Thread: Democrats Win Special Election In Missouri District That Went Big For Trump

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Democrats Win Special Election In Missouri District That Went Big For Trump

Democrats have dominated at the ballot box during Trump’s time in office.

Democrats flipped a Missouri state House seat Tuesday, marking the 35th seat that has changed from red to blue since Donald Trump became president.

Mike Revis, 27, defeated his Republican opponent in a special election Tuesday by 3 percentage points.

The 97th District in Jefferson County went for Trump in the presidential election by 28 points. The area is historically Democratic but has recently tilted Republican.

In other words, the district has swung 31 percentage points toward Democrats since Trump won last year.

“Rep.-elect Mike Revis’s victory tonight will undoubtedly send another shockwave through the GOP as we continue to run the best candidates focused on addressing local issues and improving their neighbors’ quality of life,” said Jessica Post, executive director of a group dedicated to electing Democrats at the state level. “The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee continues to be impressed by our dedicated and talented slate of candidates, who have stepped up to run in these precedent-setting special elections.”

Revis is a procurement manager at Anheuser-Busch Inbev. He ran against Republican David Linton, 59, who stressed his opposition to abortion rights and his support for the Second Amendment.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000009
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

one more nail

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

Historically democrat....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2018.2 For This Post:

Bigdog (02-07-2018)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

No one has made a big deal about this yet, but I don't think there has been a single election since Trump was elected where Democrats didn't outperform historical #'s. Whether in districts that they won, or even races that they lost where they were anywhere from 10-25% closer than Democrats have usually done in red areas.

I think it's going to be an utter romp in November. Dems might take back the House, and the Senate could be a status quo election (which would be a huge win for Dems given the significantly favorable landscape for the GOP this year).

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Democrats have dominated at the ballot box during Trump’s time in office.

The magic number is 24 .. in an environment where democrats could win 44+ seats.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,394 Times in 5,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 908 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

So when it was pubs under Obama, it was normal, no big deal.... But somehow, it is now a bug deal.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    No one has made a big deal about this yet, but I don't think there has been a single election since Trump was elected where Democrats didn't outperform historical #'s. Whether in districts that they won, or even races that they lost where they were anywhere from 10-25% closer than Democrats have usually done in red areas.

I think it's going to be an utter romp in November. Dems might take back the House, and the Senate could be a status quo election (which would be a huge win for Dems given the significantly favorable landscape for the GOP this year).
    all about turnout. GOP voters are not as enthused for the special elections. We will see if they have the same attitude for election day 2018
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

That's what usually happens. Voters tend toward balancing the government, mostly. Democrats controlled congress and the white house too when Obama was elected but then Republicans took back congress. My state, Virginia, is the same way. We elected two different Democrat governors.while Republicans maintained the assembly.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Democrats flip deep-red Missouri state House seat, signal problems for GOP

Democrats flipped a Missouri House seat in Tuesday’s special election in a district that President Trump won by 28 points in 2016, signaling problems for the GOP ahead of the 2018 midterm elections.

Democrat Mike Revis won the election with nearly 52 percent of the vote while Republican David Linton received 48 percent. Tuesday’s election marks a 31-point swing to Democrats in the district compared to the 2016 presidential election.

“Representative-elect Mike Revis’s victory tonight will undoubtedly send another shockwave through the GOP as we continue to run the best candidates focused on addressing local issues and improving their neighbors’ quality of life,” Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee Executive Director Jessica Post said in a statement.

“The DLCC continues to be impressed by our dedicated and talented slate of candidates, who have stepped up to run in these precedent-setting special elections."

Revis, a 27-year-old procurement manager, ran on a platform as a centrist Democrat with particular focus on education, access to health care and support for the labor community, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

State Rep. Peter Merideth, D-St. Louis, told the newspaper that Revis’ win was “enormous” and made possible only due to “a lot of grass-roots support and a hardworking, authentic moderate candidate from his community.”

The election result might signal the changing tide for the GOP that is heading into the midterm elections this year against a highly-mobilized Democratic opposition united against the president.

In December, embattled Republican Roy Moore lost a deep-red Senate seat in Alabama to Democrat Doug Jones, making him the first Democrat in a decade to win any statewide office in the state.

Last month, Democrat Patty Schachtner flipped a state Senate seat in Wisconsin that had been held by Republicans since the start of the century in a district that Trump carried by 17 points in the presidential election.

Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker called the results a “wake up call” for the party.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...s-for-gop.html

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

oh look, balckascrap woke up this morning and found a reason to live

you're a troll
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    That's what usually happens. Voters tend toward balancing the government, mostly. Democrats controlled congress and the white house too when Obama was elected but then Republicans took back congress. My state, Virginia, is the same way. We elected two different Democrat governors.while Republicans maintained the assembly.
    Agreed - and I've been saying that. Midterms generally go well for the party out of power.

I think this is poised to be a '94-type blowout, though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

TrippyHippy (02-07-2018)

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Agreed - and I've been saying that. Midterms generally go well for the party out of power.

I think this is poised to be a '94-type blowout, though.
    You're probably right. Especially with congressional approval ratings as low as they are. Blowouts tend to happen after a session like that.

If only people realized simply putting another party in power will do little to nothing to fix institutional problems. I think people acknowledge the problems with our government, but they blame it on the party currently in power and go put the opposing party in power next election. Then, after, that party fails, they put the first party back in. Rinse, repeat. It's mental. I believe Einstein's definition of insanity fits well here.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Democrats Flip Yet Another Legislative Seat in a State Trump Won by a Landslide
    The GOP could be facing a reckoning in the mid-term elections.

Democrats have just pulled of their second upset of 2018. A Republican legislative seat in Missouri flipped from red to blue on Tuesday night as Democrat Mike Revis won House District 97. This district went heavily for Trump, giving him a 61-33 margin in 2016.

This seat had been in GOP hands for at least eight years, but on Tuesday, Revis captured it with a 52-48 victory—a massive 31-point swing from the 2016 presidential results.

Tuesday’s win in Missouri is far from the first Democratic flip in a red state this cycle, though. In 2017, Democrats picked up four seats in special elections in Oklahoma and another in Georgia. And just a couple of weeks ago, Democrats flipped a historically Republican seat in Wisconsin.

Overall, this victory is Democrats’ 35th red-to-blue state legislative flip this cycle, compared to just four for Republicans. The GOP’s ongoing inability to hold on to formerly safe seats is terrible news for the party in November’s elections at every level of the ballot. The reckoning is here, and no Republican is safe.
    https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-po...-won-landslide