Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYC cracks down on cops selling get-out-of-jail cards!!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,999 Times in 14,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    I see what you mean. Life picks favorites, shit happens. I get that. But being showed favoritism by a band and being showed favoritism by an institution tasked with upholding the law is apples to oranges. Very different situations. For the sake of true justice, the law must always be enforced equally. Being family or friend of a cop, or even being a cop for that matter, should never get you any special treatment regarding our nation's laws. No matter how benign.
    Yea. I've heard of some troopers who didn't give a crap what card you have, or who you know. My issue was with the alarmism in the title of this thread. I don't see these as 'get out of jail free' cards. Hell...anyone can get one for a donation to the cop's funds mentioned above. It seems that the sale of same is the issue in the OP. I suppose they could spend more money, and have a number on each card. Each cop/donor has their name attached to each number. Then they can track the ones on Ebay. Too much hassle, I guess.

Compared to insider trading, I don't give this much weight.

On an unrelated note, that's awesome you got to see the dead from 14th row!
    Yea...those days were great. No hassle getting seats. Didn't last that long, though. I've been lucky for lots of shows. First show I every saw, I went grudgingly. My best friend since grade school was a Dead Head, and got tix the day of the show...last row in the house. Of course, back then, they played places like the Capitol Theater...5000 seats.

I was into 'progressive rock'..Yes, ELP, Genesis....but also blues and blues based rock. I wasn't particularly into the Dead.

I was aware of some of their songs. Truckin' was on the radio. Casey Jones. This show was the Terrapin tour.

Back then you could bring cameras in...no problem. Long story short, I was able to sneak from my seat in the back of the house, all the way to the first row. Elbows on stage, camera in hand.

Been a Dead Head since.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

TrippyHippy (01-22-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Ah, the fact checker I included showed he was correct
    the fact checker you included used biased information to lead you to perceive he was correct. there are very few unbiased news sources or place for facts anymore and knowing what i know of bloomberg.......well i'd almost believe the SPLC first
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    It's a little more complex than that. Fact: Cops have mandatory minimums when it comes to writing tickets. When Bloomberg took over NYC, he mandated a tenfold increase in parking tickets in order to raise revenue. Outside of the city, state troopers have mandatory minimums when it comes to speeding tickets on the highways.

Having one of these courtesy cards typically means you made a contribution to any of a number of police associations. Or...you have a friend/relative on the force.

They do NOT act as 'get out of jail free' cards. Not even close.
    quotas for law enforcement are illegal..................so you must not be telling the truth /sarcasm
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    As I said, NYC is the safest large city in America, must be the NYPD is doing something correct even with what you see as an apparent "injustice," I'd let the citizens of NYC worry about it
    so you think that the citizens of NYC should be the ones to accept if their local police agencies are acting illegally or unconstitutionally?

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,999 Times in 14,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    quotas for law enforcement are illegal..................so you must not be telling the truth /sarcasm
    You kids are so cute sometimes.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,229 Times in 3,447 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,212 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I agree. I've had those cards in the past as a distant family member. Honestly, I rarely get pulled over, but even when I don't have a current card, I've learned to talk my way out of a variety of low level nonsense...seat belt, talking on the phone, etc...
    You are sick and dangerous. You consider text driving "low-level nonsense"? On a par with not buckled up?

Text-drivers are killers and as bad or worse than drunk drivers. You belong in a cage.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)