Members banned from this thread: evince, iewitness, Text Drivers are Killers and CFM

Thread: Lying to kids about drugs is dangerous

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Lightbulb Lying to kids about drugs is dangerous

Soon as kids discover that they've been lied to about weed since grade school, it makes them question the whole integrity of DARE, U.S drug policy, and the anti drug movement in general. There are legitimate dangers to drug abuse. But propagandizing cannabis, the way the US does, leads to a backlash when the kids find out the truth. That many people, practicing responsible use, can lead normal, fulfilling lives while using cannabis.

In fact, many drugs in general have desireable effects that are played down by current attempts at emphasizing only the dangers. For example, when kids are taught that you will "go crazy, get sick, and die" if you use psychedelic drugs...then find out that psychedelic drugs are often quite beneficial for your mental health and that people don't always "go crazy, get sick, and die" right after using these hallucinogens, they disbelieve all the dangers which creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. This distrust of U.S drug policy and the anti-drug movement leads kids to be more brazen about dosage, frequency of use, and even the specific drugs they choose to experiment with. I.e: "Man, this LSD didn't send me to a mental hospital. This is probably safe to use all the time. And I bet they're full of shit on cocaine and heroin too!" We need to have honest discussion with our kids about drugs. Much like sex ed, we badly need drug ed. Drug use should most certainly not be encouraged in children, however the fact of the matter is many kids are going to experiment with drugs regardless of how many adults are screaming at them not to. That's kids. It's best that they be completely educated about the risks, and how to practice safer use. Honest, impartial instruction about both the potential merits and dangers is what is needed. That responsible use of some can be fine, the signs to watch out for leading to addiction, and the harms of overuse or misuse would go a long way towards keeping people safe.

Scare tactics simply fail.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrippyHippy For This Post:

evince (01-22-2018), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wonder if any of those kids who are addicted to heroin were lied to.......

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I wonder if any of those kids who are addicted to heroin were lied to.......
    Completely missed the whole point of my post. Thanks. The dating of our posts is very telling of your posting style actually, only about two minutes apart. Very indicative of your tendency to have knee-jerk reactions based on your preconceived biases instead of reading (fully) others' posts, taking the time to comprehend what you read and consider the message before replying. This is clear by not only that short period of time between our posts, but also the length and complete uselessness of your response. I threadbanned CFM, evince, and iewitness for the same crap. Apparently I forgot one. I won't next time.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    Completely missed the whole point of my post. Thanks. The dating of our posts is very telling of your posting style actually, only about two minutes apart. Very indicative of your tendency to have knee-jerk reactions based on your preconceived biases instead of reading (fully) others' posts, taking the time to comprehend what you read and consider the message before replying. This is clear by not only that short period of time between our posts, but also the length and complete uselessness of your response. I threadbanned CFM, evince, and iewitness for the same crap. Apparently I forgot one. I won't next time.
    I envision you as hanging around junior high schools with a backpack full of pills, offering free samples to children............

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

I envision you as hanging around junior high schools with a backpack full of pills, offering free samples to children............
    That's just asinine. There's no way you gleaned that from his post.
    Every life matters

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

Cypress (01-21-2018), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2018), TrippyHippy (01-21-2018)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not going to entertain this derailment of the thread topic. K thanks, bye.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrippyHippy For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (01-22-2018), countryboy (01-21-2018), ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2018)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Soon as kids discover that they've been lied to about weed since grade school, it makes them question the whole integrity of DARE, U.S drug policy, and the anti drug movement in general. There are legitimate dangers to drug abuse. But propagandizing cannabis, the way the US does, leads to a backlash when the kids find out the truth. That many people, practicing responsible use, can lead normal, fulfilling lives while using cannabis....

Scare tactics simply fail.
    I readily admit to using scare tactics on my own kids. Not about weed, which I see as mostly benign. I saved the heavy guns for illegal substances that are truly harmful and offer nothing but injury, death, and/or imprisonment.... meth. Heroin. Crack. Roofies. Script drugs cut with other stuff. Told them that ppl take drugs for various reasons.... they make you feel good. If you're depressed they can lift your mood, but there are safer things to do to get the same effect. Drugs can be a way to connect with other ppl in a group. And so on. We didn't discuss psychedelics much since they weren't much of a thing when they were teenagers, at least in our area. Agree with you -- be truthful and honest, even if it's difficult for you at the time. Same with talking about sexuality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

TrippyHippy (01-21-2018)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Funny you should say that. I picture you hanging around schools trying to pass out Bibles and Jesus tracts, while screaming cusswords at the fleeing kids that if they don't listen they're all going to HELL.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I am no expert on teenage psychology, but in my opinion kids do not want to be lectured, and it never works.
    Of course they need access to accurate information.
    But, the best thing one can do, IMO, is to be a role model, and to try to have some influence on who they end up making friends with...if you get them into sports, music, positive activities when they are young, they will probably meet kids who have their shit together.

I never, ever saw my parent drunk or impaired in any way, and they had me into football, baseball, cello, books, art and culture from an early age. I am sure it had an affect on my teenage years in ways both tangible, and intangible.

Once they meet the wrong kids, and start hanging out with the wrong crowd, the peer pressure is overwhelming, and it really is too late to do much --- except limit the damage.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Cancel 2018.1 (01-22-2018)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am no expert on teenage psychology, but in my opinion kids do not want to be lectured, and it never works.
    Of course they need access to accurate information.
    But, the best thing one can do, IMO, is to be a role model, and to try to have some influence on who they end up making friends with...if you get them into sports, music, positive activities when they are young, they will probably meet kids who have their shit together.

Once they meet the wrong kids, and start hanging out with the wrong crowd, the peer pressure is overwhelming, and it really is too late to do much --- except limit the damage.
    Very true. That happened to the younger of my two sons.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Very true. That happened to the younger of my two sons.
    Yes, from what I can tell, it all boils down to who they make friends with, the crowd they end up hanging with....and to some extent, there is probably ways to influence how that all unfolds.

To this day, I am thankful that my high school friends were the football jocks....and the dungeons and dragons geeks! The worst I ever did was drink some beers, and smoke a few joints. Pretty damn tame, really!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (01-21-2018)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That's just asinine. There's no way you gleaned that from his post.
    I know....I had to remember his previous threads.....

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

While you appear to have an ability to string together words, you failed to answer his question.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    While you appear to have an ability to string together words, you failed to answer his question.
    Because it wasn't even a question, first of all. And what he said was not relevant to my thread in any way. His response made it clear he did not read the OP. Or, if he did read it, he certainly failed to grasp the point. I am happy to intelligently discuss this issue with anybody who has productive things to add. I will not, however, tolerate the derailment that happens on almost every other thread on this forum.
    Last edited by TrippyHippy; 01-22-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo