Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: a primary election is not a government election

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Since there are no parties involved the WI primary appears to be a governmental election.
    That was my point in post #31

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 171 Times in 164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    the Democratic party are under no LAWS forcing them to treat sanders as an equal to ANY other Democratic party member

More loyal Party members DESERVED to be treated better than Bernie

Its a party election

a partys choice on who better represents the Democratic party

Bernie had no right to complain that he was not treated like a life long member in good standing

he was never a democratic party member

he had to ASK if he could run AS a democratic party member

the Democratic party could have said fuck no

they gave him the HONOR

He used it

he sued Russian lies he knew were lies

fuck Bernie sanders
    I hate to admit this, but I think you're right. Bernie and his supporters have no grounds to complain. On the other hand the DNC should never have allowed Bernie to run in their primary to begin with.
    I still think dims are pretty stupid for nominating hrc, the worst person to run for president including Trump since anybody I can remember.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,762 Times in 4,511 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    So if the rank and file backed Hillary and not the rich did all the wealthy Democrats back Bernie?
    Wealthy contributors certainly backed Hillary if you look at the campaign contribution disclosure sites.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    That was my point in post #31
    Yes, that was the reason for my last reply. Originally I thought you were just pointing out an election called "nonpartisan" that included a primary--then it hit me later that it was a government election.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Wealthy contributors certainly backed Hillary if you look at the campaign contribution disclosure sites.
    I'm well aware the rich backed Hillary. I have plenty of them that live around me as well. Desh is just lying to herself

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm well aware the rich backed Hillary. I have plenty of them that live around me as well. Desh is just lying to herself
    I looked to see whether the wealthy law firms in my area were backing Hillary or Obama in 2008. I was surprised to see they were backing Edwards although it is very understandable.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I looked to see whether the wealthy law firms in my area were backing Hillary or Obama in 2008. I was surprised to see they were backing Edwards although it is very understandable.
    To that point, working in real estate I think there were a number of people (on the commercial side at least) in the industry to see a guy with Trump's background as President.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I think Desh is channeling Dixie by about 1/3. Elections are a part of government. How could a primary not be a government election? But there I go again...being logical.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cawacko (02-12-2018)

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I think Desh is channeling Dixie by about 1/3. Elections are a part of government. How could a primary not be a government election? But there I go again...being logical.
    Because most primaries are administered by political parties under party rules. Depending on the state, the state might finance part or all of the primary cost and primary rules (date, type of primary) may be closely regulated by the state or left largely to the party. So, they are essentially party functions and not government with the exceptions noted in the posts.

However, court decisions have struck down certain primary practices. Although the Constitution applies only to governmental functions and not private entities, courts have ruled primaries may not violate certain constitutional principles because they are part of the process of electing governmental officials. For example, the white primary was found unconstitutional.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,837 Times in 17,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

In America most primaries are open, closed or caucuses. Open allows you to vote across party lines. Closed ,you have to be a registered party member to vote. Caucuses are crazy behind the scene elections that are dominated by party leaders .

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    In America most primaries are open, closed or caucuses. Open allows you to vote across party lines. Closed ,you have to be a registered party member to vote. Caucuses are crazy behind the scene elections that are dominated by party leaders .
    A few states also have "blanket primaries." The ballot contains the names of call candidates for all parties and all voters vote on the same ballot. In some, the top Democrat and top Republican face each other in the general election and in others it is the top two. [this applies only to direct primaries and not presidential primaries]

Caucuses are no longer controlled by party leaders as they were before the reforms following the 1968 election. Today, a candidate has to be given essentially the same percentage of delegates as the percentage of supporters attending the caucus. Some states have a caucus to select the delegates but the percentage of delegates supporting each candidate is determined in the presidential primary. Democrats do not allow winner take all and delegates must contain "one half of the opposite sex", some younger and minority delegates.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bernie made it a point to collect from small donors. Not an accident.

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Bernie made it a point to collect from small donors. Not an accident.
    True, but Bernie had to rely on smaller donors because Hillary wrapped up most of the larger contributors, especially in the financial area.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

True, but Bernie had to rely on smaller donors because Hillary wrapped up most of the larger contributors, especially in the financial area.
    Did you say in your opinion? If so, i missed it.. bernie make it a big point from the start. Hillary did not.

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Did you say in your opinion? If so, i missed it.. bernie make it a big point from the start. Hillary did not.
    Don't you think Bernie did it by necessity? Do you think he could have taken much of the campaign contributions from the large donors, corporations, financial firms? Those people are not going to support Sanders if for no other reason than because they knew he was unlikely to win the party's nomination and he was not friendly to corporations and the financial industry.

The story on the indictments on the Russians said they wanted to attack Hillary and the other candidates but not Trump or Sanders because they supported them.