of the benefits you would get from it. But shouldn't doing good be its own reward? Isn't that what charity is all about? Being generous and charitable because you know it's right, regardless of what you get in return? If someone needs a reward for doing good, it tarnishes the act, don't you think?

Also, if you have two people, one who goes to church every Sunday, prays every day, worships God every day and follows his word. The other is an Atheist but is twice as altruistic, twice as charitable, twice as magnanimous as the first one.
    Which one do you believe has the better chance of receiving your "infinite gains"?
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

14. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But your quote doesn't state that. Your quote advances the notion that you should believe in God (and follow his word) because of the benefits you would get from it. But shouldn't doing good be its own reward? Isn't that what charity is all about? Being generous and charitable because you know it's right, regardless of what you get in return? If someone needs a reward for doing good, it tarnishes the act, don't you think?

Also, if you have two people, one who goes to church every Sunday, prays every day, worships God every day and follows his word. The other is an Atheist but is twice as altruistic, twice as charitable, twice as magnanimous as the first one.
    Which one do you believe has the better chance of receiving your "infinite gains"?
    Everyone is entitled to take what they want or believe the quote means.
    I've posted mine.

The rest of this is just you voicing your opinion and I've already answered them.

15. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

?

\

I'll not only say the first example has a better chance, the first one has the only chance.

16. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm more then prepared.

Are you prepared to answer for yours; should be something you might want to be more concerned about.
    Look at post #161. DT seems to think there's a possibility that people can buy their way into heaven based on his second paragraph.

17. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Look at post #161. DT seems to think there's a possibility that people can buy their way into heaven based on his second paragraph.
    Does this mean that you believe in ...er....heaven ?

Maria Ressa.