Members banned from this thread: CFM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way too early look at the 2018 college football season

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Default The way too early look at the 2018 college football season

Joe Klatt has Alabama at #1. Given the recruiting Saban has done and the play from the freshman QB, it could be back-to-back championships.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,419 Times in 16,408 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Never too early to talk football...Who had the best recruiting class?

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    Signing Day is Feb. 7th.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So far, according to a source I just checked, Ohio State has the #1 class. But they have no room for error if someone flips. Georgia is #2, with a shot at passing OSU if they get a few 5 star players.

Alabama is currently #5, but has the potential for moving up. Nick Saban can land some big fish and end up #1 again. He does have a recruiting pitch that no one else can match. Every recruiting class he has had, if the player stayed, has at least one National Championship ring.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    So far, according to a source I just checked, Ohio State has the #1 class. But they have no room for error if someone flips. Georgia is #2, with a shot at passing OSU if they get a few 5 star players.

Alabama is currently #5, but has the potential for moving up. Nick Saban can land some big fish and end up #1 again. He does have a recruiting pitch that no one else can match. Every recruiting class he has had, if the player stayed, has at least one National Championship ring.
    I know...when I posted that, it could have flipped in the last couple of hours...
    Urban has it all over Nick imho...of course, I haven't met Saban
    We shall see....Hopefully, another exciting year for all...Spring games not far away

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I know...when I posted that, it could have flipped in the last couple of hours...
    Urban has it all over Nick imho...of course, I haven't met Saban
    We shall see....Hopefully, another exciting year for all...Spring games not far away
    Urban has a good class lined up. And he recruits very well. Saban has a few spots to fill, but has had the #1 class for like 9 years running. Lots of talent on both teams.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Urban has a good class lined up. And he recruits very well. Saban has a few spots to fill, but has had the #1 class for like 9 years running. Lots of talent on both teams.
    Lots...we'll see...#1 is just a number sometimes...
    And yes, very talented and sometimes unpredictable teams...
    I do wish they would change the playoff system...
    And I want to go back to the Big 10...lol

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Do any of those schools, especially Alabama, ever graduate football players?

Always found it interesting how a State as Alabama, one of the poorest in the country and one that relys on the Federal dollars, has football coaches as the highest paid employees in the State

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think The Ohio State University is about 7 out of 10 football players...much higher rate for overall athletes (9 out of 10)

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think The Ohio State University is about 7 out of 10 football players...much higher rate for overall athletes (9 out of 10)
    I'd imagine not the norm at Alabama, or the majority of SEC schools, and, yes, I know Vanderbilt and Florida are in the SEC, the exceptions

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Do any of those schools, especially Alabama, ever graduate football players?

Always found it interesting how a State as Alabama, one of the poorest in the country and one that relys on the Federal dollars, has football coaches as the highest paid employees in the State
    The University of Alabama football graduation rate is better than the national average for all students, not just athletes. The Crimson Tide has a graduation rate of 84%. The national average for all college students is 59%.

As for the coaches pay, it has been a profitable venture. Coach Saban was hired in 2007 for $4 million (not all of that comes from the school). Alabama is one of the top 10 most profitable college football programs in the nation. The last figure I was was for the 2015 or 2016 season. The University made $46 million in profit from the football program. Since Saban has been at Alabama, out-of-state enrollment has grown by leaps and bounds.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'd imagine not the norm at Alabama, or the majority of SEC schools, and, yes, I know Vanderbilt and Florida are in the SEC, the exceptions
    I quoted the graduation rates for Alabama. MS State and South Carolina are 2 of the 8 teams that went to bowl games this past season that graduated at least 93% of its overall players, and at least 81% of its black players. Alabama's graduation for black players is 79.

So the old generalities about football being nothing but ignorant jocks is no longer even close to accurate.

A couple of years ago, Alabama had an offensive lineman who started all 4 years, played every position on the offensive line, and in the 4 years he was there he earned a BS in Accounting, graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA, and got his masters in Accouting and again maintained a 4.0. The QB that led the Crimson Tide to the National Championship in 2009 was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship.

Last year Alabama finished 6th in the NCAA College Football Academic Top 25.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's no easy task to be a college athlete and a great student...there are many, though...without question...

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The University of Alabama football graduation rate is better than the national average for all students, not just athletes. The Crimson Tide has a graduation rate of 84%. The national average for all college students is 59%.

As for the coaches pay, it has been a profitable venture. Coach Saban was hired in 2007 for $4 million (not all of that comes from the school). Alabama is one of the top 10 most profitable college football programs in the nation. The last figure I was was for the 2015 or 2016 season. The University made $46 million in profit from the football program. Since Saban has been at Alabama, out-of-state enrollment has grown by leaps and bounds.
    "At the University of Alabama, Nick Saban gets $11.132 million a year, plus bonuses, the highest salary for any college coach. His assistants’ pay, according to USA Today, totals $5.995 million, most in the nation."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipbo.../#45f4a0b81b97

So you got sixteen million in salaries, and last I knew, Alabama wasn't the only big time football school in the State of Alabama. The salaries are paid by the State, it may come via the school, but it is a State institution funded by the State

And as for the graduation rate, that includes the entire football team, including all those kids who are added as walk ons for home games, and you can book that the actual graduation rates, especially for black football players, who make up the majority of contributing players, isn't in the 80% percent range, and that includes those with home ec majors

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"At the University of Alabama, Nick Saban gets $11.132 million a year, plus bonuses, the highest salary for any college coach. His assistants’ pay, according to USA Today, totals $5.995 million, most in the nation."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/filipbo.../#45f4a0b81b97

So you got sixteen million in salaries, and last I knew, Alabama wasn't the only big time football school in the State of Alabama. The salaries are paid by the State, it may come via the school, but it is a State institution funded by the State

And as for the graduation rate, that includes the entire football team, including all those kids who are added as walk ons for home games, and you can book that the actual graduation rates, especially for black football players, who make up the majority of contributing players, isn't in the 80% percent range, and that includes those with home ec majors
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-up/108298402/

The graduation rate for all football players at the University of Alabama is currently at 84%. For black players it is 79%. So no, black players are not in the 80% range. But only by the slimmest of margins.

Also, only part of the $11.32 million salary for Nick Saban comes from the university.

As for what they get for their money, the University of Alabama is quite proud of what they have done since Saban has been there. He has raised the UA profile nationally.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...son/794275001/

" And the university is on a roll every bit as much as its football team. In 2006, the year before Saban arrived, Alabama reports it had an incoming freshman class of 4,404 students (2,926 in-state and 1,478 out of state). This fall’s incoming class, the school says, is 7,407 students (2,406 in-state and 5,001 out of state).

Alabama ensures the quality of much of its student body the same way that Saban ensures the competitiveness of his football team — with aggressive recruiting and liberal offers of scholarships. Alabama reports 41% of its incoming class scored 30 or higher on the ACT (versus 13% in 2006) while 34% had a GPA of 4.0 or higher in high school (versus 17% in 2006)."