Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYC cracks down on cops selling get-out-of-jail cards!!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,231 Times in 3,449 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,212 Times in 1,887 Posts

Default NYC cracks down on cops selling get-out-of-jail cards!!

How long has this been going on??? Is there one honest cop in this world??

https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/police...-cards-issued/

jan 21 2018 The city’s police-officers union is cracking down on the number of “get out of jail free” courtesy cards distributed to cops to give to family and friends.

Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association boss Pat Lynch slashed the maximum number of cards that could be issued to current cops from 30 to 20, and to retirees from 20 to 10, sources told The Post.

The cards are often used to wiggle out of minor trouble such as speeding tickets, the theory being that presenting one suggests you know someone in the NYPD.

“They are treating active members like s–t, and retired members even worse than s–t,” griped an NYPD cop who retired on disability. “All the cops I spoke to were . . . very disappointed they couldn’t hand them out as Christmas gifts.”

A source said Lynch ordered the cutback to stop the sale of the cards, which were being hawked on eBay last week for as much as $200.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

slashed the maximum number of cards that could be issued to current cops from 30 to 20
    How about slashing them to zero? Just because you know a cop, that puts you above the law? That's not justice.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TrippyHippy For This Post:

Rune (01-22-2018)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,242 Times in 13,967 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

NYC is probably the safest large city in America, I wouldn't worry about the NYPD doing their job

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,231 Times in 3,449 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,212 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    NYC is probably the safest large city in America, I wouldn't worry about the NYPD doing their job
    That is insane. It's not baltimore but it's not tokyo either. With all the blacks and illegals in NYC, it's a crime paradise.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

6. The Following User Groans At Text Drivers are Killers For This Awful Post:

Rune (01-22-2018)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

most people are too idiotically brainwashed about cops and their role in the government. they just need to experience the injustice of it to change their minds.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Text Drivers are Killers View Post
    That is insane. It's not baltimore but it's not tokyo either. With all the blacks and illegals in NYC, it's a crime paradise.
    And what we have here is the Middle America/Southern view of NYC, it is like the NYT, they never read it, but believe everything they ever heard about it, most likely the poster has never even been there

Safest large city in America, safer than States with similar size populations, fact

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...t-big-city-us/

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

like anyone should believe the bullshit that bloomberg spews
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pfffft. This is chicken scratch. It is the Judges you need to have in your pocket. Go large or go home.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    The issue here isn't about the NYPD's ability to keep the city safe. The issue is the department giving special treatment to friends and families of cops by allowing officers to give out cards which grant one leniency where others wouldn't for the same crime. That's bullshit.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    How about slashing them to zero? Just because you know a cop, that puts you above the law? That's not justice.
    It's a little more complex than that. Fact: Cops have mandatory minimums when it comes to writing tickets. When Bloomberg took over NYC, he mandated a tenfold increase in parking tickets in order to raise revenue. Outside of the city, state troopers have mandatory minimums when it comes to speeding tickets on the highways.

Having one of these courtesy cards typically means you made a contribution to any of a number of police associations. Or...you have a friend/relative on the force.

They do NOT act as 'get out of jail free' cards. Not even close.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    It's a little more complex than that. Fact: Cops have mandatory minimums when it comes to writing tickets. When Bloomberg took over NYC, he mandated a tenfold increase in parking tickets in order to raise revenue. Outside of the city, state troopers have mandatory minimums when it comes to speeding tickets on the highways.

Having one of these courtesy cards typically means you made a contribution to any of a number of police associations. Or...you have a friend/relative on the force.

They do NOT act as 'get out of jail free' cards. Not even close.
    I am fully aware that they are not literal 'get out of jail free' cards. But they do grant leniency, even if on benign matters such as speeding or parking, to friends/family of cops where others would not receive the same. That is not justice, that is favoritism.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    like anyone should believe the bullshit that bloomberg spews
    Ah, the fact checker I included showed he was correct

15. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am fully aware that they are not literal 'get out of jail free' cards. But they do grant leniency, even if on benign matters such as speeding or parking, to friends/family of cops where others would not receive the same. That is not justice, that is favoritism.
    As I said, NYC is the safest large city in America, must be the NYPD is doing something correct even with what you see as an apparent "injustice," I'd let the citizens of NYC worry about it

16. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

I agree. I've had those cards in the past as a distant family member. Honestly, I rarely get pulled over, but even when I don't have a current card, I've learned to talk my way out of a variety of low level nonsense...seat belt, talking on the phone, etc...A lot of times, if you have a good story with corresponding delivery, you get lucky.

But isn't most of life about favoritism? Or at least a 'who you know' game? Years ago, I had a contact(once removed) inside Grateful Dead productions, and would get the same 14'th row seats directly from the office for every venue. I had to buy the tickets, but I wasn't feeling guilty about the favoritism.

Tix were very cool too! Not like getting a Ticketmaster (or if you're old...Ticketron)printed ticket. These were pieces of art. Come to think of it...that connection got me into my first/only New Year's Show.

img025.jpg
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

TrippyHippy (01-22-2018)

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I agree. I've had those cards in the past as a distant family member. Honestly, I rarely get pulled over, but even when I don't have a current card, I've learned to talk my way out of a variety of low level nonsense...seat belt, talking on the phone, etc...A lot of times, if you have a good story with corresponding delivery, you get lucky.

But isn't most of life about favoritism? Or at least a 'who you know' game? Years ago, I had a contact(once removed) inside Grateful Dead productions, and would get the same 14'th row seats directly from the office for every venue. I had to buy the tickets, but I wasn't feeling guilty about the favoritism.

Tix were very cool too! Not like getting a Ticketmaster (or if you're old...Ticketron)printed ticket. These were pieces of art. Come to think of it...that connection got me into my first/only New Year's Show.

img025.jpg
    I see what you mean. Life picks favorites, shit happens. I get that. But being showed favoritism by a band and being showed favoritism by an institution tasked with upholding the law is apples to oranges. Very different situations. For the sake of true justice, the law must always be enforced equally. Being family or friend of a cop, or even being a cop for that matter, should never get you any special treatment regarding our nation's laws. No matter how benign.

On an unrelated note, that's awesome you got to see the dead from 14th row!